PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: 10th Grader Turning Pro?

Offer is on the table.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Tiny-sophomore-point-guard-lands-750-000-Italia?urn=highschool-wp1862

I have no problem with a 17 year turning pro. Happens all the time in soccer around the world. Remember he is only 5-6.
But, it might be a good idea if he can get his money “up front.” Once he turns pro it will end the US college basketball possibility!
Isn’t 17 a little old for a HS Soph??

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2376”]
Isn’t 17 a little old for a HS Soph??[/quote]

A bit…I’m guessing that he wouldn’t be eligible to play HS ball his senior year.

If he turns 19 by June 30 before his senior year, he’s no longer eligible.

Can’t see this turning out well. The kid better grow a few more inches.

The article said that he turns 18 during the next school year (his jr year). That would mean that he’d turn 19 during his senior year (aka after June 30), so eligibility would not be a factor. Although, that doesn’t seem right… are you sure that it’s not “if he turns 18 by June 30 before his senior year…”?

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2376"]If he turns 19 by June 30 before his senior year, he's no longer eligible.[/quote] The article said that he turns 18 during the next school year (his jr year). That would mean that he'd turn 19 during his senior year (aka after June 30), so eligibility would not be a factor. Although, that doesn't seem right... are you sure that it's not "if he turns 18 by June 30 before his senior year..."?
Grades 9-12
* If you reach 19 years of age prior to July 1, you will be ineligible the next school year.
* Over-aged eighth graders should be moved up to the senior high team to have eight semesters of eligibility</blockquote>

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/Eligibility/EligibilityStandards.aspx#Age_Limits

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2376”]I have no problem with a 17 year turning pro. Happens all the time in soccer around the world. Remember he is only 5-6.
But, it might be a good idea if he can get his money “up front.” Once he turns pro it will end the US college basketball possibility!
Isn’t 17 a little old for a HS Soph??[/quote]

$750K. Shoe deal and endorsements? Why not grab that? He really doesn’t seem like college material, and even if he is, that money will PAY FOR than education.

I notice they didn’t say how long that contract was for.

I have no problem with a 17 year turning pro. Happens all the time in soccer around the world. Remember he is only 5-6. But, it might be a good idea if he can get his money "up front." Once he turns pro it will end the US college basketball possibility! Isn't 17 a little old for a HS Soph??

$750K. Shoe deal and endorsements? Why not grab that? He really doesn’t seem like college material, and even if he is, that money will PAY FOR than education.

I notice they didn’t say how long that contract was for.

Or how much of it was guaranteed…