OT:Anybody Play Chess?

I used to play yahoo chess. Now I play here. Simpler program, doesn’t ever crash. Both good I suppose. Anybody want to play on the net? I’m rated mid-1200’s here, about 1400 on yahoo(if I remember correctly, haven’t been there in awhile.) I’m kidc.

http://www.freechess.org/

Who has a better end game, Battle or Kasparov?

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1118”]I used to play yahoo chess. Now I play here. Simpler program, doesn’t ever crash. Both good I suppose. Anybody want to play on the net? I’m rated mid-1200’s here, about 1400 on yahoo(if I remember correctly, haven’t been there in awhile.) I’m kidc.

http://www.freechess.org/[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, Kid. Maybe, I will give it a try. Played a lot in my younger days. HS, college and maybe 10 years after. Liked to play against myself when no one else was available. But, I haven’t played in many years.
The game of Chess really helped my self confident in my PSU days. I was an inner city kid who was not real strong in math or sciences coming out of HS. Most of my newly made PSU friends were from large highly regarded suburban HSs and most had HUGE SAT scores. All were very strong in math and science. Well, I felt a little inadequate at first UNTIL we started playing chess. I could beat all of them practically blind folded. It put a spring in my step.

If Ed DeChellis was a chess piece, which piece would he be?

I say the noble knight. While other coaches can go straight for the kids they want,
and some can go the length of the board in one move, ED has to move weird ways
to get where he’s going, take a little more time to get there and sometimes surprise
some kids who didn’t know he could move that way.

Sorry kidc, you know every thread on here has to turn into a discussion about ED.

Back to the discussion at hand…

My son has taken a liking to it and I might try to get him going on the computer site.

I used to play all the time about 15-20 years ago. I was really into it. I read books on openings etc. But gosh, I don’t think I’ve played anyone seriously in over a decade. I can however beat my 10 year old niece handily! When I get a chance I’ll sign up and let you know so you can kick my butt.

Question, is this the type of thing where we each have to be sitting at our computers at the same time or do we just take turns making moves whenever we have a moment over a few hours or days?

I finished 2nd place in my 4th grade chess tournament.

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1118”]I used to play all the time about 15-20 years ago. I was really into it. I read books on openings etc. But gosh, I don’t think I’ve played anyone seriously in over a decade. I can however beat my 10 year old niece handily! When I get a chance I’ll sign up and let you know so you can kick my butt.

Question, is this the type of thing where we each have to be sitting at our computers at the same time or do we just take turns making moves whenever we have a moment over a few hours or days?[/quote]

Same time. Yahoo may be easier. I like the link I posted, but you can’t communicate while playing. I sometimes play for an hour or longer, maybe 10-15 games. Usually blitz, like 5 minutes, 10 seconds. Nights and weekends. Re openings, Kasparov and Fischer liked Ruy Lopez, so I try that, but I think you need to be playing white for it to work, at least for me.

manatree, edge to Kasparov.

Ed would be a rook. Not in total charge, potent, honest, direct. Powerful but predictable, and unlike the bishop, not a slasher, needs room and things need to be obvious and clear, and not creative like the knight, who is able to overcome obstacles and uses multiple options, and a stealth like attack, not direct or obvious at all.

tundra, you sound stronger than me. You too hewey. Going to play a bit now.