PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Open Practice

Just got the notice about the open practice for season ticketholders. Not sure why they scheduled it to conflict with the Minny game…10 am to 1 pm. Would have liked to go. ???

We should NOT be restricting the “Open Practice!” ???
We should be using an “Open Practice” to MARKET the team to everybody…especially students. Give aways,raffles, gift cards…buses for the students from all dorm areas, hawkers at dorm areas etc etc etc…

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:1403”]We should NOT be restricting the “Open Practice!” ???
We should be using an “Open Practice” to MARKET the team to everybody…especially students. Give aways,raffles, gift cards…buses for the students from all dorm areas, hawkers at dorm areas etc etc etc…[/quote]

EXACTLY !!!

There should be no exclusivity to something that has little interest to begin with !!! Build a solid fan base, THEN you can make this thing exclusive !!!

I think you have that wrong. Unless there has been a change, Saturday’s practice is open to Nittany Lion Hoop Club members only, it is not open to season ticket holders.

CORRECTION: That was scheduled to be a Hoops Club function only but I just checked my mail and I see that it is now open to all season ticket holders.

I’m probably missing something but any idea how they verify your ticket holder status? I don’t have any kind of BB ticket holder ID and they haven’t mailed the tickets yet that I know of.

So, if there is no way to verify, it’s open to everyone by default.

IMO, It should be anyway.

[quote=“Speed, post:5, topic:1403”]I’m probably missing something but any idea how they verify your ticket holder status? I don’t have any kind of BB ticket holder ID and they haven’t mailed the tickets yet that I know of.

So, if there is no way to verify, it’s open to everyone by default.

IMO, It should be anyway.[/quote]

In the past, they’ve had a list at the door and you have to show ID.

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions To Host Open Practice For Season Ticket Holders Saturday

[quote=“GoSpikes, post:1, topic:1403”]Just got the notice about the open practice for season ticketholders. Not sure why they scheduled it to conflict with the Minny game…10 am to 1 pm. Would have liked to go. ???[/quote] You might miss a field goal or two. You should be okay.

During the Minne football game…oh well…we will be saving on the pizza… :wink: …isn’t that what really counts…

I wonder what the “announced attendance” will be?? I guess as long as it’s > than NW’s invite practice attendance then some fans can claim success ::slight_smile:

[quote="CAPPY, post:7, topic:1403"][url=http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102110aaa.html]gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions To Host Open Practice For Season Ticket Holders Saturday [/url][/quote]

During the Minne football game…oh well…we will be saving on the pizza… :wink: …isn’t that what really counts…

I wonder what the “announced attendance” will be?? I guess as long as it’s > than NW’s invite practice attendance then some fans can claim success ::slight_smile:

Your “announced attendance” remark seems to be directed at me. If so, you are totally missing the point I was trying to make when I compared NW attendance to ours. The last thing that I was trying to suggest was that our attendance should be declared a “success”.

The point that I was making was that giving out free tickets does not automatically mean people will show up. PSU notoriously, and rightfully so, gets pot shots for having poor attendance. Yet, Northwestern’s attendance trails ours by some 3000 per game. So if our attendance is bad, Northwestern’s should be considered horrible. Yet Northwestern students have “free” tickets to hoops games. Which certainly indicates to me that “free” tickets aren’t doing much to help out NW’s attendance woes. Nor do I think that they would do much here either. Giving tickets away isn’t going to solve anything.

[quote="CAPPY, post:7, topic:1403"][url=http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102110aaa.html]gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions To Host Open Practice For Season Ticket Holders Saturday [/url][/quote]

Your “announced attendance” remark seems to be directed at me. If so, you are totally missing the point I was trying to make when I compared NW attendance to ours. The last thing that I was trying to suggest was that our attendance should be declared a “success”.

The point that I was making was that giving out free tickets does not automatically mean people will show up. PSU notoriously, and rightfully so, gets pot shots for having poor attendance. Yet, Northwestern’s attendance trails ours by some 3000 per game. So if our attendance is bad, Northwestern’s should be considered horrible. Yet Northwestern students have “free” tickets to hoops games. Which certainly indicates to me that “free” tickets aren’t doing much to help out NW’s attendance woes. Nor do I think that they would do much here either. Giving tickets away isn’t going to solve anything.

