PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Opening Night--Freshman get in free

Opening Night is FREE for all Freshman. Ticket is already loaded onto their ID card. All they have to do is show up.

Great idea. Good way to maybe hook a few more fans.

They must be listening to us.

Awesome.

According to some here, this isn’t enough. There should be magic carpets at the doors of all freshmen (all students for that matter) that fly the students to the game. At the game, they will be treated to gourmet meals and unlimited refills of drinks. After the game, students will be transported back to their dorms in limos. :smiley:

Do you think they would have a packed house if they made the opener free to all students?

Just saw on Facebook that the first 1,000 students get a shot to win an iPad.

I assume that’s through a drawing and not actually parading 1000 students onto the BJC court to take a half court “shot” at halftime ;D. Could make for an interesting halftime though, but they’d have to supplant Quick Change…oh heavens no. :slight_smile:

No.

there are many times more students enrolled at UP then there are seats at the BJC, so the answer is potentially yes. would it happen? hard to say. the fact that a large majority of freshman are just down the street from the BJC in east halls makes it all the more convenient. i don’t even think we need a packed house for the opener. even if it’s 3/4th full (packed lower level, and half full in the upper level), that makes a huge difference. there’s a good chance that if it’s 3/4th full for the opener, with wins, it could be sold out for weekend BigTen games and hopefully more than half full for midweek games. i think out of any OOC game, the one game where it needs to be at least 3/4 full is the Maryland game. we need the crowd support for that game!

[quote=“noobd, post:4, topic:1445”]Awesome.

According to some here, this isn’t enough. There should be magic carpets at the doors of all freshmen (all students for that matter) that fly the students to the game. At the game, they will be treated to gourmet meals and unlimited refills of drinks. After the game, students will be transported back to their dorms in limos. :D[/quote]
You may have a future in marketing. You post is NOT as far fetched as you might think. Low prices and incentives are regularly used to increase “market share” for a new or priory unsuccessful product in business. Continue to think “outside the box!” PSU has been unsuccessful in men’s basketball for 55 years. A big time “JUMP START” is needed!!
It doesn’t cost PSU ANYTHING to offer free student tickets. Why are some people so shocked at the idea?? ???

The Free Freshman is a good idea…BUT let’s not stop at the first game!!

Marketing!? I’d love to have “a product that sells itself” … you know what I mean! :wink:

I aways wanted to be 6-6.

If you DON’T have a product that sells itself…what do you do??
Many on this board seem to except the status quo and vehemently argue that there is ONE program in the country worst than ours!
PSU management seems to just give it “lip service.”

The cost is the loss on potential ticket sales. :wink:

[quote="mjg, post:6, topic:1445"]Just saw on Facebook that the first 1,000 students get a shot to win an iPad.[/quote]

I assume that’s through a drawing and not actually parading 1000 students onto the BJC court to take a half court “shot” at halftime ;D. Could make for an interesting halftime though, but they’d have to supplant Quick Change…oh heavens no. :slight_smile:

Yes, they are entered in a drawing.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:1445"]It doesn't cost PSU ANYTHING to offer free student tickets. Why are some people so shocked at the idea?? ???[/quote]

So you’ll get 100 freshman to come and buy tickets at what $5 (that’s $500) Maybe, just maybe, you’ll now get 1,000 freshman to pay $5 for a Coke and a hot dog (probably more - I don’t know the going rate for either tickets or concessions)…there’s $5,000 minus cost of a Coke and a hot dog (what 50 cents at most). Add the $500 you’ll make in ticket revenue to the $500 you’ll get from those 100 people who bought tickets and you get $950 (1000 minus 50 for the cost) total vs $4500 total for letting the kids in for free. Even half that amount, 500 kids in for free, might give you $2250.

I still don’t see the issue with having all non-conference crap games like this and Lehigh, CCSU, Fairfield (good game not so much name) and several others not named Maryland free for students. You develop an excitement about the team, so when games like Maryland and the conference games come about, you have these kids who got in for free wanting to be there for the bigger games. If they had a good time at East Stroudsburg and Lehigh, they’re bound to have a grand time at Maryland and Illinois and would be willing to fork over the ducats, and bring their friends along. Word of mouth is the best marketer of all. When I was in the dorms my freshman year and a small group of kids said they were going to such and such game, we all joined in (then again, all games were free back then, ah haaaa) I guess that’s what PSU is hoping in doing this for this game. But I say, one game is not enough.

