Ooc schedule

to the SID:

It is the middle of JUNE , AND TIME TO RELEASE THE OOC schedule. Shouldn’t be a problem, we have done it the past four years after a lot of proding.
Trust that we do not have to go to the AD to get it done

Season Ticket Holders

[quote=“pap17754, post:1, topic:1239”]to the SID:

It is the middle of JUNE , AND TIME TO RELEASE THE OOC schedule. Shouldn’t be a problem, we have done it the past four years after a lot of proding.

Season Ticket Holders[/quote]

I am pretty sure the schedule (outside of two known OCC games…Charleston Classic 1st round opponent and Virginia Tech) wasn’t released until August.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081909aaa.html

[quote="pap17754, post:1, topic:1239"]to the SID:

Season Ticket Holders[/quote]

I am pretty sure the schedule (outside of two known OCC games…Charleston Classic 1st round opponent and Virginia Tech) wasn’t released until August.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081909aaa.html

I seem to recall that the schedule is usually released shortly before the mailing of season ticket renewals.

All of the schedules are released at once when the Big Ten office gives the nod. That’s ranged lately between mid-July and early August. I wouldn’t hold your breath for anything official.

I’m sure a few people in the know (any on PSUHoops?) know 90%+ of the schedule. I know the SHU OOC schedule minus 2-3 games that aren’t official. In contrast, I don’t know that much of PSU’s.

PSU’s OOC:
fairfield
vt
b10/acc challenge
@ole miss

delaware state?
cornell?
lehigh?

That leaves at least 4 slots at “unknown” assuming the 3 rumored games above happen (the question marks).

Wisconsin released their OOC schedule last week.

What I know from PSU’s schedule so far:

@ Virginia Tech
@ Mississippi
Maryland
Lehigh
Delaware State
Maine
Fairfield

Not too much to criticize there.

[quote="djones, post:4, topic:1239"]All of the schedules are released at once when the Big Ten office gives the nod. That's ranged lately between mid-July and early August. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything official.[/quote]

@ Virginia Tech
@ Mississippi
Maryland
Lehigh
Delaware State
Maine
Fairfield

Same here,the only other thing I know is that the rumor that we talked about having a home-home with Kansas was true.

-Wasn’t aware of the Maine schedule. They had a 154 RPI and don’t lose much.
-Delaware States loses their top 2 scorers coming off a 215 RPI season. They will most likely be around 250.
-Lehigh loses their 2nd and 3rd scorers coming off a 151 RPI season - they should be around the same, maybe a little lower.

Not seeing the really big cupcakes were used to seeing here.

[quote="djones, post:4, topic:1239"]All of the schedules are released at once when the Big Ten office gives the nod. That's ranged lately between mid-July and early August. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything official.[/quote]

@ Virginia Tech
@ Mississippi
Maryland
Lehigh
Delaware State
Maine
Fairfield

Same here,the only other thing I know is that the rumor that we talked about having a home-home with Kansas was true.

What? When did this come about? BJC or Allen first?

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1239”]-Wasn’t aware of the Maine schedule. They had a 154 RPI and don’t lose much.
-Delaware States loses their top 2 scorers coming off a 215 RPI season. They will most likely be around 250.
-Lehigh loses their 2nd and 3rd scorers coming off a 151 RPI season - they should be around the same, maybe a little lower.

Not seeing the really big cupcakes were used to seeing here.[/quote]

To me it still looks like a lot of very bad RPI teams, with a few OK teams mixed in. DeChellis should be scheduling to create a top 20 SOS. He can’t rely on having a good big ten record when the league is as good as it is. I don’t understand what he is trying to accomplish, he seems to think he can sneak in if he can create a 150-200 OOC SOS. It doesn’t make any sense, especially given his track record of blowing some of these easy early contests.

@ Virginia Tech
@ Mississippi
Maryland
Lehigh
Delaware State
Maine
Fairfield

What? When did this come about? BJC or Allen first?

