Official "Get off of Jones' Back" thread

I am serious.The team’s problems are “not his fault.” He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good.
Why, is he everybody’s scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say “we have poor front court play.” Well, we have worst back court play.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:712”]I am serious.The team’s problems are “not his fault.” He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good.
Why, is he everybody’s scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say “we have poor front court play.” Well, we have worst back court play.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players. [/quote]He’s been terrible this year. No defending it leave it at that. Yes he’s not had much help from anyone else but Ott is playing worlds better and deserves every min he gets

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:712”]I am serious.The team’s problems are “not his fault.” He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players. [/quote]

Tundra, you are correct. at least partially. There is enough “blame” to go around, but the defensive rotation on the perimeter is really lacking. How many times is this team going to give up a wide open 3 because the other team makes 2 or 3 passes? It happens over and over and I’m sure Bohannon will have plenty of open looks this weekend again. IU shot the lights out because most shots weren’t contested. A hand in the face does wonders.

I am serious.The team's problems are "not his fault." He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good. Why, is he everybody's scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say "we have poor front court play." Well, we have worst back court play.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players.

Tundra, you are correct. at least partially. There is enough “blame” to go around, but the defensive rotation on the perimeter is really lacking. How many times is this team going to give up a wide open 3 because the other team makes 2 or 3 passes? It happens over and over and I’m sure Bohannon will have plenty of open looks this weekend again. IU shot the lights out because most shots weren’t contested. A hand in the face does wonders.

The D is my biggest problem. That falls back on Eddie D. The scheme is just horrible. We freaking double on everyone and leave shooters wide open. I can’t remember who it was but last night I think either #23 or Pritchard had the ball in the post (whomever was covering him was doing a fine job ) and with a few seconds to go in the shot clock David Jackson leaves his man at the arc and hedges down a few steps to I guess double or get a hand in the post players face only to leave the shooter wide open. Kick out pass —open 3—good. Seems to happen all the time.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:712"]I am serious.The team's problems are "not his fault." He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good. Why, is he everybody's scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say "we have poor front court play." Well, we have worst back court play.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players.[/quote]

The D is my biggest problem. That falls back on Eddie D. The scheme is just horrible. We freaking double on everyone and leave shooters wide open. I can’t remember who it was but last night I think either #23 or Pritchard had the ball in the post (whomever was covering him was doing a fine job ) and with a few seconds to go in the shot clock David Jackson leaves his man at the arc and hedges down a few steps to I guess double or get a hand in the post players face only to leave the shooter wide open. Kick out pass —open 3—good. Seems to happen all the time.

Good point battles about that play. I had the same thought! It was a very important basket in the game. But, I don’t think it was DJ. I am thinking someone else.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:712"]I am serious.The team's problems are "not his fault." He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good. Why, is he everybody's scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say "we have poor front court play." Well, we have worst back court play.

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players.[/quote]

Good point battles about that play. I had the same thought! It was a very important basket in the game. But, I don’t think it was DJ. I am thinking someone else.
I thought it was but maybe not. Anyways they must be coached to do this because it’s always happening. In the 1st half the Rivers kid was walking into shots. I don’t think he could believe how open he was. He had time for a hotdog and a soda if he wanted.

Assuming it is the same play I am thinking of, it was TB.

Then it wasn’t his fault (channeling kidcoyote here). ;D

Then it wasn’t his fault (channeling kidcoyote here). ;D
Hahaha. How true. ;D

Everyone on the team needs to be more aggressive at the defensive end. It may sound like a weird thing to say, but I think we need to foul more. I was looking at the Pomeroy numbers for FTA/FGA, and in Ed’s tenure, PSU has rated the following (out of anywhere between 326 and 347 teams:
2010 10th
2009 2nd
2008 40th
2007 75th
2006 6th
2005 4th
2004 7th

Since Ed has a losing record in his time here, you’d also suspect that we’d be fouling a little more than other teams at the end of games while playing catch-up. Is the fact that we’ve been in the top 25% every single year, top 15% in all but one year, and top 4% in 5 of 7 years just a coincidence (whether it be random luck or the fact that we simply have players that are smart and don’t commit fouls), or is it a sign that we’re not aggressive enough and/or Ed coaches his guys to not give up FT attempts?

This team has serious problems. They start with shot selection and foolish turnovers. Then there is poor perimeter defense. These are the 3 biggest problems. They primarily come from back court players. [/quote]

And there lies the major problem. This kid has the talent to be a VERY GOOD player in the Big 10. Hell we have all seen it, but this year he is playing like a rookie. He is not going after balls the way he was last year, he isn’t going back up strong with the ball when he does get a board, he isn’t boxing out which allows for offensive rebounds for the other team and he isn’t playing with any passion.

As far as our shot selection, yeah it sucks but our guards have seen too many passes being mishandled by our bigs only to end up as turnovers.

Agreed - that drives me crazy as well. DJ did it last night with under 3 minutes to play and PSU down 3. There were less than 5 secs on the shot clock and he goes to double the high post. Guy kicks it out, and his man hits a 3 in his face. Cost us the game. needs to improve recognition of time and score.

agreed also on jones being unfairly blamed. that said, he’s not giving 100 percent. he and brooks and jackson were loafing last night. they did not run the floor at all. and at 0-5 that is unacceptable.

I am serious.The team's problems are "not his fault." He is trying very hard. His shot selection is OK. His shooting % for the season is good. Why, is he everybody's scapegoat? Heck, he is not even starting anymore or playing major minutes. Some people say "we have poor front court play." Well, we have worst back court play.

Speaking of the “d” IU shot 8-16 from 3-land at one point. PSU never covers the guy after the 3rd pass.

As for Jones- people are upset becasue he is going backwards. HE was in the game a couple minutes and had a silly foul again. Battle jumped over him to get a rebound as he stood there.

How about people get off of every player’s back, not just Jones. Even criticizing Battle now. Have people no shame? :-[