OT - 76ers [Was: Sixers draft]

Sixers and NBA fans…What did u think of the Sixers moves tonight?

When I was watching and heard we traded Jrue Holiday I wasn’t very happy but now that I’ve gotten a chance to think about it all I’m actually pretty excited about these moves. Excited to see what the new front office can put together!

I’m a big Jrue fan but I think the Sixers got it right. Got the much needed cap space as well as 2 promising picks in Noel and MCW. Also picked up that 1st round pick from NO for next year (and that draft is supposed to be loaded)

I think it depends on how it plays out. Could be boom or bust. But can’t blame the new GM for swinging for the fences. Sixers weren’t going anywhere as things stood. Now they bring in the guy who was supposed to be the #1 overall pick. MCW could be their starting PG. Getting rid of Jrue’s salary and Bynum coming off the books creates the cap space needed. And they could have two lottery picks next year (the NO pick can’t be a top 5 pick though). If we get lucky enough, we get Wiggins (or whoever climbs past him to #1) and another lottery player. Plus have a ton of cap space to fill in the extra pieces. Just hope they don’t get impatient and sign another Elton Brand to a max deal before the 2014 draft.

Jerardi likes Noel. Although I think he had the perfect name to remain with the Pelicans.

Game-changing Noel a good start
Dick Jerardi, Daily News Sports Columnist Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013, 12:18 AM

Patriot League with two picks.

Heard a lot of negativity about this (that’s why they call it Negadelphia).

They say that now the Sixers have TWO big men with knee problems.

…on a side note, I was listening when the ESPN people were discussing Trey Burke. One of the commentators said that Trey Burke had originally committed to Cincinnatti.

REALLY !?!!? >:(

[quote=“Skeeza, post:6, topic:3848”]Heard a lot of negativity about this (that’s why they call it Negadelphia).

They say that now the Sixers have TWO big men with knee problems.

…on a side note, I was listening when the ESPN people were discussing Trey Burke. One of the commentators said that Trey Burke had originally committed to Cincinnatti.

REALLY !?!!? >:([/quote]

I heard the Trey Burke comments too. I think Cincy was in play after he decommitted from PSU. But didn’t think he had ever committed to them.

Rumors of Turner being on the move shortly. Prob with him and MCW is you have 2 guards that can’t shoot

Would like to see Turner on his way out and us make a move in free agency for a SG/SF that can actually put the ball in the hoop. Will be interesting to see, definite low expectations this season for the team but the chance to grab two lottery picks next season when it’s supposed to be one of the deepest drafts is a huge opportunity and I look forward to seeing what this team can be in 3-4 years.

Guess us Sixers fans can start talking 2014 draft already. Holy smokes are they bad !

I actually opened this thread thinking that this was a fresh thread on the Sixers. ;D

I like the moves the team is making and think the front office is going to be one of the best in the NBA and one of the most applauded. Now, that’s obviously tough to understand or accept given their current situation but they are working very hard for the future and I think understand what the NBA is about.

Hell, our first draft pick of this era is MCW who is already looking like he could be a great PG one day and Nerlens Noel is going to be a very good NBA player as well imo. If we can hit a home run with at least one of our two picks this year (provided NO doesn’t get into the top 5), we can potentially go on the OKC model of fast tracking into the playoffs, especially in the East (which only have 4 teams above .500 this year).

Sixers just dumped Turner, Hawes and Allen for a bag of peanuts. I thought they got someone good in rreturn in Danny Granger till I found out he is injured all year. Ws a hell of a player. Guess I just can’t follow this team this year. Too awful. At least they kept Thad Young. They are in serious tanking mode now.

Indy had Suck for Luck, What can the Sixers slogan be.

Pro leagues need to fix the drafts to end this practice.

[quote=“Phanatic, post:12, topic:3848”]Sixers just dumped Turner, Hawes and Allen for a bag of peanuts. I thought they got someone good in rreturn in Danny Granger till I found out he is injured all year. Ws a hell of a player. Guess I just can’t follow this team this year. Too awful. At least they kept Thad Young. They are in serious tanking mode now.

