Opinions on Frazier

He’s certainly athletic. A good defender just because of his quickness. Unfortunately he shows no signs of being a scorer. I know that he’s just a freshman but take a look at the Illinois freshmen tonight. I’d sure like to see something offensively from him to give me optimism that he can become an offensive threat.

I’d settle for him being more like McCamey tonight but with the way our offense is run that’s not going to happen.

He can’t shoot. Gottlieb said he can’t go left, which is sort of noticeable now that he mentioned it. IMO, he’ll be okay at pg when Talor leaves, but not much before, cause I don’t know where it wil be. Not the 2, but I suppose maybe as a 3rd guard. From what I’ve seen so far, Buie is more of a scorer. I could see Battle, Buie, Babb at the 1-2-3, Frazier as a sub next year. Buie not the greatest shooter, but like Manny Harris, can take it to the hole, so I see him getting major minutes.

Of course, not sure who the coach will be, so much could change.

I think his left has improved a little from the beginning of these season, but he’s not there yet. I think he’ll improve his shot, he’s realized he’s not gonna blow by everyone and get easy shots, he’ll have to work on that. He does some impressive things on the run, and he adds another dimension at pushing the ball down the court at lightning (battle) pace. Just gotta remember, he’s a frosh, he’ll get much better.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:3, topic:752”]He can’t shoot.

Of course, not sure who the coach will be, so much could change.[/quote]

He’s actually a little better shooter than I was expecting when he came in. His shot is still a little flat, but I’m sure that his outside shot will be the thing that he’ll work on the most over the next year.

Ed will be the coach next year. Regardless of what you read in the national media (or on this board), there is zero chance that Curley gets rid of him after this season. He’ll be on a very short leash next year and will have to have a big season to reamin after that (at least I would believe).

His shot has to get better but even more so is his selection. He’s not a three point/long range type shooter. He also has to work on not getting trapped under the basket. Luckily he’s a freshman so hopefully he’ll be able to improve for next year.

I don’t agree on the shot selection (at least not from long range, as it’s more when he takes it into traffic that he gets in trouble). Heading into tonight, he only shot 21 3 pointers in 20 games, and is hitting them at a 43% clip. I think he’s been extremely patient with not putting up outside shots (he has a better 3 point % than all 6 guys that have taken more 3’s than him).

[quote="kidcoyote, post:3, topic:752"]He can't shoot. ... Of course, not sure who the coach will be, so much could change.[/quote]

He’s actually a little better shooter than I was expecting when he came in. His shot is still a little flat, but I’m sure that his outside shot will be the thing that he’ll work on the most over the next year.

Ed will be the coach next year. Regardless of what you read in the national media (or on this board), there is zero chance that Curley gets rid of him after this season. He’ll be on a very short leash next year and will have to have a big season to reamin after that (at least I would believe).

I agree he’s a little better shooter than I thought he would be. Wish he would look to score more.

Disagree about Ed having zero chance of being canned. If you go 0-18 there is nothing you can say to defend yourself and we will see how much the suits really care about PSU basketball

[quote=“battlesway2, post:8, topic:752”]He’s actually a little better shooter than I was expecting when he came in. His shot is still a little flat, but I’m sure that his outside shot will be the thing that he’ll work on the most over the next year.

Ed will be the coach next year. Regardless of what you read in the national media (or on this board), there is zero chance that Curley gets rid of him after this season. He’ll be on a very short leash next year and will have to have a big season to reamin after that (at least I would believe).[/quote]I agree he’s a little better shooter than I thought he would be. Wish he would look to score more.

Disagree about Ed having zero chance of being canned. If you go 0-18 there is nothing you can say to defend yourself and we will see how much the suits really care about PSU basketball
[/quote]

Tim’s still a freshman. Since we always compare him to Pringle, look at how much Stan improved in 2 years. Tim’s scoring will improve over time, but the raw talent is there. Still TON of upside with him.

About ED… Record doesn’t matter at this point. He’s not getting canned now, and put a 1st year coach in for Buie and Battle’s 1 year together. NOT going to happen, and it has nothing to say about how much the suits care about hoops.

[quote="battlesway2, post:8, topic:752"]He's actually a little better shooter than I was expecting when he came in. His shot is still a little flat, but I'm sure that his outside shot will be the thing that he'll work on the most over the next year.

Ed will be the coach next year. Regardless of what you read in the national media (or on this board), there is zero chance that Curley gets rid of him after this season. He’ll be on a very short leash next year and will have to have a big season to reamin after that (at least I would believe).[/quote]I agree he’s a little better shooter than I thought he would be. Wish he would look to score more.

Tim’s still a freshman. Since we always compare him to Pringle, look at how much Stan improved in 2 years. Tim’s scoring will improve over time, but the raw talent is there. Still TON of upside with him.

About ED… Record doesn’t matter at this point. He’s not getting canned now, and put a 1st year coach in for Buie and Battle’s 1 year together. NOT going to happen, and it has nothing to say about how much the suits care about hoops.
[/quote]What could the new coach do worse than 0-18? I don’t think that’s a point you can’t defend that and even as much as some dislike Curley he will prob make a move. Guess we shall see

I don’t think it is fair to pick out one weakness and say that is the reason Frazier is not playing very well in league games. Frazier is athletic. His left hand is OK. Speed good. Handle Ok. His shot is Ok. …Put it together and he will be a fine player when he adapts to Big Ten play. He played much better in the preseason games. In the league games the half court defense is MUCH better. He just looks “trapped” out on the court. In time he will "figure it out.’

I like Frazier, but unfortunately we don’t have enough shooters on the floor when he is in the game. His 3pt percentage is good even though his form looks a little awkward. But he is too reluctant to shoot it so his defender can sag into the lane and help out - contributing to the stagnation of our half court offense.

Frazier’s fine and he’s going to be even better as he progresses. Sure he can shoot a little more, but my feeling is he’s looking to get more of his teammates involved at this juncture of his career.

As for the initial comparison on this thread…

Brandon Paul - Top 50 recruit - came into Illinois with as a can’t miss talent. Yet he has struggled in the shadow of McCamey, probably due to the fact that they want him to be a point guard, but he plays more like a shooting guard. Last night was his lone bright spot in what has been a disappointing Big Ten campaign for the freshman.

DJ Richardson is a special player with a fantastic shooting touch and ability to create. But he is a pure shooting guard and not a freshman point guard trying his hand at the Big Ten. Not fair to compare him to what Timmy deals with.

Add that to the fact that these two were looked upon early in the season to become the Illini offense and you can understand why they have a scorer’s mentality/personality, even on a team laden with juniors.