OOC Grades

How would you grade Penn State’s performance after the OOC schedule?

I’d give them a C. I can live with the losses to Temple and VT, the 2 losses in Charleston really hurt. The 8-4 record is not bad, what is bad is the fact that those 2 losses kept the OOC SOS near the absolute bottom of D1

D+. The win over UVA keeps this from being a D or an F. We lost every close game we played, and almost choked away a lead against UVA. We lost 2 games we needed to win, and we struggled to beat teams like American, Sacred Heart, and Davidson. We dug ourselves a big hole if we even want to make the NIT.

I dont think we struggled against American. For the last 5-7min we had guys like Steve Kirkpatrick and CO out on the floor against American’s starters. That game was well in hand by 3mins into the 2nd half. Davidson is a well coached team that Penn State was playing as the 3rd game in the three days that had a 10AM tip, I think you play that game later in the day and it isn’t an issue.

I’m not saying it’s perfect but I think it’s better than a D+.

I’m with you NGameday. We have to remember that we would probably be 11-1 right now if we made a couple more shots in each of the games we lost. In fact, if we hadn’t shot so poorly from the foul line in the VATECH game, we would have won that one too.

I think I’d give us a C+.

We’ll be tough at home this year. We’ll get some big wins at home and steal one or two big wins on the road.

At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. Can’t play the what if game.

End of NC portion of the schedule PSU has an RPI of over 200 and a SOS over 300.

I have to lean towards D (below average).

PSU will need a huge conference slate to even think about NCAAs.

Ed has been around long enough where I think we can say that the patterns we see reflect something about his coaching. One of the troubling points is that we always seem to have a disappointing OOC, with at least one or two bad losses. On the flip side, his teams almost always show drastic improvement through the season and end up pulling off some really big wins that are unexpected in the Big Ten schedule. So while the nonconference record is underwhelming (I’d say C-… road win against UVa pulls it up for me), I’m still pretty optimistic that this team can have a good Big Ten run.

Not sure I agree with the “C” grade(more like D), but I do agree that the team showed dramatic improvement last year. It’s what you like to see, esp when you compare it to Minny last year, who I thought collapsed. They stumbled badly in conference, losing their last game at home to Michigan. Unfortunately, the powers that be seem to put a lot onto the OOC, so the deck is stacked against PSU again. If Minny and PSU end up with the same conference record, the Minny win over Butler will probably put them ahead of PSU, like their victory over Louisville did last year.

I am cautiously optimistic on the Big 10 season, thinking the team can really play with anybody in conference. It comes down to closing the deal at crunch time. Re the Minny game, whoever scores more at the foul line wins it, IMO. I think this is a good predictor for the whole season. I’d also like to see us full court press a bunch, due to our speed. I expect Edwards to start.

[quote=“Still in State College, post:5, topic:553”]At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. Can’t play the what if game.

End of NC portion of the schedule PSU has an RPI of over 200 and a SOS over 300.

PSU will need a huge conference slate to even think about NCAAs.[/quote]

I think bringing up RPI and SOS is a little unfair to the grading. The team can’t play everybody elses games for them, we do need a good conference slate to get to the NCAAs but we’re a very long way from the RPI being the reason we dont get in.

I was just using it as a reference. The team is 8-4 with a SOS over 300. That has to mean something when grading this teams performance through the OOC games. No wins against a top 100 RPI and 1 loss to a team over 200.

The schedule was soft. 2 tournament losses were unacceptable with the opponents we had. Our signature win was against a bottom dwelling acc team.
Still, though, this is a pretty good team and will improve. I think it is a ready and willing NIT team. That is, of course, good enough for many on this site.
I was hoping for more, but I will have to wait another year. So be it. Let’s just hope for good improvement underneath and higher percentages from deep and the charity stripe.
That and Bill Edwards rocks…reminds me of Travis Parker. Not Travis Barker…he’s the drummer for Blink 182. Or Ma Barker for that matter.
I give it a “C”.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Rokk might have taken a writing class? :smiley:

