PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Ohio State Game and the Crowd

So, let’s assume we take care of business between now and then, by winning the remaining home games and stealing at least one on the road AND let’s assume Ohio State takes care of their business coming in as an undefeated #1 ranked team. I say all bets are off as to whether we have a packed house or a mediocre showing at the gate.

On the downside, we have a basketball fan base that is pretty unpredictable when it comes to game attendance, mixed with a week night game starting at 9:00 pm, a student body that apparently would rather sit in the Pattee stacks than trudge out past the IM building in the middle of winter, and a University that turns football games into a rock concert atmosphere, but can’t figure it out across the street.

On the upside, we would have the potential to make history by knocking off the undefeated #1 OSU, stage a proper sendoff to Penn State’s all-time best player, and show this team the kind of support that it deserves as it tries to lock up its NCAA bid. With that said, will it be SRO or black curtains in the upper ends?

quite the hypothetical eh? If we are in a position to dance and the #1 team comes to play on senior night… there is no question the place will be packed. None whatsoever.

In the past PSU has had good weeknight turnouts for top ranked teams even when PSU itself had abysmal records:
-2007 Ohio State was ranked #2 and came to the BJC for an ESPN-televised Wednesday night game. Drew 10,027 and came within a Mike Walker 3 at the buzzer of beating the Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daquaen Cook bunch.
-2005 a Wednesday night game against #1 Illinois (the Deron Williams-Dee Brown-Luther Head-team). 10,966 in attendance for a 20-point rout.

If OSU is ranked in the top-3 and Penn State remains in the top-half of the big 10 and on the ncaa bubble, it could really be a memorable atmosphere, but ALOT of basketball to be played before that. Hope the players aren’t looking as far ahead as we are, but I’m going as well so hopefully they can draw a crowd similar to the 2009 Illinois game. The bandwagon definitely has fewer open seats after Saturday.

I’m already considering making the trip up from DC after work if the situation warrants. I was at PSU through 08 and lived in State College for a year after…basically never missing a PSU basketball home game while out there. I’d love to be there to give Battle and the rest of the seniors a proper sendoff. Hopefully, we’re in position to dance and I can make it.

Illinois, on a Thursday night in March…13,000+ with over 5,500 student tickets sold. I’d be willing to bet anything that it’s a sellout with a student gate of >6000

What makes the hypothetical so head-scratching is that it really isn’t much of a hypothetical at all…

I hope you’re right re: the crowd.

The biggest “X” factor = WEATHER!!!

I’ll be in Jamaica. I hope that the game gets picked up by ESPN, but right now its listed as BTN.

We have plenty of big games before tO$U. I would rather take them one step at a time.

Do students still go to Pattee stacks?? ???

quite the hypothetical eh? If we are in a position to dance and the #1 team comes to play on senior night... there is no question the place will be packed. None whatsoever.

What makes the hypothetical so head-scratching is that it really isn’t much of a hypothetical at all…

I hope you’re right re: the crowd.

I’d say you’re getting ahead of yourself a bit, and that it won’t really be an issue if all those things were to line up the way you say. But if you’re so sure, I’d make sure you throw some money down on all of this. :wink:

Ha! Good one, Craftsy. ;D

Ohio State won’t be undefeated. They almost lost to us at home and nearly lost at NW the other night, they’ll lose one of their next few games, imo.

Although, if we are talking hypotheticals, what if we are ranked (probably in the 22-25 range) and #1 OSU comes to town? I realize the game will be on the BTN, but is there any chance that we get college gameday or anyone to visit the BJC? I’m thinking that there is absolutely no chance, but figured that I would throw that out there.

The game is during the week. College Gameday is on Saturdays. And even so, their sites are set in advance.

Also, there is no chance this games moves off of the Big Ten Network. College Basketball isn’t like college football, the TV schedules are set in advance of the season.

I realize the game will be on the BTN, but is there any chance that we get college gameday or anyone to visit the BJC? I'm thinking that there is absolutely no chance, but figured that I would throw that out there.

The game is during the week. College Gameday is on Saturdays. And even so, their sites are set in advance.

Also, there is no chance this games moves off of the Big Ten Network. College Basketball isn’t like college football, the TV schedules are set in advance of the season.

I wasn’t sure if they’d do a college gameday in advance at the location. I never watch College Gameday, so I wasn’t sure how it worked.