Penn State has around 44,000 students . Northwestern has around 16,000 nuff said. The probably get as many students to show as psu does.

Honest question. If PSU gave away free tickets this season instead of charging students $5 each, what do you think the inpact would be on student attendance. As in, over the course of the season, how many more students would we draw per game? I’m interested to hear what impact you guys would think it would make.

[quote=“frats, post:12, topic:1403”]Honest question. If PSU gave away free tickets this season instead of charging students $5 each, what do you think the inpact would be on student attendance. As in, over the course of the season, how many more students would we draw per game? I’m interested to hear what impact you guys would think it would make.[/quote]couple hundred more would be my guess.

[quote="frats, post:12, topic:1403"]Honest question. If PSU gave away free tickets this season instead of charging students $5 each, what do you think the inpact would be on student attendance. As in, over the course of the season, how many more students would we draw per game? I'm interested to hear what impact you guys would think it would make.[/quote]couple hundred more would be my guess.
I think that I agree. For the little games - not so much, but against the big names we'd get a pretty decent student draw, IMO.

Remember the OSU game a few years back when Greg Oden came to the BJC? It was amidst a blizzard, so the AD decided with short notice to allow students in for free. We drew a pretty decent student turnout, especially considering the conditions, and the atmosphere it helped to created nearly sparked PSU to pull off the upset - it came down to an open Mike Walker 3 at the buzzer that rimmed out.

I you can remember, free posters that could be written on were given out to all of the students in attendance that day. On multiple signs, I saw messages like " I only came because it was free!" written. I mean, free tickets are not gonna make much of a difference against Stony Brook, SELA, etc. or cause sell-out crowds even against the MSU’s of the world. However, my guess is that free tickets would make a noticeable difference in student attendance for the big games on the sched.noti

Not much. The reason kids aren’t going isn’t because the tickets are too expensive. That’s the point that I was trying to make.

My feeling is also that it would be in the neighborhood of a few hundred.

That game against OSU had a lot of things working for it. I think that the snow actually added to the attendance, as it was “the thing to do” that night. I think if that game is on a nice night with the free tickets, the student attendance isn’t as high, but it got the “buzz” that it needed. My opinion is that simply giving free tickets to every game doesn’t make much of a difference. I really don’t see the $5 keeping people away. If you’re getting 200 more fans a game, that’s certainly better than them not being there, but is it worth the ~72k it costs (12 games * $5 per game * 1k students, all estimates since I have no idea how many student tickets are sold or how many games are in them). Then, you’ll take the big PR hit if you do start charging again for students. In my 4 years at PSU, I never came across a PSU hoops fan that didn’t get tickets because of the cost (and I’ve never even heard of someone not getting them because of the cost). Create a buzz around the program by winning, and they’ll come.

If I thought that giving tickets away for free would make much of an impact, then I’d certainly be all for it. I just don’t think that it really matters.

[quote="frats, post:12, topic:1403"]Honest question. If PSU gave away free tickets this season instead of charging students $5 each, what do you think the inpact would be on student attendance. As in, over the course of the season, how many more students would we draw per game? I'm interested to hear what impact you guys would think it would make.[/quote]couple hundred more would be my guess.

That’s what my guess would be too.

Northwestern is pathetic !!!

They have a pathetic football stadium, a pathetic basketball facility, and they really don’t give a crap about their athletic programs.

The other thing that is pathetic is that one would choose to use Northwestern as a comparison to Penn State. Is this what we are really comparing ourselves to? Do we think that we can only aspire to the level of Northwestern? …a university a 1/3 the size of Penn State with a 5 decade history of athetic futility? The only BCS team to NEVER make the NCAAs, and you use THEM as an example of how we can’t get students in with free tickets?

I don’t believe free tickets would have a great impact either, especially if they are free for all games. A free ticket special promo might see a big jump but not if every game was free.

I come from the camp of “if it is free, it has no value.” Free tickets devalue the program to those given the tickets so it becomes even less important to attend.

That’s what my guess would be too.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m sure my attendance at games would have dropped significantly when I was in college if I had to pay. I didn’t have much money. So what I had, I spent on the essentials – food and cheap beer.