OT: A WHITEOUT for Homecoming?

weather.com: Winter Weather Advisory for Southern Centre, PA, … WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EDT SATURDAY…
:-\

Are the upper decks of the Beav considered the ridge tops? :slight_smile:

All I know is, snow in state college means basketball season :smiley:

If you are traveling to Happy Valley, leave ASAP. The snow is already falling steady as 1:30 PM Thursday. Its just really wet right now but after the sun goes down could be nasty.

Just in time for the Hoops Fest @ the BJC! :slight_smile:

It’s going to be the earliest snow accumulation in State College weather history. There are still a lot of leaves on the trees which means there will be some nasty power outages when falling tree limbs snap the power lines.

facebook.com: Penn State All-Sports Museum’s Photos - SNOW! In OCTOBER!!

It’s actually warmer (and sunny) in Albany.

I head down tomorrow morning because I have too much invested in tickets and hotel rooms. Am I nuts?

This will be my first homecoming in 25 years. Will they still have the parade?

Will the precipitation be over by game time? Or will I be sitting in freezing rain?

So, besides the bad driving conditions, I also have to worry if my hotel will have power?

We had an inch of snow earlier this week in central Iowa. The leaves have not even reached their autumn colors yet. The good news is that the early snows melt quickly.

And to think I was worrying that I was going to “freeze” this weekend at my kids’ football/baseball games with sunny conditions and temps hovering in the 50’s by day, low 40’s at night. Cold for Atlanta, for sure, but man, I will enjoy watching this one from the comforts of home. I just recall the Iowa homecoming about a dozen or so years ago when it was similar conditions. My toes are still numb from that experience.

Travel safely everyone and enjoy the HoopsFest. In fact, you might see a packed house due to the fact that everyone will be looking for a warm place to hide for an hour or so.

Maybe if you’re staying at Toftrees. The power went out on the Wisconsin hoops team about 2 years ago. That didn’t seem to stop them though.

[quote=“think1, post:7, topic:109”]It’s actually warmer (and sunny) in Albany.

I head down tomorrow morning because I have too much invested in tickets and hotel rooms. Am I nuts?

This will be my first homecoming in 25 years. Will they still have the parade?

Will the precipitation be over by game time? Or will I be sitting in freezing rain?

So, besides the bad driving conditions, I also have to worry if my hotel will have power?[/quote]

80% chance of rain/snow on Sat. according to the link below. :frowning:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/16802?locid=16802&from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

Now on a personal happier note, I am finally off of probation here and “I am now a fan!” Wahoo! :smiley:

The interesting thing about this weather is that it’s not really cold outside (for snow). I’m in a zop-up hoody that’s open and a t-shirt and I am fairly comfortable.

I just checked weather.com and it says it is 33 right now, with a low of 32 tonight. I’m not sure if this stuff will really freeze.

I hope!

This is the kind of snow that can terrorize trees and power lines, but not make any dents on the roads.

Go figure, the link below shows the precip to end near the end of the game, @ 7 PM.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/16802?begHour=7&begDay=290

My neighbor’s tree just split down the middle. Half on his house , half on my fence. Luckily, it was a tall and skinny tree.

How are the roads? My friend, who was supposed to fly to State College from Boston via Philly just let me know her connection was cancelled. She hitched a ride with some others from the cancelled flight. Interesting weekend already.

I was parked under a tree this afternoon and decided I’d better move the car just in case.

collegian.psu.edu: Rain won’t deter parade

As long as my car makes it to the stadium parking lot, I’ll be there for the game. Snow games can become part of folklore. I’d hate to miss out.

I assume the basketball festivities will still be a go?