Shallow is the man who sees only the price (cost) of doing something, yet none of the value.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:1445"]It doesn't cost PSU ANYTHING to offer free student tickets. Why are some people so shocked at the idea?? ???[/quote]

So you’ll get 100 freshman to come and buy tickets at what $5 (that’s $500) Maybe, just maybe, you’ll now get 1,000 freshman to pay $5 for a Coke and a hot dog (probably more - I don’t know the going rate for either tickets or concessions)…there’s $5,000 minus cost of a Coke and a hot dog (what 50 cents at most). Add the $500 you’ll make in ticket revenue to the $500 you’ll get from those 100 people who bought tickets and you get $950 (1000 minus 50 for the cost) total vs $4500 total for letting the kids in for free. Even half that amount, 500 kids in for free, might give you $2250.

I still don’t see the issue with having all non-conference crap games like this and Lehigh, CCSU, Fairfield (good game not so much name) and several others not named Maryland free for students. You develop an excitement about the team, so when games like Maryland and the conference games come about, you have these kids who got in for free wanting to be there for the bigger games. If they had a good time at East Stroudsburg and Lehigh, they’re bound to have a grand time at Maryland and Illinois and would be willing to fork over the ducats, and bring their friends along. Word of mouth is the best marketer of all. When I was in the dorms my freshman year and a small group of kids said they were going to such and such game, we all joined in (then again, all games were free back then, ah haaaa) I guess that’s what PSU is hoping in doing this for this game. But I say, one game is not enough.

Shallow is the man who sees only the price (cost) of doing something, yet none of the value.

The risk that you run when you start these freebies is that you can fall into the trap where your customers no longer believe the price of your product is what’s written on the ticket. They quickly won’t buy at list price and simply wait until they can get a discounted product (see the auto industry for this carried to an extreme). That’s not to say an occasional freebie isn’t warranted but you don’t want to get in the habit of doing it too often.

I dont think psu gets revenue from concession sales. That wasnt my point anyway. I was just saying it isnt free (im an acct) :wink:

Plus, you have to have something to market. What if the team sucks early on due to all the new players not gelling? A bunch of freshmen get to see junk hoops and dont want to come back. Wheres the value in that?

Im glad they are giving away tickets but id rather it be for a bigger game later in the OOC season, assuming if the team shows promise. Thats where the real value is imo.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:15, topic:1445"]So you'll get 100 freshman to come and buy tickets at what $5 (that's $500) Maybe, just maybe, you'll now get 1,000 freshman to pay $5 for a Coke and a hot dog (probably more - I don't know the going rate for either tickets or concessions)...there's $5,000 minus cost of a Coke and a hot dog (what 50 cents at most). Add the $500 you'll make in ticket revenue to the $500 you'll get from those 100 people who bought tickets and you get $950 (1000 minus 50 for the cost) total vs $4500 total for letting the kids in for free. Even half that amount, 500 kids in for free, might give you $2250.[/quote]

I dont think psu gets revenue from concession sales. That wasnt my point anyway. I was just saying it isnt free (im an acct) :wink:

Plus, you have to have something to market. What if the team sucks early on due to all the new players not gelling? A bunch of freshmen get to see junk hoops and dont want to come back. Wheres the value in that?

Im glad they are giving away tickets but id rather it be for a bigger game later in the OOC season, assuming if the team shows promise. Thats where the real value is imo.

How about BOTH or ALL. I’ll give ya the benefit of the doubt…but it almost seems you favor the “do nothing” system ??? ??? ???

Old saying… “Change a losing game.”

That would not be a problem if students got in free all the time. Of course if students don’t pay for their season tix, they might decide to not go to every game. Probably more likely to show up for games if you paid for the ticket already. Who knows what the right answer is. Bottom line is still “if we win, the seats will be filled”.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1445"]Do you think they would have a packed house if they made the opener free to all students?[/quote]

there are many times more students enrolled at UP then there are seats at the BJC, so the answer is potentially yes.

The answer is “no, absolutely no chance.” Penn State basketball, especially right now, is not going to draw a packed house against the likes of Lehigh.