PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: anybody who is up should turn on CNN

8.9 magnitude quake hit Japan and they have live shots of a tsunami sweeping cars away. It’s unbelievable to watch.

Everyone who was tweeting WSU-Washington immediately switched to this. This is unbelievable.

Oh wow. Thanks for heads up Lar.

Just thinking how far areas should be worried about tsunami’s in the pacific?

They mentioned a bunch of places on the “Asian coast” if that makes sense and Wake Island. No Hawaii or anything.

Tsunami warning for Hawaii. Said its going to reach there sometime early morning local? I missed it

3AM Hawaii time about 8AM EST.

Warnings have now gone up for the west coast from Oregon to Mexico.

Dude, I’ve never seen anything like this. It’s been ages since I’ve had the chance to get online, and I woke up today thinking that I’d log in here and post about last night’s game. Instead, I flip on the news while making my coffee, and all I see is complete and total devastation. The footage coming out of Japan is almost surreal, like something you’d see in a disaster movie but would never expect to happen in real life.

Thoughts are with the Japanese people, and also with everyone living on the west coast. With any luck, this thing will be too weak to cause much damage by the time it reaches other islands/nations in the pacific (if it does at all).

Warnings up for the California coast, too, at about 8am local

Watching the video…it almost looks fake it’s so surreal.

A huge expanse of water carrying debris (including burning buildings) over top everything.

1000 (one THOUSAND) times as powerful as the '89 Loma Prieta quake

Tyler Smith and family are OK, headed for higher ground.

Thanks tjb, I was thinking about them this AM.

Tom Hovasse and family ok too.

Hope none of them are near the nuclear reactors melting down. Doesn’t sound like things are going well there at all.

Unbelievable video posted on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1605260179420#&comments

Unbelievable for sure. I’m speechless after watching that video. Having been to Japan a handful of times, I know the great people of that country to be very resilient. But even so…just wow.

Thanks for sharing and opening all our eyes, Lar.

This is what I find the most impressive observation in light of the disaster. If I knew nothing else about the Japanese culture (and honestly I don’t know much), this alone would make me respect them very highly.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/stimulus/2011/mar/14/where-are-japanese-looters/

I once traveled there solo with a lot of baggage and had to take the train from Narita Airport through Tokyo to Nagano. Not once, not twice, not three or even four times, but too many to count, I had people in their broken English both ask me to help and literally go out of their way to help me get on and off trains and through the streets.

Amazing people/culture.

Oh, and I also had to sign Jeff Hornacek’s name for a few autograph seekers on my first visit to Tokyo. Another story for another day.

Anyone see Pondexter’s tweets about Japan? http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=6215398

Her tweets are so STUPID it is comical. Then she tried to cover her back by saying they were interpreted wrong. No, you’re just an idiot.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:16, topic:2090”]Unbelievable for sure. I’m speechless after watching that video. Having been to Japan a handful of times, I know the great people of that country to be very resilient. But even so…just wow.

Thanks for sharing and opening all our eyes, Lar.[/quote]

Give the thanks to Dave Jones (who assuredly would pass it on to someone else). I found the video through a posting that he made.