PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OOC schedule revisited

[quote="bballguy, post:5, topic:1724"]I have a feeling our non-conference schedule will be just as weak next season as it was 2 seasons ago when we just missed out on the tournament. We're going to need easy wins.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. With four seniors gone and Buie a huge question mark. Who the heck would our starting five even be?!?

Agreed. I don’t think the tournament is a realistic goal next year, so what is the next scheduling priority?

We should always schedule the same – similar to this year. If not, we could miss the tournament in the years that we play above expectations. For example, what if next year Sasa somehow becomes a 20 point a game guy and Bowman lights it up from 3 and we end up .500 in conference? That would stink to not make the tournament because we scheduled down to expectations. In theory, we should win at least 7 or 8 of the games we scheduled this year no matter what our roster looks like.

I have a different philosophy when it comes to that. I think you have to have a realistic goal as to what you want to accomplish each year.

If next year’s team plays a schedule like we have this year, it’s possible that you can have a 6 or 7 win season. That does not so the program ANY good at all.

You will be breakingin a LOT of new faces, who will need a LOT of work. Schedule team that you can 1.) beat 2.) have success running the offensive and defensive schemes that you are trying to instill in those players.

Success is more important than some lottery-type post season chances. Have a schedule where you can realistically win 8 or nine games in the OOC.

[quote="bballguy, post:5, topic:1724"]I have a feeling our non-conference schedule will be just as weak next season as it was 2 seasons ago when we just missed out on the tournament. We're going to need easy wins.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. With four seniors gone and Buie a huge question mark. Who the heck would our starting five even be?!?

Agreed. I don’t think the tournament is a realistic goal next year, so what is the next scheduling priority?

We should always schedule the same – similar to this year. If not, we could miss the tournament in the years that we play above expectations. For example, what if next year Sasa somehow becomes a 20 point a game guy and Bowman lights it up from 3 and we end up .500 in conference? That would stink to not make the tournament because we scheduled down to expectations. In theory, we should win at least 7 or 8 of the games we scheduled this year no matter what our roster looks like.

I have a different philosophy when it comes to that. I think you have to have a realistic goal as to what you want to accomplish each year.

If next year’s team plays a schedule like we have this year, it’s possible that you can have a 6 or 7 win season. That does not so the program ANY good at all.

You will be breakingin a LOT of new faces, who will need a LOT of work. Schedule team that you can 1.) beat 2.) have success running the offensive and defensive schemes that you are trying to instill in those players.

Success is more important than some lottery-type post season chances. Have a schedule where you can realistically win 8 or nine games in the OOC.

In ANY season, we should be favored to beat these eight teams. If we aren’t, we have bigger problems than can be fixed by a dumbing down of the schedule.

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

In ANY season, we should be favored to beat these eight teams. If we aren’t, we have bigger problems than can be fixed by a dumbing down of the schedule.

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

We might be favored b/c we’re a Big10 team but if you lined our projected roster from next season up against these 8 teams that we played this year, I think we’d be doing well to win 5 of them. However, I would prefer to see us play this schedule and lose as opposd to playing a schedule with multiple servings of cupcakes and picking up some “bad” wins.

I’m with Lar on this one. PSU can’t shy away from that schedule.

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

LET’S BE FOR REAL !!! Next year’s team will lose 4 4-year starters. They remaining players will be PAINFULLY inexperienced.

Is there ANYONE who thinks that Penn State will have a successful season next year?

This year’s schedule was created for RPI reasons. We had GOOD teams from mid-major conferences. They were teams that were successful last season, and have a lot of experience and production returning for THIS season. I don’t want to see a very young Penn Staet team get whooped by an experienced Furman, St Joes, or Duquesne. What good would that possible do?

I am also NOT saying that we should have a creampuff schedule EVERY year, but you schedule for the team you have.

Give the kids some chance for success. Let them learn how to win at the collegiate level. Give them a chance to learn the offense and defense in games where they can be successful with it. Once they hit the BIG TEN, they will learn to play top caliber competition. Isn’t 5 straight games against TOP 25 teams enough?

If things stay as they are then next year’s team of course would be expected to have a losing record. I am going to assume Taran won’t be back. You’d have Frazier as your most experienced player. Ross Travis will probably see a lot of minutes if he’s healthy. Sasa would likely see significant time. I would assume Marshall, Bowman, and Graham would all get a lot of playing time and then Billy might play the same role he’s playing now as one of the first guys off the bench. Regardless, any time you are relying on inexperienced players who were mostly recruited by mid-major schools you will have problems. Plus we have to wonder how Sasa’s recovery will go. Next season you would probably see a similar schedule as Indiana’s or Northwestern’s from this season. Lots of low level teams.

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

LET’S BE FOR REAL !!! Next year’s team will lose 4 4-year starters. They remaining players will be PAINFULLY inexperienced.

Is there ANYONE who thinks that Penn State will have a successful season next year?

