PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Officiating

Last night’s game was one of the poorest officiating efforts I have seen since we joined the Big 10. Two of the officials mailed in their efforts and their judgement was a challenge. I told my wife on the drive to the game that the officials would determine the final score. Of course she challenged me. During the game her only comment was…" I see what you meant".

When we came back, we might have made mistakes but the foul calling, the lack of calls when #33 went from the top of the key to the basket without the ball touching the floor…(aka Michael Jordan) which he isn’t. Or #21 imitating the same Michael with his forarm shive to clear space for as jump shot. And if you get to review the game many other examples. It appeared that the conference was protecting their prospective NCAA rankings and eliminating upsets.

I thought the game was well called for the most part last night.

The only call I really, really would’ve like to get was when we tackled Lauderdale at the end of the game. Even then, I’m not upset with the no call. It just would’ve been nice.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:2, topic:886”]I thought the game was well called for the most part last night.

The only call I really, really would’ve like to get was when we tackled Lauderdale at the end of the game. Even then, I’m not upset with the no call. It just would’ve been nice.[/quote]

I agree. I was surprised at how many comments people were making about the officiating during the in-game thread. I didn’t see any issues at all with the officials last night, they might have called it a little tight but I thought they called a fair game.

The short bald guy was horrible. He was the one missing a majority of the calls and giving Evan the Kobe Bryant treatment

I never complain about officiating in a big ten game unless its really one sided and last night it was not. Big Ten allows a lot of physical play which I have no problem with its essentially the style of play in the big ten. People wouldn’t think a coach matters when it comes to calls well it does, coaches who work the refs usually get more calls then coach who doesn’t complain or do anything because to the refs that coach thinks you doing everything right.

[quote=“pap17754, post:1, topic:886”]Last night’s game was one of the poorest officiating efforts I have seen since we joined the Big 10. Two of the officials mailed in their efforts and their judgement was a challenge. I told my wife on the drive to the game that the officials would determine the final score. Of course she challenged me. During the game her only comment was…" I see what you meant".

When we came back, we might have made mistakes but the foul calling, the lack of calls when #33 went from the top of the key to the basket without the ball touching the floor…(aka Michael Jordan) which he isn’t. Or #21 imitating the same Michael with his forarm shive to clear space for as jump shot. And if you get to review the game many other examples. It appeared that the conference was protecting their prospective NCAA rankings and eliminating upsets.[/quote]
It’s a little hard to accept your criticism of the officials when you can’t even identify the key players from the Buckeyes (#33 is Jon Deibler and #21 is Evan Turner, potential POY in the Big Ten this season).

That being said, you fulfilled your own prophecy of the quality of officiating. You expected the officials to be bad, and after the game you believed they were. That hardly qualifies as being an objective viewpoint with which to evelaute their performance.

The foul calls were 8 (PSU) to 1 (OSU) at 5:42 when they called the bench technical. In the last 5:42, all 5 foul calls went against OSU. The ref were horrible in so many ways. Sometimes they hurt us. Sometimes they helped us.

There were some questionable calls – the foul call when Battle stripped Turner cleanly comes to mind. But I’m not sure it was any better or worse than other games. Just seemed the timing sucked on some calls. I think we got away with a couple too – I remember a blocked shot that I thought could have been a foul.

I thought it was pretty clear on the TV replay that Talor got Turner on the arm on that play. Talor certainly reacted like it was all ball, but it appeared that he didn’t get any ball.

[quote="mjg, post:8, topic:886"]There were some questionable calls -- the foul call when Battle stripped Turner cleanly comes to mind. But I'm not sure it was any better or worse than other games. Just seemed the timing sucked on some calls. I think we got away with a couple too -- I remember a blocked shot that I thought could have been a foul.[/quote]

I thought it was pretty clear on the TV replay that Talor got Turner on the arm on that play. Talor certainly reacted like it was all ball, but it appeared that he didn’t get any ball.