I think he’s confirming that the schools talked about playing, not that they actually scheduled a series.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1239"]-Wasn't aware of the Maine schedule. They had a 154 RPI and don't lose much. -Delaware States loses their top 2 scorers coming off a 215 RPI season. They will most likely be around 250. -Lehigh loses their 2nd and 3rd scorers coming off a 151 RPI season - they should be around the same, maybe a little lower.

To me it still looks like a lot of very bad RPI teams, with a few OK teams mixed in. DeChellis should be scheduling to create a top 20 SOS. He can’t rely on having a good big ten record when the league is as good as it is. I don’t understand what he is trying to accomplish, he seems to think he can sneak in if he can create a 150-200 OOC SOS. It doesn’t make any sense, especially given his track record of blowing some of these easy early contests.

Not trying to really have ED’s back here, but does the schedule completely fall 100% into his hands??? My thought was always that the answer was no, not all in the coaches hands (not just at PSU but anywhere really). Maybe I need some solid evidence to the contrary…anyone?

Maine may be the best possible mid major schedule. I didn’t hear about that either.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1239"]-Wasn't aware of the Maine schedule. They had a 154 RPI and don't lose much. -Delaware States loses their top 2 scorers coming off a 215 RPI season. They will most likely be around 250. -Lehigh loses their 2nd and 3rd scorers coming off a 151 RPI season - they should be around the same, maybe a little lower.

Not trying to really have ED’s back here, but does the schedule completely fall 100% into his hands??? My thought was always that the answer was no, not all in the coaches hands (not just at PSU but anywhere really). Maybe I need some solid evidence to the contrary…anyone?

I think it is mostly in his hands. For all of the problems that Dunn had, the OOC schedules were 1000x better

He might have budget restraints that limit how much he can pay a non-conference foe to come in but other than that it should be 100% in his hands.

What is your definition of “very bad RPI” ? Mid 100s RPI is not bad. (Lehigh, Fairfield, and Maine). Delware State will be a bad schedule, 250+

However, in years past, the schedule was flipped. There would be 3 or more 250+ teams, and one mid 100s team. We shall see how these teams pan out.

What is your definition of “very bad RPI” ? Mid 100s RPI is not bad. (Lehigh, Fairfield, and Maine). Delware State will be a bad schedule, 250+

However, in years past, the schedule was flipped. There would be 3 or more 250+ teams, and one mid 100s team. We shall see how these teams pan out.

That’s obviously a matter of personal judgment but I’ve always considered the worst quartile as the very bad teams. With 347 teams in D1, that works out to about 87 teams a quartile - so 250-260 is as good a cutoff as any.

Or you could look at it like Jerry Palm does when he tries to mirror the selection committee and labels losses to teams that are over 100 as bad losses, and losses to teams over 200 as very bad losses.

[quote="Mrm170, post:12, topic:1239"]Not trying to really have ED's back here, but does the schedule completely fall 100% into his hands??? My thought was always that the answer was no, not all in the coaches hands (not just at PSU but anywhere really). Maybe I need some solid evidence to the contrary...anyone?[/quote]

He might have budget restraints that limit how much he can pay a non-conference foe to come in but other than that it should be 100% in his hands.

…and as we all know, budgets restraints are a huge part of this whole equation.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:17, topic:1239”]That’s obviously a matter of personal judgment but I’ve always considered the worst quartile as the very bad teams. With 347 teams in D1, that works out to about 87 teams a quartile - so 250-260 is as good a cutoff as any.

Or you could look at it like Jerry Palm does when he tries to mirror the selection committee and labels losses to teams that are over 100 as bad losses, and losses to teams over 200 as very bad losses. [/quote]

Good points. I’m not sure how much beating a 150 RPI team vs. beating a 275+ team differs (RPI formula?); but I do know that mid 100 RPI teams are not bad for “building an RPI”.

RPI formula: http://www.vaporia.com/sports/rpi.html - Seems like it is based of winning percentage. More often than not, mid 100s teams are mid-major teams or less that have good winning percentages, but aren’t 23-11, 24-9 of BCS quality. ie: Lehigh (22-11), Maine (19-11), Fairfield (23-11)

The OOC schedule is released in Mid-Late June and the Big 10 schedule comes out of the Big 10 office in Late August. Gives PSU two news releases on the schedule.