This year’s schedule was created for RPI reasons. We had GOOD teams from mid-major conferences. They were teams that were successful last season, and have a lot of experience and production returning for THIS season. I don’t want to see a very young Penn Staet team get whooped by an experienced Furman, St Joes, or Duquesne. What good would that possible do?

I am also NOT saying that we should have a creampuff schedule EVERY year, but you schedule for the team you have.

Give the kids some chance for success. Let them learn how to win at the collegiate level. Give them a chance to learn the offense and defense in games where they can be successful with it. Once they hit the BIG TEN, they will learn to play top caliber competition. Isn’t 5 straight games against TOP 25 teams enough?

The point is that there is success to be had against the very schedule that we have this year. There’s no need to dumb down that schedule. Every team on that list is beatable. Would we probably have a harder time than this year’s team? Certainly. But every team should still be considered very beatable.

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

The point is that there is success to be had against the very schedule that we have this year. There’s no need to dumb down that schedule. Every team on that list is beatable. Would we probably have a harder time than this year’s team? Certainly. But every team should still be considered very beatable.

Well, there’s the understatement of the year !!! Would it be harder to beat the teams on this year’s OOC schedule without Talor, Jeff, DJ, and Drew? ABSOLUTELY !!!

Are those teams beatable ? Sure, in theory. We have 4 losses to go along with 2 very close calls, and that was with our 4 SENIORS. Don’t try to tell me how team are beatable with nothing but freshman and sophomores, when we are barely getting by with seniors.

Reality is, we would lose the majority of our OOC games next year against those types of teams. …and THEN we would go into the BIG TEN.

Honestly folks, a season with single digit wins really does nothing for a program. It moves the program backwardds even further than it would be as it is !!!

Lehigh
Saint Joseph’s
Fairfield
Central Connecticut
Furman
Duquesne
Mt St. Mary’s
Maine

Well, there’s the understatement of the year !!! Would it be harder to beat the teams on this year’s OOC schedule without Talor, Jeff, DJ, and Drew? ABSOLUTELY !!!

Are those teams beatable ? Sure, in theory. We have 4 losses to go along with 2 very close calls, and that was with our 4 SENIORS. Don’t try to tell me how team are beatable with nothing but freshman and sophomores, when we are barely getting by with seniors.

Reality is, we would lose the majority of our OOC games next year against those types of teams. …and THEN we would go into the BIG TEN.

Honestly folks, a season with single digit wins really does nothing for a program. It moves the program backwardds even further than it would be as it is !!!

And a 10 win season featuring 9 wins over South Lancaster Tech and the Bellefonte School For The Blind is going to do a lot for us as a program? At least we get experience against a real schedule. I’ll take experience over false-confidence and ugly wins against the worst of the worst anyday, people who only pay attention to our W/L record be damned.

I’m going to take a stab at our starting 5 (provided there’s NO TRANSFERS, and the recruits who committed to PSU):
PG: Frazier
SG: Buie
SF: Marshall
PF: Oliver/Graham
C: Alexis

Bench production from: Woodyard, Bowman, Travis, and Ackerman

If Buie transfers, and all the other things stay the same:
SG: Bowman/Marshall
SF: Marshall/Travis

[quote=“rwd5035, post:30, topic:1724”][b]I’m going to take a stab at our starting 5 (provided there’s NO TRANSFERS, and the recruits who committed to PSU):

Bench production from: Woodyard, Bowman, Travis, and Ackerman[/b][/quote]

I see some potential in this lineup. Marshall will need to prove tonight’s 18 was not a fluke (I’ve been on his bandwagon since the summer, so I hope not). And some others will need to step up. Probably a lot of growing pains too. But I see some potential here.

Me too. And I thought the coaching staff was, as well. He just seemed like a ‘Geary-like’ recruit in that he had no hype around his recruitment whatsoever but the coaches were on him like a hawk. I don’t know what he had to prove to the coaches to get him some run, but I would have to think now he’s earned his spot. Looking forward to seeing him more.

Don’t think he’ll have an impact in the win column, though. :-\

I’m going to take a stab at our starting 5 (provided there’s NO TRANSFERS, and the recruits who committed to PSU):

Let’s assume you are 100% correct -how many B10 wins do you suppose that lineup will produce?
[quote="Skeeza, post:28, topic:1724"]Well, there's the understatement of the year !!! Would it be harder to beat the teams on this year's OOC schedule without Talor, Jeff, DJ, and Drew? ABSOLUTELY !!!

Honestly folks, a season with single digit wins really does nothing for a program. It moves the program backwardds even further than it would be as it is !!![/quote]

And a 10 win season featuring 9 wins over South Lancaster Tech and the Bellefonte School For The Blind is going to do a lot for us as a program? At least we get experience against a real schedule. I’ll take experience over false-confidence and ugly wins against the worst of the worst anyday, people who only pay attention to our W/L record be damned.

