PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

One year too late

Well, at this point, it is undeniable that a switch has been flipped and we are finally getting the production on the floor befitting the talent that this senior class was supposed to be bringing to University Park when the players were recruited and committed several years ago. Oh, yes, some will argue we are now seeing MORE production than what was expected. Regardless, the turn-around within the last few weeks can no longer be viewed as a fluke. This team is not a basket here or bounce there from competing in the Big Ten. This team is THAT close to beating one top 25 team after another, night after night and securing a spot themselves in the Top 25. The problem is that this is what we should have gotten LAST year. The improvement and development between their sophomore and junior years was simply not enough. This team should have been on the Bubble as Juniors. Obviously, there is alot of basketball left to play and if they continue as they have, winning out at home should now be expected and stealing a couple on the road is reasonable. Doing that, plus winning a couple in the Big Ten Tournament and we will have a shot. Unfortunately, this team should have been a “lock” going into this year for the Big Dance, had things turned out the way they should have a couple of years ago…

Good point Liebs.
Last year just did not “work.” Chemistry. Only the coaches/players know for sure.
This year it is “working” in the BigTen101010 season…BUT did NOT work in the preseason…

There is still a long to go in the season…let us see which team shows up!!

Liebs,

Point taken…but last year the team was searching for an identity and a vocal leader after the departure of Jamelle Cornley. No one, outside of maybe Talor Battle, stepped up. This year, the three seniors in the frontcourt have collectively stepped up and given this team a strong identity, not only physically in games, but psychologically from game to game.

As for last year, spilt milk as far as I’m concerned. You can go get a straw and try to sip on it and contemplate how the milk ended up on the floor and all it’s ramifications or you can do like I do and just wipe it clean and start over with a clean floor, as these kids have done in the 2011 Big Ten campaign so far.

If the team had the same mentality as your post, they would think about what got away from them against Purdue and Ohio State (and Maine) instead of moving on to the great opportunities that lie ahead.

What’s past is past. Don’t dwell on it. Learn from it and move on.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:1807”]Liebs,

Point taken…but last year the team was searching for an identity and a vocal leader after the departure of Jamelle Cornley. No one, outside of maybe Talor Battle, stepped up. This year, the three seniors in the frontcourt have collectively stepped up and given this team a strong identity, not only physically in games, but psychologically from game to game.

As for last year, spilt milk as far as I’m concerned. You can go get a straw and try to sip on it and contemplate how the milk ended up on the floor and all it’s ramifications or you can do like I do and just wipe it clean and start over with a clean floor, as these kids have done in the 2011 Big Ten campaign so far.

If the team had the same mentality as your post, they would think about what got away from them against Purdue and Ohio State (and Maine) instead of moving on to the great opportunities that lie ahead.

What’s past is past. Don’t dwell on it. Learn from it and move on. [/quote]

I think this point is a little too over simplified!! Where was all this senior leadership from the “other guys” during our very lack luster non conference games??

So…when we played well the players are psychologically strong…and when we don’t play well the players are NOT psychologically strong.
I will be watching future games for the psychologically strong factor. :wink: I have a feeling PSU is not going to play well in all future games this season.

Year 8 of Ed with 4 senior starting we should be able to compete with most if not all b10 teams. Problem is it might be to little to late. 10-8 (3-4) this veteran group has some heavy lifting to do if they want to go dancing this year. With little to no bench help I just have this gut feeling some of these guys are going to start burning out soon.

The simple answer? Why was there no senior leadership last year? A: because there were no seniors.

These are still kids. They grow and mature. It happens.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:1807"]Liebs,

What’s past is past. Don’t dwell on it. Learn from it and move on.[/quote]

I think this point is a little too over simplified!! Where was all this senior leadership from the “other guys” during our very lack luster non conference games??

So…when we played well the players are psychologically strong…and when we don’t play well the players are NOT psychologically strong.
I will be watching future games for the psychologically strong factor. :wink: I have a feeling PSU is not going to play well in all future games this season.

Another good point about the lack of leadership shown in OOC games.

