OOC Opponents Run Down per CBS

I just checked out PSU’s OOC schedule with CBS’s conference preview section…

Robert Morris 3rd Northeast
Pennsylvania 4th Ivy
Gardner Webb 4th Big South
American 6th Patriot
Temple 7th Atlantic 10
UMBC 7th America East
Virginia Tech 8th ACC
Sacred Heart 8th Northeast
UNC Wim 10th Colonial
Virginia 11th ACC

I’m certainly hoping that these guys’ RPI turns out well for PSU because when viewing the schedule this way, Im not as excited about the “level of difficulty” as I was two weeks ago.

[quote=“mhenry41, post:1, topic:189”]I just checked out PSU’s OOC schedule with CBS’s conference preview section…

Pennsylvania 4th Ivy
American 6th Patriot
Temple 7th Atlantic 10
UMBC 7th America East
Virginia Tech 8th ACC
UNC Wim 10th Colonial
Virginia 11th ACC

I’m certainly hoping that these guys’ RPI turns out well for PSU because when viewing the schedule this way, Im not as excited about the “level of difficulty” as I was two weeks ago.[/quote]

It really doesn’t matter. Beat Temple and V Tech and those are “name” wins. Most of these teams should have RPIs around 100, which looks good for the RECORD VS. RPI TOP 100. It doesn’t matter how good they actually are, just how they appear. Perception is reality.

Perception is certainly the reality. I think it is CRUCIAL that PSU gets Miami (Fl) and South Carolina in the Charleston Classic. I doubt many teams picked to finish 4th or worse in peon conferences will be scoring high RPI #'s. I think winning 3 of 4 against Va Tech, Temple, Miami, and So. Carolina would be plenty enough. However, a skid of any kind in winning say 1 or maybe 2 of those big 4 games wouldnt go very far. Then again, if the BT is as “up” as it appears, it could be fine for PSU’s RPI. Time will certainly tell, and Im getting excited. ;D

[quote=“mhenry41, post:1, topic:189”]I just checked out PSU’s OOC schedule with CBS’s conference preview section…

Pennsylvania 4th Ivy
American 6th Patriot
Temple 7th Atlantic 10
UMBC 7th America East
Virginia Tech 8th ACC
UNC Wim 10th Colonial
Virginia 11th ACC

I’m certainly hoping that these guys’ RPI turns out well for PSU because when viewing the schedule this way, Im not as excited about the “level of difficulty” as I was two weeks ago.[/quote]

Obviously, the committe doesn’t think playing MSU(in top 6, but not picked yet), Purdue(10th), Michigan (14th), Minny(18th), IL(21st) and Wisky (36th)is good enough. So, why doesn’t PSU play the likes of GA Tech(21st). Seton Hall(45th), Siena(34th), Creighton(41st), Maryland(20th) or Louisville(27th)? As Villanova hasn’t been picked yet, so also in top 6, why can’t we play with some of these teams? Nova lost their best player in Cunningham. Who’s the leading player on Nova and MSU? We match up okay there.

Let’s hope the Charleston Classic falls right. IMO, if PSU goes .500 in conference(very possible), they could be out again.

There’s another factor here. If PSU plays weakish sked in OOC, will that prepare them for conference play in what might be best conference in country? Michigan is playing Creighton in the Old Spice Classic, then either Marquette or Xavier. Then they play BC, Utah, and freakin’ #1 Kansas! Then, during conference time, they’re playing UConn at Ann Arbor. Didn’t PSU finish ahead of them last year in the Big 10? I’d bet BC, Kansas, UConn, Utah, Xavier, Creighton and Marquette are ranked higher than any OOC game PSU has.

Pennsylvania 4th Ivy
American 6th Patriot
Temple 7th Atlantic 10
UMBC 7th America East
Virginia Tech 8th ACC
UNC Wim 10th Colonial
Virginia 11th ACC

To finish near the top of their conferences, they will have to have a decent number of wins. That means they will have a decent RPI. Much better to have a 3rd or 4th place finisher in a weaker conference than an 11th place finisher in a stronger conference. However, if teams like Virginal are smart enough to schedule a weaker non-conference schedule, they will also end up with decent RPIs–though nothing to write home about, and not one that will get them to the NCAA tournament.

