PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Osu

Being that OSU is the defacto #1. Have we ever face the #1 team before and have we ever beaten them?

I remember playing the Running Sooners in the 80’s but can’t remember if there were #1.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:1, topic:1780”]Being that OSU is the defacto #1. Have we ever face the #1 team before and have we ever beaten them?

I remember playing the Running Sooners in the 80’s but can’t remember if there were #1.[/quote]

Indiana was #1 in '93 when we beat them – I mean when we got robbed by some poor officiating.

Played (lost) Marquette when they were #1 ( I think ) at Rec Hall.

When OSU #1 5 years ago when Walker missed the 3 at the buzzer and immediately recieved a text from Battle razzing him?

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1780"]Played (lost) Marquette when they were #1 ( I think ) at Rec Hall.[/quote]

When OSU #1 5 years ago when Walker missed the 3 at the buzzer and immediately recieved a text from Battle razzing him?

Correct.

Reality check the next two games. The next two could get ugly, and winning against 3 ranked opponents within a week is pretty much unheard of in the regular season. As a matter of fact, only PSU and UConn have managed to beat 2 ranked opponents in a row this season. I’ll be rooting for the guys, but @ OSU, @Purdue is pretty much running murderers row at this point.

The big games for me are home vs. Iowa, home vs. Wisky. Take those two, and I think we can really start believing the bubble talk.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1780"]Played (lost) Marquette when they were #1 ( I think ) at Rec Hall.[/quote]

Correct.

I just checked a highlight and it showed they were ranked #2 then too.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:6, topic:1780”]Reality check the next two games. The next two could get ugly, and winning against 3 ranked opponents within a week is pretty much unheard of in the regular season. As a matter of fact, only PSU and UConn have managed to beat 2 ranked opponents in a row this season. I’ll be rooting for the guys, but @ OSU, @Purdue is pretty much running murderers row at this point.

The big games for me are home vs. Iowa, home vs. Wisky. Take those two, and I think we can really start believing the bubble talk.[/quote]

Bleed, I agree w/ you and I hope everyone is able to stay realistic over the next two games. Do I think the guys could steal one of these two games…sure. But I also think they could lose by 15+ in both of the games. We can’t let that discredit what they’ve done so far or taint the anticipation for the two home games you mention which I think will set the table for the rest of the seaon more than these two road games will.

It’s hard for me not to think we will win 1 of these next 2 games. Ohio St. keeps narrowly avoiding defeat. At some point it has to catch up to them and we have a nice hot streak going.

Correct.

I just checked a highlight and it showed they were ranked #2 then too.

Actually, looking back at the Ohio State game in 2007… I think Penn State “defacto” knocked OSU out of the #1 spot. How? Well…

The week of the PSU/OSU game, the rankings were 1.) Florida 2.) Ohio State 3.) Wiscy

That week, Florida lost to Vandy, setting the stage for OSU to take the top spot. However, on Wednesday, Penn State played Ohio State to within 2 points, with Walker coming close to knocking them off (as LP stated). On Saturday, Wiscy hammers Penn State by 26.

The poll on the following Monday had Wiscy jumping over and edging out Ohio State by 39 ranking points (Wiscy beating them in first place votes 35-31).

…hence, our first time “knocking off” a #1 team !!! ;D (…hey, we take what we can get… :-[ )

The last time Penn State faced the #1 ranked team was Ohio State (the Greg Oden-Mike Conley-Daquan Cook team) in 2006-07, losing 68-80 in Columbus. They faced Ohio State a week earlier when the Buckeyes were ranked #2, and came within a missed Mike Walker three-pointer at the buzzer away from upsetting them at the BJC.

They also lost to #1-ranked Illinois in 2004-05 (the Deron Williams-Dee Brown-Luther Head-James Augustine-Roger Powell team).

Penn State’s never beaten a #1-ranked team, #2 being the highest ranked-team they’ve ever knocked off.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:6, topic:1780”]Reality check the next two games. The next two could get ugly, and winning against 3 ranked opponents within a week is pretty much unheard of in the regular season. As a matter of fact, only PSU and UConn have managed to beat 2 ranked opponents in a row this season. I’ll be rooting for the guys, but @ OSU, @Purdue is pretty much running murderers row at this point.