I agree on this one. On the replay, Talor clearly fouled Turner on the forearm. The two that stood out to me were Dieblers 3 step uncontested dunk and the foul on DJ where Turner lobbed the ball inside for one of their post guys and DJ deflected the ball but the refs called the foul. Both were sometime around the midpoint of the first half.

[quote="mjg, post:8, topic:886"]There were some questionable calls -- the foul call when Battle stripped Turner cleanly comes to mind. But I'm not sure it was any better or worse than other games. Just seemed the timing sucked on some calls. I think we got away with a couple too -- I remember a blocked shot that I thought could have been a foul.[/quote]

The rule of thumb is ball goes up, it was a foul. If the ball goes down it was clean. The ball went up.

We definitely got a few calls in our favor too in some ways, but don’t it just seem like the timing of many of the bad calls against us is too perfect sometimes? Our favorable calls are never gamebreakers, they’re always just like - “oh, well that’s nice”. But the bad ones against us are always timed up perfectly during a nice comeback for us, or a comeback for the other team.

It’s surely mostly perception from a biased point of view - but I’ve been pretty pleased with officiating in all but about 3-4 games this year, and last night was one I thought was terrible.

Anybody remember the call in the first half where the two refs within 10 feet of the play couldn’t see who the ball went out on, so the official 60 feet away from the play comes running in to make the call? Or how about Edwards doing the EXACT same move Turner did all night and getting called for a charge on it.

It’s the typical stuff you expect in terms of star treatment I guess, but it seems like that type of thing shouldn’t happen in OUR building, but it probably happens there more than in the away games we play. I for one was extremely happy somebody on the bench had the balls to finally scream something at the officials and get T’d up - that play in particular saw an OSU star throw his arms right into our guys face on a fumbled ball play with no call against OSU. It was a hustle play created by our guys and we get robbed of the correct call for god knows what reason - it was clear as day, but apparently not good enough for a whistle.

Anyways - it surely didn’t cost us the game, and it rarely does that I’ve seen. But it sure doesn’t help you win many when you just know any 50/50 type play is going against you in crunch time. It’s not even a question anymore.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:12, topic:886”]We definitely got a few calls in our favor too in some ways, but don’t it just seem like the timing of many of the bad calls against us is too perfect sometimes? Our favorable calls are never gamebreakers, they’re always just like - “oh, well that’s nice”. But the bad ones against us are always timed up perfectly during a nice comeback for us, or a comeback for the other team.

It’s surely mostly perception from a biased point of view - but I’ve been pretty pleased with officiating in all but about 3-4 games this year, and last night was one I thought was terrible.

Anybody remember the call in the first half where the two refs within 10 feet of the play couldn’t see who the ball went out on, so the official 60 feet away from the play comes running in to make the call? Or how about Edwards doing the EXACT same move Turner did all night and getting called for a charge on it.

It’s the typical stuff you expect in terms of star treatment I guess, but it seems like that type of thing shouldn’t happen in OUR building, but it probably happens there more than in the away games we play. I for one was extremely happy somebody on the bench had the balls to finally scream something at the officials and get T’d up - that play in particular saw an OSU star throw his arms right into our guys face on a fumbled ball play with no call against OSU. It was a hustle play created by our guys and we get robbed of the correct call for god knows what reason - it was clear as day, but apparently not good enough for a whistle.

Anyways - it surely didn’t cost us the game, and it rarely does that I’ve seen. But it sure doesn’t help you win many when you just know any 50/50 type play is going against you in crunch time. It’s not even a question anymore.[/quote]

This is ridiculous. There is not a conspiracy against the PSU hoops team

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:886"]We definitely got a few calls in our favor too in some ways, but don't it just seem like the timing of many of the bad calls against us is too perfect sometimes? Our favorable calls are never gamebreakers, they're always just like - "oh, well that's nice". But the bad ones against us are always timed up perfectly during a nice comeback for us, or a comeback for the other team.