If memory serves, it was likely about 5 games scheduled that cost us last year – the games against the bottom 25% in RPI (NJIT, etc). The rest of the schedule was good enough. There isn’t that offensive on our schedule this year. If we end up with the same record as last year, we make the big dance.

Barring a really bad non-conference run (something worse than 9-3), we should be fine this year going 9-9 in the Big Ten. There shouldn’t be any awful teams (Iowa will be bad but not as bad as Indiana last year) and the Big Ten should be a top 2 conference in the RPI. This years schedule is worlds better than last year. You don’t need to be playing top 20 teams, you just need to avoid the really bad teams in mix in a few challenging games. That’s exactly what we’ve done.

Let's hope the Charleston Classic falls right. IMO, if PSU goes .500 in conference(very possible), they could be out again.

Barring a really bad non-conference run (something worse than 9-3), we should be fine this year going 9-9 in the Big Ten. There shouldn’t be any awful teams (Iowa will be bad but not as bad as Indiana last year) and the Big Ten should be a top 2 conference in the RPI. This years schedule is worlds better than last year. You don’t need to be playing top 20 teams, you just need to avoid the really bad teams in mix in a few challenging games. That’s exactly what we’ve done.

But why not do what Beilein does? Didn’t Michigan miss the NCAA’s for 12 years? Baptism by fire. Wouldn’t you rather see UConn, BC, Kansas, Xavier? Michigan finished behind PSU last year, so really, they should have scheduled weaker. Yes, I know Sims and Harris are back, but IMO, playing tougher teams gets you ready for Big 10 play. Not sure PSU plays Michigan twice this year, but if they do and split, isn’t it nuts they’re not playing a similar OOC schedule? Who do you think will be more prepared for Big 10 play?

I’m looking at the reality of the situation, that being that we’re not going to get home and homes with UConn and Kansas, and would probably even struggle getting them with BC and/or Xavier. I’m sure that scheduling parameters are set for the team, and one of them is that we need ‘x’ number of home games. Based on that fact, we have to take a bunch of one and done games and get those home and homes with the Virginia Tech/St Joe’s/Temple type teams. I really hope that we reach a day where we can get a home and home with UConn or Duke, but that isn’t happening right now (regardless if you think that we should have more leverage than Michigan at this point).

American looks good after their season last year. Unfortunately they lost everyone and we get their JV team basically.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:189"]But why not do what Beilein does? Didn't Michigan miss the NCAA's for 12 years? Baptism by fire. Wouldn't you rather see UConn, BC, Kansas, Xavier? Michigan finished behind PSU last year, so really, they should have scheduled weaker. Yes, I know Sims and Harris are back, but IMO, playing tougher teams gets you ready for Big 10 play. Not sure PSU plays Michigan twice this year, but if they do and split, isn't it nuts they're not playing a similar OOC schedule? Who do you think will be more prepared for Big 10 play?[/quote]

I’m looking at the reality of the situation, that being that we’re not going to get home and homes with UConn and Kansas, and would probably even struggle getting them with BC and/or Xavier. I’m sure that scheduling parameters are set for the team, and one of them is that we need ‘x’ number of home games. Based on that fact, we have to take a bunch of one and done games and get those home and homes with the Virginia Tech/St Joe’s/Temple type teams. I really hope that we reach a day where we can get a home and home with UConn or Duke, but that isn’t happening right now (regardless if you think that we should have more leverage than Michigan at this point).

It’s a moot point, but please don’t tell me Michigan gets them due to their legacy. Beilein’s not afraid to lose. And maybe you don’t get a home and home to start. Tougher scheduling leads to better recruits, and a tougher team more prepared for the rigors of conference play. Isn’t that the goal, to be better prepared for the end run?

What Beilein gets because of Michigan’s legacy is good recruits. At its nadir, Michigan signed kids who were rated far ahead of any kid we ever signed. They were either overrated or the environment at Michigan (coaching, attitude, team chemistry, etc.) prevented them from being any good as a group.

With more talented kids, you can take on better schedules with confidence.

ED has a lot of the Bruce Parkhill scheduling philosophy, but he also took some vastly overmatched teams to places like Pittsburgh where they got absolutely crushed and probably more than a little demoralized.

Last year was a screw-up, this year is mathematically (RPI) a vast improvement, I am sure that if improvement continues we will see more marquee names on the schedule. But it is not as simple as “getting ready for the Big 10”, sometimes that is taking lambs to slaughter.