PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

ON to WISCONSIN

Wisconsin has lost only four games since the month of November:

at Illinois
at Michigan State
at Purdue
at Penn State ;D

As you see, they are all "at"s

On the other hand, PSU is 6-2 in their last eight Big Ten games when Jeff Brooks has started and finished the game…including wins at home over Illinois, MSU, Wisconsin and Minnesota…while their only losses during that stretch at Ohio State (by 3) and at Purdue (by 1 >:()

I truly feel with the four seniors and Timmy healthy and out of foul trouble that PSU is the fourth best team in the Big Ten. They’ve pretty much proven that point with their play this season.

Add to the fact that ED’s teams seem to be good at pulling off road shockers every now and then. Should have been Purdue this year (bad out-of-bounds call by ref), came close at Wisconsin last year (questionable travel call on Ott), Michigan State two years ago, Illinois three years ago and in 2006.

Now on to the unthinkable…or is it?

The basketball gods owe us a win at the Kohl Center. And then they owe us a win at home against OSU.

I see no reason why they can’t win. Wisconsin did not look like a far better team when they last played.

But they looked damn impressive in their win over OSU. We’ll have to play very near the perfect game to come out of Kohl with a win. Hopefully the 3’s are with us.

I like to think of it as needing the “degree of DeChellis.”

[quote="zac1397, post:3, topic:1955"]I see no reason why they can't win. Wisconsin did not look like a far better team when they last played.[/quote] But they looked damn impressive in their win over OSU. We'll have to play very near the perfect game to come out of Kohl with a win. Hopefully the 3's are with us.

And who’s to say that PSU didn’t look darn impressive in their near win AT Ohio State. Because of Battle and Brooks, PSU has a punchers chance in every game they lace em up in. Again, in the last eight Big Ten games in which Brooks has started and finished, PSU has either won the game or has been tied with their opponent in the last possession of the game. Do not underestimate that fact.

[quote="zac1397, post:3, topic:1955"]I see no reason why they can't win. Wisconsin did not look like a far better team when they last played.[/quote] But they looked damn impressive in their win over OSU. We'll have to play very near the perfect game to come out of Kohl with a win. Hopefully the 3's are with us.

And who’s to say that PSU didn’t look darn impressive in their near win AT Ohio State. Because of Battle and Brooks, PSU has a punchers chance in every game they lace em up in. Again, in the last eight Big Ten games in which Brooks has started and finished, PSU has either won the game or has been tied with their opponent in the last possession of the game. Do not underestimate that fact.

NI, not underestimating. Was watching a Wisconsin game a couple of weeks back and they flashed a message on the ribbon board on the scorer’s table something to the effect. “UW 143-11 all time at the Kohl Center” I am sure the opposing team saw it, and I am sure that mental image made them say “Damn we are going to lose”. And lose they did.

I think we’re good enough to play with any team in the country on any given night. But playing with and beating are two different things to me.

Can we do it? Yes. Will we? That’s why we’re playing the game. I don’t think Wisconsin is going to be taking us very lightly, but they are beatable, too… and we need it more than they do. We need to want it more than them and play efficient basketball.

We’re competitive with every team in the league this year. On any given night, we can beat any team in the league.

And in a mea culpa note, after our loss to Maine, I thought Ed was done. Even I, who had been a huge Ed supporter over the years, thought he had lost the team and thought it was time for him to go. I never thought they’d be 7 - 7 in the league at this point in time.

NI, not underestimating. Was watching a Wisconsin game a couple of weeks back and they flashed a message on the ribbon board on the scorer’s table something to the effect. “UW 143-11 all time at the Kohl Center” I am sure the opposing team saw it, and I am sure that mental image made them say “Damn we are going to lose”. And lose they did.

And Talor Battle doesn’t give two sh–s about what happened there in the past. Or maybe he does, remembering that a lesser PSU team was up by 8 with under 2:00 to go there last year. So maybe there is something to the psychological advantage of that place. Or maybe the refs run scared of the scowl-faced Bo Ryan. Or maybe they open the barn doors all across Wisconsin at that moment and pump in those sweet smells that only a Wisconsin boy can love. Who knows. All I know is that PSU is 1-0 vs Wisconsin this season.

The Big Ten is scared of Talor Battle…he strikes incredible fear into all of his opponents. If you don’t believe it go onto any of the other boards or listen to any opposing player. We have Talor, they don’t. OK they have “Taylor” :slight_smile:

I just hope the Teds and Eds (and Tims >:() let the boys in blue play a little this time around and make the correct calls. BTW…both Ted Valentine and Ed Hightower were on the game in Madison last year. PSU never had a chance.