[quote=“oldtownclub, post:10, topic:553”]The schedule was soft. 2 tournament losses were unacceptable with the opponents we had. Our signature win was against a bottom dwelling acc team.
Still, though, this is a pretty good team and will improve. I think it is a ready and willing NIT team. That is, of course, good enough for many on this site.
I was hoping for more, but I will have to wait another year. So be it. Let’s just hope for good improvement underneath and higher percentages from deep and the charity stripe.
That and Bill Edwards rocks…reminds me of Travis Parker. Not Travis Barker…he’s the drummer for Blink 182. Or Ma Barker for that matter.
I give it a “C”.[/quote]

I dont think that the intial schedule was soft, you can’t really blame people for getting teams we were excited about and then having it fall through. And I’ll say it until the season is over, the NIT isn’t a bad thing, two years ago you would have killed for any postseason and now that we’ve had sucess we’re supposed to jump up to the next level after losing maybe two of the best players we’ve had in a long time. I want it as much as the next guy, but it was going to take a lot of work…whch we can still do…but its not like we’re an NCAA team that takes the NIT on a down year…we’re a program that is building and anything that is a postseason is a step in the right direction.

The joke being that I am really some guy who used to call himself “Rokk”, and now is back on the site with a different name.
You got me. Jeez, oh I get it. He must have been argumentative, said some negative stuff, and the regulars disagreed with him, did not care for his posts.
I’ve read this site for years and I have seen his posts and they were always unique and tough to read. Think what you want to. I’m not the former Rokk, just a fan.
Good points NGameday, perhaps I should be more glass is half full…or wasn’t Rokk capable of that?
Giggity!Giggity!

[quote=“oldtownclub, post:13, topic:553”]The joke being that I am really some guy who used to call himself “Rokk”, and now is back on the site with a different name.
You got me. Jeez, oh I get it. He must have been argumentative, said some negative stuff, and the regulars disagreed with him, did not care for his posts.
I’ve read this site for years and I have seen his posts and they were always unique and tough to read. Think what you want to. I’m not the former Rokk, just a fan.
Good points NGameday, perhaps I should be more glass is half full…or wasn’t Rokk capable of that?
Giggity!Giggity![/quote]
lol…
It isn’t so much half full as it is that we’re drinking from a different sized cup than say…MSU…we just havent been as good so our level of success is measured differently than other people.so it’s not that I don’t agree with u on the final goal.I just don’t want a NIT berth two years straight as an epic fail.

[quote="Still in State College, post:5, topic:553"]At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. Can't play the what if game.

PSU will need a huge conference slate to even think about NCAAs.[/quote]

I think bringing up RPI and SOS is a little unfair to the grading. The team can’t play everybody elses games for them, we do need a good conference slate to get to the NCAAs but we’re a very long way from the RPI being the reason we dont get in.

Bringing up the SOS is completely fair, for one reason. The program has been creating schedules in which they rely on advancing in Thanksgiving tournaments in order to have anything resembling a strong schedule. Actually - forget a strong schedule - they are relying on the tournaments to have anything resembling a D1 OOC schedule. Now, they have not been able to do that for 2 (3?) years in a row and the result has been an embarrassing SOS rating for the OOC. I know they added VT this year, but really that is a half-hearted attempt at an upgrade. There is really not a great excuse for Penn State to have an OOC schedule ranked in the 300s for 2 straight years. Pitt and Villanova could be added to the schedule, probably pretty easily with a little planning. Even if Penn State had to make 2 trips for every game at the BJC, I think that 1 game at the BJC would draw more interest than the last 2 entire OOC home schedules combined. Penn State is trying to get a marginally better OOC SOS without giving up a single home game, by relying on Thanksgiving tournaments. It hasn’t worked for 3 straight years, and it isn’t serving the program well. As long as they are going to lean on tournaments to save their OOC RPI and SOS, their performance in those tournaments is going to carry a lot of weight in judging the OOC performance.

[quote=“oldtownclub, post:13, topic:553”]The joke being that I am really some guy who used to call himself “Rokk”, and now is back on the site with a different name.
I’ve read this site for years and I have seen his posts and they were always unique and tough to read. Think what you want to. I’m not the former Rokk, just a fan.[/quote]

Welcome. :slight_smile:

[quote=“oldtownclub, post:10, topic:553”]The schedule was soft. 2 tournament losses were unacceptable with the opponents we had. Our signature win was against a bottom dwelling acc team.
I give it a “C”.[/quote]

This is definitely not Rokk, the writing/tone are not the same at all. The post does not include any use of the word “so” with more than 25 o’s