Pro leagues need to fix the drafts to end this practice.[/quote]

They weren’t going to sign Turner or Hawes after this season, so getting a bunch of second round picks and expiring contracts is better than just sucking and getting nothing. They will have a high pick and maybe NO’s lottery pick as well. Noel will play and McDubs looks like a superstar in the making. Draft a guy like Jabari Parker and a long range bomber, and sign a rebounding four and you’ve got a lot of potential going forward. They’ve made the right moves. The moves just have to work out now.

[quote="Phanatic, post:12, topic:3848"]Sixers just dumped Turner, Hawes and Allen for a bag of peanuts. I thought they got someone good in rreturn in Danny Granger till I found out he is injured all year. Ws a hell of a player. Guess I just can't follow this team this year. Too awful. At least they kept Thad Young. They are in serious tanking mode now.

They weren’t going to sign Turner or Hawes after this season, so getting a bunch of second round picks and expiring contracts is better than just sucking and getting nothing. They will have a high pick and maybe NO’s lottery pick as well. Noel will play and McDubs looks like a superstar in the making. Draft a guy like Jabari Parker and a long range bomber, and sign a rebounding four and you’ve got a lot of potential going forward. They’ve made the right moves. The moves just have to work out now.

Sixers have a history of getting injured big men that never pan out. Never saw another franchise do it as much as these guys. A buddy of mine at work starting naming them, titling it “broken bigs and busts”. Some I remember off the top of my head:

Andrew Bynum
Todd McCollough
Shawn Bradley
Nerlens Noel
Kwame Brown (he played for them earlier this season)
Shavlik Randolph

…and now they trade for a big guy who is out all season.

[quote="Phanatic, post:12, topic:3848"]Sixers just dumped Turner, Hawes and Allen for a bag of peanuts. I thought they got someone good in rreturn in Danny Granger till I found out he is injured all year. Ws a hell of a player. Guess I just can't follow this team this year. Too awful. At least they kept Thad Young. They are in serious tanking mode now.

Sixers have a history of getting injured big men that never pan out. Never saw another franchise do it as much as these guys. A buddy of mine at work starting naming them, titling it “broken bigs and busts”. Some I remember off the top of my head:

Andrew Bynum
Todd McCollough
Shawn Bradley
Nerlens Noel
Shavlik Randolph

You forgot Jeff Ruland.

I don’t think Noel will be like the names on this list. I believe part of him being held out all season is to help us tank. He might play a few games though. He was cleared a few weeks ago.

Andrew Bynum
Todd McCollough
Shawn Bradley
Nerlens Noel
Shavlik Randolph

This is just a really odd group of players to compare with regards to whether an NBA team has a history with injured bigs or not. The only one I’d give you is Bynum, the rest just….how can that even be a part of the discussion?

We had Shawn Bradley for just over 2 seasons before we traded him (one season he played all 82 games), Kwame Brown has been a journeyman and known bust in the league for a decade now, Shavlik Randolph was an undrafted free agent, Todd MacCulloch played five years in the NBA and was a 2nd round pick. None of these other players apart from Shawn Bradley had much expectations from them when they were acquired by the Sixers.

Nerlens Noel isn’t broken though, so why is that even a part of this discussion?

Just a really bizarre list of players that really only share one thing in common, being really tall.

Portland have Sam Bowie and Greg Oden, whatever we’ve had, they’ve lost two top 2 picks that way.

Andrew Bynum
Todd McCollough
Shawn Bradley
Nerlens Noel
Shavlik Randolph

This is just a really odd group of players to compare with regards to whether an NBA team has a history with injured bigs or not. The only one I’d give you is Bynum, the rest just….how can that even be a part of the discussion?

We had Shawn Bradley for just over 2 seasons before we traded him (one season he played all 82 games), Kwame Brown has been a journeyman and known bust in the league for a decade now, Shavlik Randolph was an undrafted free agent, Todd MacCulloch played five years in the NBA and was a 2nd round pick. None of these other players apart from Shawn Bradley had much expectations from them when they were acquired by the Sixers.

Nerlens Noel isn’t broken though, so why is that even a part of this discussion?

Just a really bizarre list of players that really only share one thing in common, being really tall.

