OT - 76ers [Was: Sixers draft]

[quote=“Phanatic, post:20, topic:3848”]Todd MacCullouh, though not a great player was a servicable center. He was getting better when a disease ended his career. It was a disease that degenterated the nerves in his feet causing him to lose his balence and I do not know how that disease ends. He could no longer play ball though.

I was at the home opener for the Jeff Ruland premier. While everyone was warming up he was doing pushups. Really weird, even for the 80’s. Only thing that made that trade the second worst in franchise history is the Andrew Bynum fiasco. Wilt was a Warrior so his was not the worst trade by the Sixers.

I also get that they were not going to resign them. But one of the issues I have with the Sixers, Phillies and sometimes the Flyers is that in their quest to win now they overpay for players and in their over reactions to underperformances they dump players for nothing. You can be too emotional to make good decisions and I think Philly is too emotional. Fans, management, the whole group. You would hope the GM’s would not be that way. Bynum had a bad back when he was 17 and 18. As soon as they made that trade all I thought was, I hope his body and mind are right.

At least they kept Thad Young. Only player worth buiding with. MCW may be good but I would consider trading him while his value is high. His body seems too fraile. Unless that is the Sixers using that to tank even more. I agree that the Noel pick was to basically assisit in tanking, and get 2 number 1 picks in back to back years as Noel was possibly the number 1 pick if not injured.

Think back to the Rockets drafting David Robinson and waitin a year for his services, a second tank year netted Duncan. Don’t think Noel is either of them, but it is a similar situation. Then again, Davis is a lot like Noel and he is developeing nicely.

Did anyone mention Shawn Bradley as a nice little 7-6 bust.[/quote]

Spurs not Rockets of course. And to be clear their second tank year was late in Robinson’s career when he sat out injured. It was not while he served his two years with the Navy.

You are right, I had Akeem and Sampson on the brain when I started the post. They were also back to backs, but they were just that bad 2 years in a row to get the twin towers.

It looks like Nerlens Noel might be debuting and playing the last 7 games for the Sixers.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:23, topic:3848”]It looks like Nerlens Noel might be debuting and playing the last 7 games for the Sixers.[/quote]He will be so rusty it won’t matter(as far as wins). They might end this season on a 36 game losing streak. At this point I hope they do and can catch the Bucks.

[quote=“Phanatic, post:12, topic:3848”]Sixers just dumped Turner, Hawes and Allen for a bag of peanuts. I thought they got someone good in rreturn in Danny Granger till I found out he is injured all year. Ws a hell of a player. Guess I just can’t follow this team this year. Too awful. At least they kept Thad Young. They are in serious tanking mode now.

Indy had Suck for Luck, What can the Sixers slogan be.

Pro leagues need to fix the drafts to end this practice.[/quote]

Sixers were actually discussed on NPR over the weekend. It was all about their “tanking” in order to get a good lottery pick. What I found interesting is a proposal from the Celtics from office, that would completely eliminate the lottery completely and replace it with a draft ordrer that rotates mathematically over a 30 year period (since there are 30 teams).

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel/

Sixers now only 2 games away from catching the Bucks. Just hoping we get the #1 or #2 spot. Fine with Wiggins or Parker

Want Wiggins way more than Parker personally.

Sixers get #3 and #10. Very pleased with that outcome. I want Wiggins a lot but a top 3 pick in this draft + 10 is a great haul. We’ll probably trade Thad as well so might get something there.

Might want to trade up so we can get Tim Frazier

I’m disappointed not getting #1, but at least we didn’t drop to 5. Seems like Parker is the pick in every mock draft I’ve seen. That’s fine. If we get another solid player at 10, this year will be McDubs plus 3 new lottery picks. Hope we hold all the cap space to see who develops and who doesn’t before chasing expensive free agents. Maybe even help out other teams by taking on salaries for a year in exchange for more draft picks.

[quote="rwd5035, post:28, topic:3848"]Sixers get #3 and #10. Very pleased with that outcome. I want Wiggins a lot but a top 3 pick in this draft + 10 is a great haul. We'll probably trade Thad as well so might get something there.[/quote]

I’m disappointed not getting #1, but at least we didn’t drop to 5. Seems like Parker is the pick in every mock draft I’ve seen. That’s fine. If we get another solid player at 10, this year will be McDubs plus 3 new lottery picks. Hope we hold all the cap space to see who develops and who doesn’t before chasing expensive free agents. Maybe even help out other teams by taking on salaries for a year in exchange for more draft picks.

I don’t want McDermott, like at all.

[quote="rwd5035, post:28, topic:3848"]Sixers get #3 and #10. Very pleased with that outcome. I want Wiggins a lot but a top 3 pick in this draft + 10 is a great haul. We'll probably trade Thad as well so might get something there.[/quote]

Stauskas is the popular belief right now at #10. If Gordon is there though, can’t pass.