Maybe, just maybe it took the Maine game to finally get these seniors to wake up and realize that this was indeed their last chance to make a big splash in their basketball (not just college basketball) careers. The light went on after that Maine game and finally these guys all woke up and stepped up. Yes, there was a loss at Michigan (who took Kansas to OT at home) and home vs Purdue, but for the most part they have finally got it clicking.

Again, dwell on the OOC or 2010 if you want, but these kids are standing here at 10:55am on Thursday, January 20th with a real chance to make a run at making the Dance. After seeing the schedule and staring down the first seven games of this Big Ten season, I really thought it would be just a pipe dream. But it’s real and we need to start focusing on each coming game now.

As for burning out…I don’t know…the way PSU manages the games, they seem to conserve their energy quite well within games. This will hopefully lead to conserving energy from game to game. If it were a team full of underclassmen, I might worry a little more about that. But this is a senior laden team that has played through many a Big Ten season together.

I am NOT belittening the kids in ANY WAY! They have played 7 good BigTen101010 basketball games (6 VERY good.) This was after playing poorly in nonconference and VERY poorly last year.

WHY…I do not think there is any way for us fans to know the real reasons.

MY point was…posters should NOT jump to conclusions about reasons why or being psychologically strong or not. Guys, we are talking about basketball games???

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting how close we were last year. What was it…something like 10 losses by 7 or less points? They really weren’t THAT far away.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:1807”]I am NOT belittening the kids in ANY WAY! They have played 7 good BigTen101010 basketball games (6 VERY good.) This was after playing poorly in nonconference and VERY poorly last year.

WHY…I do not think there is any way for us fans to know the real reasons.

MY point was…posters should NOT jump to conclusions about reasons why or being psychologically strong or not. Guys, we are talking about basketball games???[/quote]

I see your point. I’m sorry, but I’m a coach and deal with the psychology of the games on a daily basis. I’ve won a lot of games and championships based solely on having my guys psychologically in better shape than the other team that might have been the better team on paper. I deal with this all the time and even from a distance can pinpoint teams that have it and teams that lack it. PSU right now has it…whatever “it” may be. Sometimes you can’t teach it or explain it, but when it happens you know you’ve got it and PSU has it.

And if I were one of the “Knights of Nee” I’d be killing myself right now ;D

[quote="Liebs1, post:1, topic:1807"]Well, at this point, it is undeniable that a switch has been flipped and we are finally getting the production on the floor befitting the talent that this senior class was supposed to be bringing to University Park when the players were recruited and committed several years ago. Oh, yes, some will argue we are now seeing MORE production than what was expected. Regardless, the turn-around within the last few weeks can no longer be viewed as a fluke. This team is not a basket here or bounce there from [i]competing[/i] in the Big Ten. This team is THAT close to [i]beating[/i] one top 25 team after another, night after night and securing a spot themselves in the Top 25. The problem is that this is what we should have gotten LAST year. The improvement and development between their sophomore and junior years was simply not enough. This team should have been on the Bubble as Juniors. Obviously, there is alot of basketball left to play and if they continue as they have, winning out at home should now be expected and stealing a couple on the road is reasonable. Doing that, plus winning a couple in the Big Ten Tournament and we will have a shot. Unfortunately, this team should have been a "lock" going into this year for the Big Dance, had things turned out the way they should have a couple of years ago....[i][/i][/quote]

The simple answer? Why was there no senior leadership last year? A: because there were no seniors.

These are still kids. They grow and mature. It happens.

My point was not about senior leadership; I do not even mention that concept in my post. My point was about the amount of skill development between sophomore and junior year AND the fact that if this had occurred (as it should have) the season we are now having would have been last year and next year would have been a lock for the NCAA’s. Clearly, the team did not mature as was expected between 2009 and 2010. Not taking anything away from the loss of Cornley, but for all intents and purposes, this is the same team. Call it coaching, or wheatever the reason.

Now I understand your point…though you started out with a post that sounded like you wanted to pull and tug and pull and tug again at what happened last year, which is so far gone in my rearview mirror.

Yes…had the team started winning some of those close games and Brooks/DJ/Jones would have come to the forefront a year ago, then wins against Ole Miss, Va Tech, Maryland and certainly Maine, could have been foregone conclusions. Right now if PSU had to play those games again, I’d say they would go 3-1 or at least 2-2, which would have put us in the Last Four In category as we speak.