OT - 76ers [Was: Sixers draft]

[quote="greenmanRD, post:738, topic:3848"]I still can't believe you didn't bring up Ben Simmons, who might be the best prospect the Sixers have (certainly a better one than Okafor).[/quote]

I’m not trying to get people riled up, and I’m not trying to just degrade the Sixers. I’m giving my honest opinion on the situation.

I didn’t mention Simmons for 3 reasons:

1.) Simmons is a HUGE question mark. He hasn’t even played in a preseason game, only summer league games. I know he’s a good looking prospect, and did well in college, but so did Okafor. I’m not predicting if he will be great or a bust, I’m just saying that we don’t know yet.

This is a fine take, but I think it’s important to use this kind of reasoning with Okafor, who has been legitimately terrible in his brief time in the NBA.

and this isn’t to say, “Okafor is done and will never be good,” but he’s been really bad so far and he doesn’t fit Embiid or Simmons all that well. I’m perfectly content with the idea of bringing in a guard for Okafor if Embiid can keep developing. he’s already better than Okafor and has played significantly less games.

I won’t go so far as to say Okafor has been terrible so far. He led the team in scoring last year while he was healthy. That’s not terrible. But I agree Embiid is already better than Okafor and is far more likely to be an All Star of the three centers. Therefore, I’m completely okay with making the best deals possible for Noel and Okafor – even if that only returns us first round draft picks 3 or 4 years down the road.

I don’t see Simmons as a 3. Not as the position he plays most often. I could certainly be wrong though.

Someone had to lead the team last year in scoring, and it just happened to be the only guy on the Sixers who could create his own look. He’s a defensive sieve, I’ve seen people move through turnstiles faster than Okafor reads pick and rolls. He can’t defend even a little bit, which is a shame because his frame should be conducive to being a great defender, but he has shown such a lack of willingness to improve on that end of the floor throughout his basketball career. He’s also basically a useless offensive player from 5 feet out. He isn’t a particularly talented passer and has tunnel vision to the rim.

He has the talent to be a good NBA center but he’s got such a long way to go. It’s not a surprise his value was lower than Noel’s this summer when Sixers were trying to make a trade.

[quote=“greenmanRD, post:742, topic:3848”]Someone had to lead the team last year in scoring, and it just happened to be the only guy on the Sixers who could create his own look. He’s a defensive sieve, I’ve seen people move through turnstiles faster than Okafor reads pick and rolls. He can’t defend even a little bit, which is a shame because his frame should be conducive to being a great defender, but he has shown such a lack of willingness to improve on that end of the floor throughout his basketball career. He’s also basically a useless offensive player from 5 feet out. He isn’t a particularly talented passer and has tunnel vision to the rim.

He has the talent to be a good NBA center but he’s got such a long way to go. It’s not a surprise his value was lower than Noel’s this summer when Sixers were trying to make a trade.[/quote]

I guess I have a different definition of “terrible”. I agree with your analysis of his game. I don’t agree that makes him “terrible”.

The Sixers have only won 5 games in November during Obama’s entire 2nd term !!!

If you are a Sixers fan, you will NOT vote Democrat this election !!! ;D :wink:

On a serious note, with a bit of trivia…

Penn State football, even despite the sanctions, has more November wins in the past 4 years (2013-2016) than the Sixers.

Sixers: 5-45
PSU Football: 6-8

If the season ended today, the Lakers pick we get wouldn’t even be in the lottery. That trade could end in disaster if they don’t fall apart soon.

I thought that pick was unprotected this year. I just read that it’s still top 3 protected.

Nah. The only way the trade would have been a disaster is if MCW turned into a star or high value rotation player and the Lakers pick was at the bottom of the lottery/low end playoffs. Since MCW is neither of those things and is just over a replacement level player (he’s basically followed the same trajectory as Dion Waiters and Nick Young), then the Lakers pick is still good value for him. Obviously, the desire was for it to be in the 4-6 range, and that may not happen, but that doesn’t make the trade a disaster.

The Sixers won their second game last night – and it’s not even Thanksgiving Day (they started the season 1-30). They didn’t get win number two last year until the day after Christmas. I know, not much to get excited about. But hey, baby steps right. They’ve also been close in a few other games – Game one against OKC was tied at 97 but OKC scored the last 6 points; led Orlando by 18 and lost by 2 points; led Cleveland 101-99 only to lose 102-101; lost to Indiana in OT (beat Indiana in OT the next game). That’s 4 losses out of 9 that could have gone either way. Feels to me like this team is closer to getting out of the cellar than at any time in the last three years.

This article shows some good signs…

2. Joel Embiid and Dario Saric are the NBA’s only rookies with multiple double-doubles. Each has two.
  1. The Sixers are one of eight NBA teams to hit 10 or more three-pointers in six games this season. They joined the club by making 10 of 28 on Wednesday.

And Noel should return soon giving more depth on nights Embiid or Okafor sit. Plus, Simmons should be back in another month and a half or so (hopefully).

The Sixers won their third game of the season already – 41 days and 21 games sooner than last season. Noel is back in Philly getting ready to return to action. And Bayless has been upgraded to questionable for tonight’s game. Last year’s 10th win came in game number 78. What is your guess for the number of games it takes this season to match that total? I’m going to say they do it in half the time and guess game #39.

Sixers won again – #4 already. I might have to rethink my guess already.

Hopefully all this nonsense about losing culture finally disappears.

I just read a game recap. I knew they had won 4 of 7. But I didn’t realize they had won 4 in a row at home. That will certainly help from a fan’s perspective.

Sixers are going to a second OT against Memphis (4th in the west). Embiid is done – doctors won’t let him play more. He got mad and kicked a chair. I like the fire this year. With Noel and Simmons I think this team could be pretty competitive.

The Sixers are at 7 wins in 27 games. That’s just above .250 winning percentage. That is right in line with my guess of getting to 10 wins in 39 games.

The Sixers got their 9th win in game 33 tonight. Embiid is a really good player. They need to figure out what they are doing with Noel and Okafor soon. Noel has played well in limited minutes when I’ve watched. Okafor has been mostly terrible. I’m not sure what the correct move is at this point.

The correct move is to get rid of Okafor and Noel.

You think getting rid of both is correct? I thought keeping Noel might be a good option too, but I realize he won’t be happy as a backup. And I’m not sure he fits with Embiid to play them together. I think you are probably right, but I’d hate to get next to nothing for them given what it cost to get them in the first place.

If Noel got his head right and embraced the role he would be a taller version of Dennis Rodman. Not as instinctive a rebounder, but a game he could model his after. Hopefully not the wardrobe or the politicial urges.

It doesn’t make sense for the Sixers from a team building perspective to dump a max or near max contract for Embiid and whatever Nerlens will also get. That is basically wasting near 35% of the salary cap for 2 guys who can’t play together.

when is Simmons supposed to be back?

Still no word yet.