OT - anyone considering DirecTV?

Anyone considering DirecTV to get the BTN? If so, please contact me with a PM before you order it. They’re running a promotion that gives you $100 for each referral.

no, contact me!

…kidding of course. But seriously.

On a more serious note, since it’s funny you bring up directv… finally got HD hooked up just today by Directv (upgraded, not a new sign up… sorry pal), and it’s beautiful.

Was always envious of going to friend’s houses where they had it… i can’t foresee ever needing to leave my house again.

I have been with Direct for 3 years. They have been a little pricey but provided service far better than anything I ever got from Comcast. My area just got
att-uverse. Price is a better and HD is part of the basic package. Best thing on this is that Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly. Just wondering if any board members are already using the att-uverse and how the experience has been?

Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly

Until they buy NBC universal… Not really sure a cable provider should own that many channels… Could all those channels become Comcast exclusives??

Until they buy NBC universal… Not really sure a cable provider should own that many channels… Could all those channels become Comcast exclusives??[/quote]

No they can’t.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:5, topic:411"][quote]Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly[/quote]

Until they buy NBC universal… Not really sure a cable provider should own that many channels… Could all those channels become Comcast exclusives??[/quote]

No they can’t.

Just Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia. Not quite exclusive, but close enough.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:5, topic:411"][quote]Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly[/quote]

No they can’t.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting. If you mean that Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia is exclusive, then you’d be correct. If you mean that Comcast could put the NBC channels on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia or treat them like Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia, then you would be incorrect.

By law, Comcast must offer the NBC channels to other cable companies and satellite providers. They cannot make them exclusive like Comcast Sportsnet is.

No they can’t.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting. If you mean that Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia is exclusive, then you’d be correct. If you mean that Comcast could put the NBC channels on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia or treat them like Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia, then you would be incorrect.

By law, Comcast must offer the NBC channels to other cable companies and satellite providers. They cannot make them exclusive like Comcast Sportsnet is.

Yes, but look what they’ve done to Versus. I really enjoy the Stanley Cup playoffs, but being a DirectTV subscriber I don’t get it anymore beacuse Comcast (who owns Versus) and DirectTV are at am impass over subscriber fees.

I’m sure that Comact will start pulling this same strategy given the chance to do this with the whole NBC family of channels.

The law says they have to make it available. There’s nothing that says they have to price it fairly.

You know, this could be the “breaking point” for the cafeteria style subscriptions… Then comcat and Direct TV customers would have to know what every channel “costs” and could choose accordingly, and the pricing games for certian channels would be out in the open. Of course, I know that both Comcast and DirectTv want to avoid this desperately but that would cerianly be the “nuclear option” of Comcast gets outr of control with how they treat the NBC channels.

No they can’t.

I mean that Comcast is running their antiquated microwave setup or whatever it is to keep from having to make Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia available to the satellite companies.

I’ve hat DirecTV since the BTN went online and I’m happy with the product. Where I live, Comcast doesn’t provide CSN-Philadelphia (even though the area is designated a Philadelphia sports market for all the pro sports) so I’m not losing anything. If you want CSN-Philly programming you won’t have it on DirecTV.

To make matters worse :-[, if you want to buy MLB baseball extra innings on DirecTV or on the internet, the Phillies games will be blacked out if you’re in their market.

It will be interesting to see what Comcast does with NFL football. That’s a subscriber breaker if not available on DirectTV, or too costly.

With NBC, Comcast Zeros in on ESPN
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Sports Business
NYTimes
Published: December 1, 2009

[quote=“Duff, post:4, topic:411”]I have been with Direct for 3 years. They have been a little pricey but provided service far better than anything I ever got from Comcast. My area just got
att-uverse. Price is a better and HD is part of the basic package. Best thing on this is that Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly. Just wondering if any board members are already using the att-uverse and how the experience has been?[/quote]

I’ve had UVerse for a little more than a year now…I love it. No complaints at all.

My problem with DirecTV was the fact that it would go out all the time during storms…a worse problem when I lived in the country. It was better when I moved into the city, and only major monsoons knocked it out. But UVerse was cheaper and, again, I’ve had zero complaints.

I’m kind of surprised no-one picked up on my cafeteria plan comments. Consumer groups have been clamoring for this for years, and if Comcast tries to play hardball with one of the major networks, you could see Congress get involved, and I think this is where they would go, and neither side wants that. If the fear is a merging of content and distribution, the cafeteria pricing concept is the way to seperate the 2 again.

Right now, the major distributors differentiate themselves based mostly on slight differences in content offerings (all the major channels are available on all systems). If Comcast upsets that apple-cart, a cafeteria plan (with basically all channels available for a price) would make it harder for the distributors harder to differentiate themselves, which would not be good for their buisness models.

Therefore, I think you’ll see some carping at the margins (like the Versus issue) but there won’t be any major programming change of signifincance becuase neither side wants the alternative.

[quote="Duff, post:4, topic:411"]I have been with Direct for 3 years. They have been a little pricey but provided service far better than anything I ever got from Comcast. My area just got att-uverse. Price is a better and HD is part of the basic package. Best thing on this is that Comcast no longer has the cable monopoly. Just wondering if any board members are already using the att-uverse and how the experience has been?[/quote]

I’ve had UVerse for a little more than a year now…I love it. No complaints at all.

My problem with DirecTV was the fact that it would go out all the time during storms…a worse problem when I lived in the country. It was better when I moved into the city, and only major monsoons knocked it out. But UVerse was cheaper and, again, I’ve had zero complaints.

Thanks, I appreciate the customer feedback. I’m making the change next week.black rugs
Car Hire Rhodes Airport

If anyone is switching to Directv, other than contacting Tim first ;), you should also inquire about the new Directv TIVO boxes that will come out in the first half of 2010. Directv and TIVO parted ways a few years ago but then got back together recently. The new products are in production/beta testing now. If you are signing up for Directv and getting a DVR now, you should ask Directv to agree to give you a free upgrade to the new TIVO units when they come out. They have done this for others.

Thanks for the head’s up. I’m hoping to upgrade to HD sometime in the next 6 months or so. Maybe I’ll wait for the new TiVo boxes. I haven’t been 100% sold on the DVR we have now… The hard drive gets “dead spots” on it, if you know what I mean. The HD DVR’s now also advertise that you can access your recordings on-line. That sounds cool.

[quote=“manatree, post:13, topic:411”]With NBC, Comcast Zeros in on ESPN
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Sports Business
NYTimes
Published: December 1, 2009[/quote]

I hate Comcast, but this would be fantastic. ESPN really needs some strong competition to put them back in line. They’ve become too big and too influential in the sports world, particularly areas like college sports that revolve around subjective voting.

[quote=“MarkH, post:15, topic:411”]I’m kind of surprised no-one picked up on my cafeteria plan comments. Consumer groups have been clamoring for this for years, and if Comcast tries to play hardball with one of the major networks, you could see Congress get involved, and I think this is where they would go, and neither side wants that. If the fear is a merging of content and distribution, the cafeteria pricing concept is the way to seperate the 2 again.

Right now, the major distributors differentiate themselves based mostly on slight differences in content offerings (all the major channels are available on all systems). If Comcast upsets that apple-cart, a cafeteria plan (with basically all channels available for a price) would make it harder for the distributors harder to differentiate themselves, which would not be good for their buisness models.

Therefore, I think you’ll see some carping at the margins (like the Versus issue) but there won’t be any major programming change of signifincance becuase neither side wants the alternative. [/quote]

This would also be fantastic. Every few years I used to ask the folks at Directv about an option like this, but they always respond that the infrastructure necessary to handle an a la cart setup isn’t in place.