Stauskas is the popular belief right now at #10. If Gordon is there though, can’t pass.

Doubt Gordon is there. Stauskas would be a nice pick. Need a shooter in a bad way. Depending on what happens with the third pick, trading the 10 and Young to move up might be an option too. Say we get Parker at 3. Being able to get Gordon would make a pretty exciting looking young front line. Would still need a shooter, but that could be addressed in the 2nd round or free agency.

I think if they want Gordon, they’ll trade up to get him. They have the picks to do it.

They might be able to move Thad and snag another 1st rounder too.

GM and Coach are talking 3-5 year rebuild. Maybe 30 years ago you built that way, not today. If it is not done in 2 more years they will be unemployed. With free agency you cannot build slow through the draft and maintain the core.

So I am guessing the hardest worker on the team will be dealt. Glad for Thad, but just another sign of a team going the wrong way. They need to do this rebuild with a couple of good signings, these 2 picks and deal some 2nd rounders for future 1st rounders (lottery protected I am sure) in the distant future. Say a 2nd rounder for 1 first in 2018. Plant the seeds. Need to draft a few euros and retain their rights ala SA Spurs.

I would like Harris out of MSU for a 2G. Undersized a little but with MCW as a point, the size is ok.

Every year I care less about the NBA. Too many head cases.

I took that to mean 3-5 years total, and year one is gone. I think anyone can see we are still at least 2 years from turning this around. If in two seasons we made the playoffs and still felt we had a lot of upside, I’d think we are doing a good job.

So you think Sam Hinkie will be unemployed after next season?

“I think the season has been a huge success.” Josh Harris

“We want to get back to the playoffs and compete for the championship. That’s what we’re trying to do. To get to that point to be an elite team, there is no shortcuts. We came in knowing it would be a long season and we would be putting building blocks in place.” Josh Harris

“Sam Hinkie ran a very in-depth and thoughtful process." Josh Harris

“We evaluated every single option. We had multiple conversations and we were satisfied with the results of what happened at the trade deadline. It was all part of the bigger plan. I am very happy with the job our front office did.” Josh Harris

That doesn’t sound like a front office that’s about to get fired after next season.

Yes he probably will but let’s see what we get. This Sixers front office is about building for the future. I’d be happy to keep Thad, I think he’s a very good player and one that’s very enjoyable to watch. However, what’s best for him is not to be a Sixer and I hope wherever he goes, he can compete for an NBA title because he deserves that opportunity and who knows, maybe he could come back here at some point.

Of the teams you wouldn’t want to follow through recent draft history, San Antonio would not be one of them. Until Kawhi Leonard and Tiago Splitter, they hadn’t signed an extension with any rookie 1st rounder that they drafted since Tony Parker (who was drafted 13 years ago).

I also am skeptical that teams are going to trade 1st rounders in the future without knowing what those drafts will hold or their future unless they are mortgaging their future on a current star or possible star ala Knicks or Nets.

I’ve gone back and forth on Harris. I’d take him but think we should do whatever it takes to get Aaron Gordon and that includes trading back up into the lottery using our #10 pick imo.

Being in the East, they could make the playoffs not this upcoming season, but 15-16 is certainly possible if they hit on these two lottery picks. They could theoretically be rolling up with a lineup like MCW, who knows?, Wiggins, Saric, Noel. Their development needs to be considered and might take more time but I’m not ruling out playoffs in 15-16.

Next year, the Sixers will essentially add 3 Lottery Picks to their roster (Noel, 3rd pick, 10th pick)

Was there every a time when a team added 3 lottery picks in the same season like this?

MJG, I think you misinterpreted what I meant by some of my post.

The 3-5 years was in a couple of Philly articles. I hope they meant total, not going forward. My point is not that anyone will be fired after this year. My point is you do not get 4-5 years to rebuild in a free agency driven league. You cannot sell season tickets for the NBA at what they charge with the promise of a better day a half decade away. In the old days of build through the draft and with trades it might take that long. That was when the Len Bias death crippled the Celtics for years.

After a year when I could not tolerate watching the product, even though a lofelong Sixers fan, the thought of 4-5 more years of this is not acceptable. If I were buying 41 games a year I would riot at the thought.

If they are not in these watered down playoffs in 2 seasons, then it is time to consider if the path is the correct one.

The other point mentioned in the article is that they will try to remain in the lottery till 2 trades parameters change the 1st round picks to 2nd rounders. Arnette Moultrie was one of the bad trades. That may sound good, but not to someone paying for courtside seats. The tanking this year was about all people will accept.

If Thad had any belief he would be back in the playoffs in 2 years he might stick around. He is still young. No pun intended.