PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

One Great Win

A wonderful thing about sports fandom is the “short memory condition.” But I can’t remember a Penn State team at our current level dominating a legitimate Big 10 team the way the fellows did last night. A lot of scrappy and hearty upsets during end-to-end battles, but nothing like last night.

I’ll be fine to be disproved! But what an amazing performance.

Without Lewis and Woodyard, no less.

Awesome night. We came to play, and we simply just wanted it more. Great tempo, great play. I was worried about 0-18 possibly, but it looks like we might get to 5 or 6 wins. That would be a huge achievement for a group that has this much inexperience.

Amen!

One great win indeed! ATTITUDE BABY! IF YOU’RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS! :smiley:

[quote=“eric17, post:2, topic:2956”]Without Lewis and Woodyard, no less.[/quote]What was the deal with Cam and Trey? Sorry was at the game and didn’t get a chance to hear. I’m assuming Cam was hurt but not Trey.

[quote="eric17, post:2, topic:2956"]Without Lewis and Woodyard, no less.[/quote]What was the deal with Cam and Trey? Sorry was at the game and didn't get a chance to hear. I'm assuming Cam was hurt but not Trey.

Cam had a hamstring problem, not sure what the deal was with Trey, ankle issue again maybe?

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:2956”]A wonderful thing about sports fandom is the “short memory condition.” But I can’t remember a Penn State team at our current level dominating a legitimate Big 10 team the way the fellows did last night. A lot of scrappy and hearty upsets during end-to-end battles, but nothing like last night.

I’ll be fine to be disproved! But what an amazing performance.[/quote]

Agreed. That was a lot of fun.

Short memory condition is right.
Before last night: "I can’t believe Chambers is giving Billy the green light and letting him shoot. It’s coach’s fault for trying to instill confidence in him."
After last night: “What an amazing job Chambers has done building up Oliver’s confidence!”

[quote="eric17, post:2, topic:2956"]Without Lewis and Woodyard, no less.[/quote]What was the deal with Cam and Trey? Sorry was at the game and didn't get a chance to hear. I'm assuming Cam was hurt but not Trey.

Cam had a hamstring problem, not sure what the deal was with Trey, ankle issue again maybe?

I was thinking that with Trey until i saw him come in during the final few mins. The walk on played pretty darn hard and smart last night as well ;D

PSU by 20 over Purdue?? In the words of the Lovely Lilly Von Schtuppe: “It’s twue, it’s twue, it’s twue it’s twue!!”

You all are going to think I’m crazy, or lying, but I honestly talked to Dick Vitale on the phone briefly this morning (it’s a long story) and he said he was shocked at the outcome of the game last night, and I told I was too! He added that is a very good win for Chambers to start the program. He knows about Frazier, and said he is really stepping into Battle’s shoes nicely.

It’s not often that one publically confesses their masochist tendencies.

Insider alert!

Jeez, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.

:smiley:

Chambers is always talking about guys “buying into his system” and it showed last night!!! The swagger on the bench, the energy, diving for loose balls, and DESTROYING PURDUE ON THE GLASS!! Man was that fun to witness!! Also really thought the coaching staff came out with an incredible defensive game plan. They completely ran hummel and smith off the ball in the first half and forced the rest of the team to make open jumpers. An all around beautiful basketball game!!! Was especially funny listening to Jeradi after the game saying “I honestly didn’t think they could play that well”!! ATTITUDE!!!

I wasn’t at the game as I’m in my mid-Pacific office for the Winter. But I was able to listen to the game on my Droid. Here are a couple things Steve and Dick discussed last night:

1. Apparently Pat instituted a Boot Camp mentality after the losses at UM and NW. His watchword to Steve and Dick was something to the effect that “the country club is over.”

2. Steve said Cam pulled a hammy in practice.

3. Steve also said Nick Collelo played himself into the rotation at practice this week. Knowing Pat’s MO, I’ll bet that means Nick stepped it up on defense. Steve and Dick have also said that Trey was still finding himself on defense and that would limit his playing time this year. Frankly, I’m glad to see Nick getting some PT because I think he has a really good looking shot. (One of the assistant coaches mentioned after one of the December games that Nick was the best shooter on the team).

At the start of the broadcast, Steve and Dick were preparing the listening audience for a trouncing and they were both very pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:16, topic:2956”]I wasn’t at the game as I’m in my mid-Pacific office for the Winter. But I was able to listen to the game on my Droid. Here are a couple things Steve and Dick discussed last night:

1. Apparently Pat instituted a Boot Camp mentality after the losses at UM and NW. His watchword to Steve and Dick was something to the effect that “the country club is over.”

2. Steve said Cam pulled a hammy in practice.

3. Steve also said Nick Collelo played himself into the rotation at practice this week. Knowing Pat’s MO, I’ll bet that means Nick stepped it up on defense. Steve and Dick have also said that Trey was still finding himself on defense and that would limit his playing time this year. Frankly, I’m glad to see Nick getting some PT because I think he has a really good looking shot. (One of the assistant coaches mentioned after one of the December games that Nick was the best shooter on the team).

At the start of the broadcast, Steve and Dick were preparing the listening audience for a trouncing and they were both very pleasantly surprised at the outcome.[/quote]

Well, they were right about that.

Hopefully all the positivity lasts on here… but it won’t… The team needs more of this support and not the ‘know it all’ stuff people always post on here

Breakthrough: Penn State beats Purdue

Penn State Out-Purdues Purdue, 65-45

...I honestly talked to Dick Vitale on the phone briefly this morning...

Jeez, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.

:smiley:

Wasn’t as bad as you would imagine. He wasn’t “on” since there were no lights, cameras or microphones, but he was still Dickie V.

I just happened to have a conection and I was called in reference to a donation for the charity I work for. Doesn’t mean we couldn’t talk hoops though!