Anyways - it surely didn’t cost us the game, and it rarely does that I’ve seen. But it sure doesn’t help you win many when you just know any 50/50 type play is going against you in crunch time. It’s not even a question anymore.[/quote]

Read the IGT for at least half of the games.

An analysis of the posts would show I am not far off in my belief that between 30-40% of what people put up there is b*tching about the officiating. The only thing is the whiners and moaners on this board aren’t much different than the same type of people on many of the other message boards. Seems there is a fairly universal conspiracy theory amongst most basketball fans that their team is being unfairly targeted by those big bad men in black and white. ::slight_smile:

Certainly isn’t limited to basketball. I think this is nothing compared to the complaints of most PSU football fans.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:886"]We definitely got a few calls in our favor too in some ways, but don't it just seem like the timing of many of the bad calls against us is too perfect sometimes? Our favorable calls are never gamebreakers, they're always just like - "oh, well that's nice". But the bad ones against us are always timed up perfectly during a nice comeback for us, or a comeback for the other team.

Read the IGT for at least half of the games.

An analysis of the posts would show I am not far off in my belief that between 30-40% of what people put up there is b*tching about the officiating. The only thing is the whiners and moaners on this board aren’t much different than the same type of people on many of the other message boards. Seems there is a fairly universal conspiracy theory amongst most basketball fans that their team is being unfairly targeted by those big bad men in black and white. ::slight_smile:

Agreed - when you have a bad team with bad players, you aren’t going to get calls.

I just watched the game last night, and I was on the lookout for bad officiating. My conclusion - the officiating was somewhat poor, but not much worse than usual. I think there two differences in this game that made it seem worse than most other games:

1. The timing of some calls was very bad for us.

2. Evan Turner very obviously was getting the “MJ” treatment.

I watched and rewatched many of the questionable calls for a closer look. Some were good calls (like the TB “strip” of Turner - he did indeed hack him on the arm, but it was hard to see at full speed), and some were not good. There were also a couple key no-calls - the most significant of which was when we had cut the OSU lead to two. PSU had the momentum and the crowd was really into it. Then, Battle got picked and Turner blew by him for an easy layup. I thought, how the heck was there not someone under the hoop to contest him? So, I rewatched it, and there Lauderdale just blatently pushing Drew Jones through the lane and out of the play. It was egregious, but I guess none of the officials was watching. There was another questionable call or non-call soon after (although I forget exactly what it was), and the game quickly unraveled for PSU from there. And I think that’s where these complaints are coming from. I don’t think it was a conspiracy, just bad timing. Unfortunately, PSU isn’t good enough to overcome stuff like that at this point.

[quote=“blue2blue, post:17, topic:886”]I just watched the game last night, and I was on the lookout for bad officiating. My conclusion - the officiating was somewhat poor, but not much worse than usual. I think there two differences in this game that made it seem worse than most other games:

1. The timing of some calls was very bad for us.

2. Evan Turner very obviously was getting the “MJ” treatment.

I watched and rewatched many of the questionable calls for a closer look. Some were good calls (like the TB “strip” of Turner - he did indeed hack him on the arm, but it was hard to see at full speed), and some were not good. There were also a couple key no-calls - the most significant of which was when we had cut the OSU lead to two. PSU had the momentum and the crowd was really into it. Then, Battle got picked and Turner blew by him for an easy layup. I thought, how the heck was there not someone under the hoop to contest him? So, I rewatched it, and there Lauderdale just blatently pushing Drew Jones through the lane and out of the play. It was egregious, but I guess none of the officials was watching. There was another questionable call or non-call soon after (although I forget exactly what it was), and the game quickly unraveled for PSU from there. And I think that’s where these complaints are coming from. I don’t think it was a conspiracy, just bad timing. Unfortunately, PSU isn’t good enough to overcome stuff like that at this point.[/quote]

If you guys say it was a good call, I’ll believe you. Looked clean to me, but I didn’t go back and watch it again to verify. Anyway, I’m in agreement that overall it didn’t seem any better or worse than other games. I just we’d get a close call or two our way when it counts most.