The big games for me are home vs. Iowa, home vs. Wisky. Take those two, and I think we can really start believing the bubble talk.[/quote]
I agree, I am not putting the cart before the horse. But I watched OSU play the other night and if we keep it close I like our chances. Especially since OSU does not shoot FT’s very well. With that being said we can’t go and foul Diebler or Buford. We also can’t get Jeff and Andrew into foul trouble.

With that being said I like our chances in Columbus a heck of a lot better than West Lafayette.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:1, topic:1780”]Being that OSU is the defacto #1. Have we ever face the #1 team before and have we ever beaten them?

I remember playing the Running Sooners in the 80’s but can’t remember if there were #1.[/quote]

We have played, but never beaten, a #1.

Kentucky - in NCAAs in 1952.
West Virginia - home and away in 1957-58 season (lost by 3 at home).
Ohio State - away in 1961.
Temple - away in 1988 (lost by 1).
Indiana - home in 1993 (lost in 2OT).
Michigan State - away in 2001.
Ohio State - away in 2007.

Note: Marquette was #3 when we played them.

If you handed 100 people $100 and told them to put money on whether PSU will win at OSU or Purdue, 100 would put their $$$ on our opponent(s).

There are no expectations from our own fans that PSU will go into either of those places and come away with a win.

But PSU is not trying to win “3 straight against ranked opponents”. They are trying to win 1 against a ranked opponent. When you put it like that, it doesn’t seem so monumental a task, does it.

And when you look at what OSU has done in their past three games - W at Iowa by 5, W at home vs Minny by 3, W at Michigan by 4 - you will see that they are far from world beaters.

I think kids get psyched out by what is written on the front of their opponents jersey and lose the game before the opening tip. I don’t get that feeling with this bunch of Nittany’s. In fact, I get just the opposite.
They will once again rise to the occasion in both games.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:1, topic:1780"]Being that OSU is the defacto #1. Have we ever face the #1 team before and have we ever beaten them?

Indiana - home in 1993 (lost in OT).

1993 IU was 2OT.

Penn State Basketball: Next Game Primer with Coach Preston - at Ohio State

[quote="BleedPSU, post:6, topic:1780"]Reality check the next two games. The next two could get ugly, and winning against 3 ranked opponents within a week is pretty much unheard of in the regular season. As a matter of fact, only PSU and UConn have managed to beat 2 ranked opponents in a row this season. I'll be rooting for the guys, but @ OSU, @Purdue is pretty much running murderers row at this point.

If you handed 100 people $100 and told them to put money on whether PSU will win at OSU or Purdue, 100 would put their $$$ on our opponent(s).

There are no expectations from our own fans that PSU will go into either of those places and come away with a win.

But PSU is not trying to win “3 straight against ranked opponents”. They are trying to win 1 against a ranked opponent. When you put it like that, it doesn’t seem so monumental a task, does it.

And when you look at what OSU has done in their past three games - W at Iowa by 5, W at home vs Minny by 3, W at Michigan by 4 - you will see that they are far from world beaters.

I think kids get psyched out by what is written on the front of their opponents jersey and lose the game before the opening tip. I don’t get that feeling with this bunch of Nittany’s. In fact, I get just the opposite.

So, what are you doing with your “$100”? …I feel a bet coming… ;D

[quote="BleedPSU, post:6, topic:1780"]Reality check the next two games. The next two could get ugly, and winning against 3 ranked opponents within a week is pretty much unheard of in the regular season. As a matter of fact, only PSU and UConn have managed to beat 2 ranked opponents in a row this season. I'll be rooting for the guys, but @ OSU, @Purdue is pretty much running murderers row at this point.

It all depends on the odds I’m getting… If I’m getting like 100-1 payout on PSU, I’ll take that with someone else’s $100

Straight up…Ohio State.

But it will be the most fun I’ve ever had in losing $100 ;D

[quote="jjepsu92, post:1, topic:1780"]Being that OSU is the defacto #1. Have we ever face the #1 team before and have we ever beaten them?

Indiana - home in 1993 (lost in OT).

1993 IU was 2OT.

And in my mind, we won in regulation.