PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: A Cool 1930 Map of Penn State

from the Penn Stater

A Cool 1930 Map of Penn State

I always get a kick out of old things that were discussing things that at the time were old.

Ye Olde Frog Pond looks nice. Looks like it was replaced by Ye Less Olde Chambers Building though… wonder what happened to the frogs?

They were turned into the precursor of the Chicken Cosmo. To quote Boston’s favorite mailman, “It’s a little known fact that the Chinese name for frog is field chicken.”

I wish they could have somehow saved the Armory instead of replacing it with Willard.

Sadly, not many of the buildings designed by Olds have survived. Trivia tidbit: the contractor who built the Armory chose to make the bricks on site to save on transportation.

[quote="think1, post:5, topic:1581"]I wish they could have somehow saved the Armory instead of replacing it with Willard.[/quote]

Sadly, not many of the buildings designed by Olds have survived. Trivia tidbit: the contractor who built the Armory chose to make the bricks on site to save on transportation.

As I understand things, that was a fairly common practice before the advent of the gas-powered delivery truck. Bricks are kind of heavy to move very far when you had to depend on Horses carrying the load.

Of course, you also have to consider available resources at teh site as well as teh luck and skill of the builder.

Sounds as if things did not exactly go as planned for the Cottage Planning Mill Co.