PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Another late comeback

The football team did it on Saturday, women’s soccer and men’s hoops on Sunday, now this PSU coed is putting a last minute drive on too.

She’s in the Final Four of the College Mansion Madness contest and has been trailing a West Virginia coed all week by 3,000 or so votes. Just within the last few hours she’s managed to overtake the WVU girl (voting ends tonite, I believe at midnight).

While this is just the semifinal round, the votes cast in this bracket are tenfold what they are in the other semifinal so the winner of this round is likely the overall contest winner (which would be worth a nice $5000 to her).

She’s a bartender at the Phyrst and in addition to being pretty damn good looking, she’s really a sweet girl too.

Here’s a couple of photos of her along with a link to vote.

Vote Here

what is the point of this. and what is college mansion

Nice. I voted for her. Figures UL would post something like this though.

Think of College Mansion as a digital magazine aimed at the (mostly male) college market.

The contest is partially a fund raiser for the Susan G Komen “For the Cure” Foundations to fight breast cancer, partially a publicity stunt for College Mansion, and wholly an opportunity to help out a fellow Penn Stater.

It’s somewhat connected to this board and PSU basketball because the CEO is Dave Luber, Ben’s brother.

Thank god for that! Otherwise the OT police would have been all over you.
For what its worth, there is a little puppet theatre thing at my local library that my son plays with when we go there and it is dedicated to Ben, Dave and I think maybe a 3rd brother. I often wonder if I am the only person who has ever noticed that and made a connection with PSU hoops.

what is the point of this. and what is college mansion

Think of College Mansion as a digital magazine aimed at the (mostly male) college market.

The contest is partially a fund raiser for the Susan G Komen “For the Cure” Foundations to fight breast cancer, partially a publicity stunt for College Mansion, and wholly an opportunity to help out a fellow Penn Stater.

It’s somewhat connected to this board and PSU basketball because the CEO is Dave Luber, Ben’s brother.

That came out of nowhere. I just thought this was another dirty old man thread (not that I find fault with that). :smiley:

[quote="psu_DC, post:2, topic:1468"]what is the point of this. and what is college mansion[/quote]

That came out of nowhere. I just thought this was another dirty old man thread (not that I find fault with that). :smiley:

I have to rationalized it somehow. ;D

UncleLar,

Are you on the guest list yet?

[quote="psu_DC, post:2, topic:1468"]what is the point of this. and what is college mansion[/quote]

Maybe you liked her stats. :wink: By the looks of her, can’t say I blame you. But actually, Lar, I think the eyeballs win this one too…hands down. :wink:

Maybe you liked her stats. :wink: By the looks of her, can’t say I blame you. But actually, Lar, I think the eyeballs win this one too…hands down. :wink:

She did play hoops for State High but I don’t have her numbers immediately available. I’ll defer to the eyeballs on this one.

"She did play hoops for State High but I don’t have her numbers immediately available. I’ll defer to the eyeballs on this one."

Trust us, we’ve figured this one out a while ago ;D

Wait a minute, wow, I’m starting to feel old. She’s 2013, meaning that she is only a sophomore in college right now? Dayum…

That’s correct.

There’s an interesting dynamic going on with the contest - which I’m sure that College Mansion just loves.

First of all, the two girls are virtually dead even (ten votes separated them when I started typing this). They are also pulling in tens of thousands more votes than the other semifinalists (over 45,000 between them vs 5000 for the other two). That sort of indicates the winner of this will probably win the contest which is worth $5000.

What makes it really interesting is that you can sort of buy votes. If you click the Power Vote button you are taken to a page where they are selling decks of cards. The more decks you buy the more votes your candidate gets (a portion of the money does go to the charity). $5 gets you one deck of cards and 25 votes. $20 gets you 5 decks and 150 votes. $300 gets you a case of cards (144 decks) and 500 votes (not exactly cost effective from a $$ per vote perspective - $20 is the sweet spot). Voting ends in less than an hour. With $5000 bucks on the line, it has to be mighty tempting for each of these girls to go out and buy bunch of cards. I’m betting the votes take a huge jump at the last minute and that somebody is going to be mighty disappointed with quite likely a bunch of card decks on their hands.

The good news is that the charity will get a good boost because of the closeness of the competition.

Note: Just as I typed this the other girl’s number took a big jump as “someone” most likely bought a few decks of cards.

The other girl’s vote purchasing has kicked in and she’s jumping ahead a few hundred a minute (2000 votes in the last ten minutes).

[quote=“UncleLar, post:14, topic:1468”]There’s an interesting dynamic going on with the contest - which I’m sure that College Mansion just loves.

First of all, the two girls are virtually dead even (ten votes separated them when I started typing this). They are also pulling in tens of thousands more votes than the other semifinalists (over 45,000 between them vs 5000 for the other two). That sort of indicates the winner of this will probably win the contest which is worth $5000.

What makes it really interesting is that you can sort of buy votes. If you click the Power Vote button you are taken to a page where they are selling decks of cards. The more decks you buy the more votes your candidate gets (a portion of the money does go to the charity). $5 gets you one deck of cards and 25 votes. $20 gets you 5 decks and 150 votes. $300 gets you a case of cards (144 decks) and 500 votes (not exactly cost effective from a $$ per vote perspective - $20 is the sweet spot). Voting ends in less than an hour. With $5000 bucks on the line, it has to be mighty tempting for each of these girls to go out and buy bunch of cards. I’m betting the votes take a huge jump at the last minute and that somebody is going to be mighty disappointed with quite likely a bunch of card decks on their hands.

The good news is that the charity will get a good boost because of the closeness of the competition.

Note: Just as I typed this the other girl’s number took a big jump as “someone” most likely bought a few decks of cards.[/quote]
Dakota is not buying votes, and this other girl seems to be spending hundreds on cards. Ugh, feels like cheating, but I guess it’s not

This is amazing to follow rapidly right now - A LOT of cards are being bought, very quickly.

Dakota’s votes are jumping up too so I wouldn’t go so far as to say that she isn’t buying cards but the other girl clearly is (she’s jumped 4000 votes in the last 15 minutes)

EDIT: Now 6000 votes in 20 minutes.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:18, topic:1468”]Dakota’s votes are jumping up too so I wouldn’t go so far as to say that she isn’t buying cards but the other girl clearly is (she’s jumped 4000 votes in the last 15 minutes)

EDIT: Now 6000 votes in 20 minutes.[/quote]

You don’t know that either girl is buying cards. More likely a bunch of aunts, “uncles” and parents are doing the buying.

Holy smokes. She might have actually won this thing on a Hail Mary. The numbers haven’t changed in about five minutes and she’s ahead. So either she won or their vote tallying mechanism broke.

The other girl passed Dakota with about a half hour to go and built up about a 1500 vote lead with maybe 15 minutes to go. The Dakota started her charge, catching her right at midnight according to my PC clock - the final tally that I saw was at about two minutes past.