PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Old Old Penn State basketball video

Yes I know 1973 isn’t old, but in terms of what we’ve had video wise, this might be as old as we’ve run across.
Providence College vs Penn State - March 15, 1973

PSU Hoops - #6 Illinois @ Penn State 2000-01 Highlights

#23 Temple @ Penn State 12/9/00

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:1996”]Yes I know 1973 isn’t old, but in terms of what we’ve had video wise, this might be as old as we’ve run across.
Providence College vs Penn State - March 15, 1973[/quote]

Wow, people sure did move a lot slower in those olden-days !!! ;D

Check out that 3-pt line. It looks WAY downtown as compared to today’s line.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:1996”]Yes I know 1973 isn’t old, but in terms of what we’ve had video wise, this might be as old as we’ve run across.
Providence College vs Penn State - March 15, 1973[/quote]

That’s Penn not Penn State.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1996"]Yes I know 1973 isn't old, but in terms of what we've had video wise, this might be as old as we've run across. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqgmQNjo4g#ws]Providence College vs Penn State - March 15, 1973[/url][/quote]

That’s Penn not Penn State.

Well…whoever it is moves slow

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1996"]Yes I know 1973 isn't old, but in terms of what we've had video wise, this might be as old as we've run across. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqgmQNjo4g#ws]Providence College vs Penn State - March 15, 1973[/url][/quote]

That’s not a college three point line. The game was played in the Charlotte Coliseum at the sometime home of the ABA Carolina Cougars which had a three point line to distinguish it from the NBA who didn’t introduce the line until 1979. The NCAA didn’t use it until 1986.

That’s not a college three point line. The game was played in the Charlotte Coliseum at the sometime home of the ABA Carolina Cougars which had a three point line to distinguish it from the NBA who didn’t introduce the line until 1979. The NCAA didn’t use it until 1986.

And didn’t the original NCAA three-point line actually bisect through the free-throw area, as opposed to laying tangent to the top of the free-throw area (which is how the ‘old’ three point line was).

And didn’t the original NCAA three-point line actually bisect through the free-throw area, as opposed to laying tangent to the top of the free-throw area (which is how the ‘old’ three point line was).

No. The original NCAA line was 19’9", the same as the current women’s line.

Larry-

Care to explain this then?

UNC vs. GA Tech 01-29-1983 Part 4

Larry-

Care to explain this then?

UNC vs. GA Tech 01-29-1983 Part 4

I would be glad to.

That’s not the NCAA line. That’s an experimental line used by the ACC before the NCAA instituted the three point line.

From the Official ACC site.

[i]November 26, 1982

Clemson’s Milan Belich hits the first 3-point shot in ACC history and he does it at a dramatic moment - a 3-pointer at the buzzer that forces overtime against Texas A&M in the first round of the Great Alaskan Shootout. The ACC operates that season under experimental rules, including a 3-point line and a shot clock. The rules can be used by mutual consent in non-conference games and Texas A&M agrees to use them in the opener for both teams - a decision that allows Clemson to pull out an 82-79 victory in double overtime. It would be another four years before the NCAA adopts a 3-point shot for all games. [/i]

So if I had said ‘some three point lines’ as opposed to ‘NCAA three point line’, you’d let me off the hook?

I’d have probably asked you what you mean by “some”. :wink:

I now see where your widespread popularity comes from.

Let me ask you this. Suppose I asked you if the NCAA has a no charge arc painted under the basket. What would your answer be?

I’m betting you would say that they don’t.

Then if I came back and said that you were wrong because there was an experimental arc in the Great Alaska Shootout (and select other early season tournaments) this year (see video), you wouldn’t cry foul? I think you would.

2010 GREAT ALASKA SHOOTOUT HIGHLIGHTS

The Great Alaska Shootout experimental arc is no different than the ACC experimental three point line. Neither of them qualify as official NCAA lines.

BTW - there was a experimental three point line once back in the 40s too. Columbia and Fordham used it for one game in 1945. It was at 21 feet so even if we include experimental three point lines, the first one didn’t intersect the foul circle. ;D

And going even beyond that, the Southern Conference was the first to experiment with a three point line. Theirs was at 21 feet and they started in the 1980-81 season.

FTR - the Big Ten also started experimenting with an early three point line during the 82-82 season (the same as the ACCs). However, the Big Ten’s line was at the current 19’9" not the 17’9" line that the ACC used.

In fact the only major conference to use a line shorter than the 19’9" that touches the top of the foul circle was the ACC in that one season.

And in 2031, people will look at 2011 PSU basketball videos and comment on how small the players look, how slow they look, how odd the tattoos look, and how silly they look in pants that go down below their knees.

That’s one change that I’m certainly not opposed to. I cringe while watching old games on ESPN Classic. ;D

In 20 years, everything will have probably cycled back. Who’s that kid I saw rockin the high fade like MC Hammer?

Some black dude for Wisconsin, due to his current haircut, looks frighteningly like Arsineo Hall.

That’s the kid! Rob Wilson.

About the videos, man that 2000-01 team was fun! Look at 'em push the ball in that Temple video. The PSU Basketball Story piece with the dopey church-choir crapola and all the hyper-styled production doesn’t do that Illinois game justice. That was one of the two best games I’ve ever seen in State College. Right there with Indiana '93. That '01 team had nuts.