Experience against a real schedule? What would you call those 19 conference games beginning around Christmas? You don’t think that’s enough “experince” against a real schedule?

Let’s assume you are 100% correct -how many B10 wins do you suppose that lineup will produce?

Well I would need to see how the other teams stack up next season. I expect we won’t win more than 3 though, no matter who is coaching. Coach K with Bobby Knight, and the ghost of John Wooden would struggle with this lineup. That being said, it’ll be good for our young players to see a lot of time, and if we can bring in the right coach who could help these kids get BETTER as the season goes along we could really see the benefits in a few seasons.

It’s hard for me to expect a lineup that could contain four underclassmen and Tim Frazier could come close to finishing .500 in Big 10+2 play.

[quote="Skeeza, post:28, topic:1724"]Well, there's the understatement of the year !!! Would it be harder to beat the teams on this year's OOC schedule without Talor, Jeff, DJ, and Drew? ABSOLUTELY !!!

Honestly folks, a season with single digit wins really does nothing for a program. It moves the program backwardds even further than it would be as it is !!![/quote]

Experience against a real schedule? What would you call those 19 conference games beginning around Christmas? You don’t think that’s enough “experince” against a real schedule?

Sure, but why give yourself a cakewalk first 6 weeks? If you know you have little to no chance of post-season play, why not try to make as much of the season as possible? Making the most of it, to me, is challenging yourself as a team.

You get 9 road games plus a neutral game from the conference slate… I’d try for something like 4-5 other road/neutral games in the OOC, be it a tip-off tournament or holiday tourney. Yes you’re going to get beat up, but you learn very little from beating bad teams. You can learn a lot from losing to good ones.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1724”]Not that I necessarily want to rehash the discussion that went on when the schedule was originally released, but I thought it worth noting that the schedule really played out like many of us hoped when it was announced (unfortunately, the team hasn’t taken advantage of the leverage that this schedule provided them). Props to former DOBO Jon Perry for putting it together.

PSU currently has the #30th ranked schedule strength in the country (LINK Subscription required) and that will almost assuredly improve as we move through conference play.

The secret to putting together a good schedule for RPI purposes is finding those teams that will wind up doing well in their conference races. Ken Pomeroy has just run a simulation of all the conference races and has projected the champions of each of the conferences (Parts one and two of Pomeroy’s simulations). Here’s how Pomeroy projects PSU’s opponents will do in their conference races (not all teams will have a listing because Pomeroy only ranks teams that have projected to win the conference at least once in his 10,000 simulation runs).

Lehigh - 3rd in the Patriot
Saint Joseph’s - not ranked
Fairfield - 2nd in the MAAC
Central Connecticut - 5th in the NEC
Mississippi - 4th in the SEC
Furman - 3rd in the SoCon
Maryland - 4th in the ACC
Duquesne - 3rd in the A10
Mt St. Mary’s - 10th in the NEC
Virginia Tech - not ranked
Maine - 2nd in America East

That’s a bunch of teams near the top of their conferences. The only game on the schedule that probably can’t be justified would be Mt St Mary’s. Va Tech isn’t ranked but scheduling any Big Six school is OK. St Joe’s also isn’t ranked but there are plenty of reasons for having any Big Five Philly school on a home and home rotation.

We can revisit this at the end of the season when the conferences have sorted themselves out but, at least from Pomeroy’s projections, this looks to be playing out as an almost perfect schedule.[/quote]

Halfway through conference play this seems like as good a time as any to take a look at where our OOC foes stand in their conferences vs what Pomeroy had predicted for them:

Lehigh - 3rd in the Patriot - 3rd in the Patriot
Saint Joseph’s - not ranked - last in the A10
Fairfield - 2nd in the MAAC - 1st in the MAAC
Central Connecticut - 5th in the NEC - 2nd in the NEC
Mississippi - 4th in the SEC - 5th in the SEC West
Furman - 3rd in the SoCon - 3rd in the SoCon
Maryland - 4th in the ACC - 4th in the ACC
Duquesne - 3rd in the A10 - 1st in the A10
Mt St. Mary’s - 10th in the NEC - 5th in the NEC
Virginia Tech - not ranked - 4th in the ACC
Maine - 2nd in America East - 1st in America East

While we were certainly optimistic about our OOC SOS a month ago based on Pomeroy’s predictions, we should now be ecstatic with the way it’s actually playing out.

The most impressive thing that I noticed tonight about the schedule is that we currently don’t have a single game against a team with an RPI in the bottom 100. The worst team on the schedule (at least RPI wise) is Mt St Mary’s, and they check in with an RPI of 237 (with 345 teams, there are 108 teams with a worse RPI). Contrast that to 2008-2009 where 6 opponents finished with an RPI of 245 or worse.

Hopefully the light bulb has gone on in the basketball offices too. There’s no reason why we can’t have schedules like this in the future. I’d hate to see us fall back to 08-09 type schedules but with the inexperienced team we have coming in next year, I worry that we will.