Portland have Sam Bowie and Greg Oden, whatever we’ve had, they’ve lost two top 2 picks that way.

That is my point. Kwame Brown was a known bust for over a decade. So, why on God’s Green Earth did the Sixers sign that guy to a 2 yr/$6M contract ?!?!?!? Did you know that the REALLY wanted to sign him to a 5 YR/$30M contract, but the 2011 lockout got in the way. :-[

Todd MacCullough never played more than 65 games in a regular season his entire career. He barely played at all in Philly, which is OK, because they barely paid him. It wasn’t until he went to NJ and they paid him a TON of money to be unproductive that Philly decide they wanted him back, so he could barely play for 10 TIMES the salary !!!

From the end of the Iverson era till last year, the Sixers were a franchise in noman’s land. They forever were a borderline playoff team, so in a good year they were a 7 or 8 seed that had no chance of making a deep run and in a bad year they drafted at the bottom of the lottery. They did get lucky getting the 2 pick a few years ago, but there wasn’t a franchise changing player available at the 2 pick that year.

I have been waiting for them to start over for so long and finally Hinke has blown it up. Obviously they are going to have to draft well for this to work and whoever they draft this year has to be a franchise player in a few years.

I didn’t expect them to get anything for Turner. Unfortunately Turner doesn’t have a natural position so it would have made no sense to tie up any serious money in him moving forward. Unfortunately he can’t shoot. That was always my concern with him coming out of Ohio State. He dominated the ball and did most of his damage attacking the basket at Ohio State. He was also a great offensive rebounder and got lots of garbage baskets because of it. He rarely showed an ability to consistently hit outside shots and that has been a problem for him at the NBA level.

Andrew Bynum
Todd McCollough
Shawn Bradley
Nerlens Noel
Shavlik Randolph

That is my point. Kwame Brown was a known bust for over a decade. So, why on God’s Green Earth did the Sixers sign that guy to a 2 yr/$6M contract ?!?!?!? Did you know that the REALLY wanted to sign him to a 5 YR/$30M contract, but the 2011 lockout got in the way. :-[

Todd MacCullough never played more than 65 games in a regular season his entire career. He barely played at all in Philly, which is OK, because they barely paid him. It wasn’t until he went to NJ and they paid him a TON of money to be unproductive that Philly decide they wanted him back, so he could barely play for 10 TIMES the salary !!!

It was only Doug Collins that wanted to sign Kwame to the 5 year, 30m contract but ultimately, Kwame wasn’t signed to that deal. Kwame was only a backup big man and was a healthy scratch for most of last season and only played 22 games and Kwame didn’t play one minute this season before getting bought out.

Todd MacCullouh, though not a great player was a servicable center. He was getting better when a disease ended his career. It was a disease that degenterated the nerves in his feet causing him to lose his balence and I do not know how that disease ends. He could no longer play ball though.

I was at the home opener for the Jeff Ruland premier. While everyone was warming up he was doing pushups. Really weird, even for the 80’s. Only thing that made that trade the second worst in franchise history is the Andrew Bynum fiasco. Wilt was a Warrior so his was not the worst trade by the Sixers.

I also get that they were not going to resign them. But one of the issues I have with the Sixers, Phillies and sometimes the Flyers is that in their quest to win now they overpay for players and in their over reactions to underperformances they dump players for nothing. You can be too emotional to make good decisions and I think Philly is too emotional. Fans, management, the whole group. You would hope the GM’s would not be that way. Bynum had a bad back when he was 17 and 18. As soon as they made that trade all I thought was, I hope his body and mind are right.

At least they kept Thad Young. Only player worth buiding with. MCW may be good but I would consider trading him while his value is high. His body seems too fraile. Unless that is the Sixers using that to tank even more. I agree that the Noel pick was to basically assisit in tanking, and get 2 number 1 picks in back to back years as Noel was possibly the number 1 pick if not injured.

Think back to the Rockets drafting David Robinson and waitin a year for his services, a second tank year netted Duncan. Don’t think Noel is either of them, but it is a similar situation. Then again, Davis is a lot like Noel and he is developeing nicely.

Did anyone mention Shawn Bradley as a nice little 7-6 bust.