Observations from Purdue Game

Bench scoring for PSU - 2 pts from Frazier. Thats twice as many as vs. MSU (sarcastic).

Babb with 17 points. Here’s my assessment of Babb. Nice perimeter shooter and decent defense with his long arms. But no ability to take his man off the dribble. His traveling call when he when he had just one man to beat was a perfect example. He likes to get separation and shoot from the perimeter, he is not effective at using his body to score down low (even in a fast break situation).

Jones had 8 rebounds and 6 points. He also has very bad hands. The loose balls get away from him. He’s not very quick with his feet on defense. Johnson. blew by him regularly.

Brooks had 12 points and 7 rebounds. Nice to see him continuing to go to the basket. He’s got the size and athleticism but he’s also got some bad hands. Like Jones, he is horrible at blocking out. PSU gives up way too many second chance points because of this.

Jackson usually plays sound but unspectacular. This afternoon he didn’t play sound. He allowed several Purdue players to slip behind him on defense.

Short leash on Edwards today. He gets sloppy with the ball and gets it knocked loose. He recovers, sees a lane, and takes the ball to the basket. He goes too far and gets caught under the basket resulting in a missed shot and transition basket for Purdue. Ed pulls him immediately. Very surprising to me.

Frazier was a turnover machine but Ed seemed to have much more patience with him in the first half (he didn’t have a choice after Battle got hurt). I have no idea what to think of this kid. Two issues: 1) He’ll never be able to use his quickness to maximum advantage if he doesn’t develop a perimeter shot. 2) He’s a boy amongst men out there. Seriously, he looks like he’s 16 years old. Let’s hope that he matures over the summer.

Borovnjak played very well in his 6 minutes. He took up space in the lane and used his big body effectively to gather a couple of defensive rebounds. Good to see, but I still have no idea whey he didn’t redshirt.

If PSU had JuJuan Johnson they would be one of the top 4 teams in the B10. 21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. Jones/Jackson/Brooks had no answer for him. Johnson altered several PSU shots in addition to his 3 blocks.

From my seat in 121 I think the real difference is toughness. PSU is just not a tough team. Purdue was able to ride them up and down the court. Under the basket PSU didn’t fight hard for position. I worry more about Minnesota than I should for the same reason. Minny is up in your face and going to make you earn every inch. Not a good match-up.

Good effort today.

He’s already 20 years old. It’s very rare that you’d want to redshirt a Euro, and I’d never redshirt a 20 year old Euro. There is almost zero chance that he’d still be here playing when he’s 24 if he’s good enough to make $ playing the game in Europe.

bdroc, I agree with your assesment of Sasa. My only question is, he played well in his limited minutes. He may not be the physically strongest big man we have, but he fought hard for position and pulled down a few boards. So the question becomes, WHERE did he go the rest of the game? I dont understand why Ed never put him back in…

21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. Jones/Jackson/Brooks had no answer for him. Johnson altered several PSU shots in addition to his 3 blocks.

To be fair - he shot about 14 free throws, and I’d say he actually earned about 4 of them. He’s a good player, but let’s not act like he doesn’t benefit from having some pretty good players around him. Let’s pretend he all of a sudden switches roles with Andrew Jones this season - do you think AJ wouldn’t look a bit better, and Johnson quite worse? I know I do. I personally don’t find him all that great.

[quote=“Still in State College, post:2, topic:924”]From my seat in 121 I think the real difference is toughness. PSU is just not a tough team. Purdue was able to ride them up and down the court. Under the basket PSU didn’t fight hard for position. I worry more about Minnesota than I should for the same reason. Minny is up in your face and going to make you earn every inch. Not a good match-up.

Good effort today.[/quote]

One thing I’ve noticed the last few games is that we seem to have a lot of fouls to give at the end of the game to get the other team into the bonus. While it’s great that we’re not putting the other team on the line, I’m wondering if this is an indication that our D just isn’t agressive enough. Just once, we need to see an opponent drive the lane and get absolultely demolsihed… even if he gets FTs it’s like a brushback pitch in baseball. You want to drive the lane you’d better be willing to pay the price.

I thought the 2-3 zone really hurt our aggressiveness. I think Ed went to that after he saw Jones wouldn’t be able to handle Johnson man-to-man, and you can make the case the 2-3 forced Purdue to be patient and minimized their number of possessions in the game, but mixing it up with some man for a couple of possessions might have helped, especially with the difficulty you have boxing out in a zone.

I would still like to see this team do some full-court pressing when Battle and Frazier are in the backcourt and either Brooks or DJ is at the 4.

[quote="MarkH, post:6, topic:924"]One thing I've noticed the last few games is that we seem to have a lot of fouls to give at the end of the game to get the other team into the bonus. While it's great that we're not putting the other team on the line, I'm wondering if this is an indication that our D just isn't agressive enough. Just once, we need to see an opponent drive the lane and get absolultely demolsihed... even if he gets FTs it's like a brushback pitch in baseball. You want to drive the lane you'd better be willing to pay the price.[/quote]

I thought the 2-3 zone really hurt our aggressiveness. I think Ed went to that after he saw Jones wouldn’t be able to handle Johnson man-to-man, and you can make the case the 2-3 forced Purdue to be patient and minimized their number of possessions in the game, but mixing it up with some man for a couple of possessions might have helped, especially with the difficulty you have boxing out in a zone.

I would still like to see this team do some full-court pressing when Battle and Frazier are in the backcourt and either Brooks or DJ is at the 4.

I don’t have the #'s in front of me but Dick made a comment on the radio they switched from man to zone because they were torching the man defense. I think it was about 75% and then went 2-12 or 2-13 when Ed switched do 2-3. We didn’t have the horses to keep up with them man to man.

To be fair - he shot about 14 free throws, and I’d say he actually earned about 4 of them. He’s a good player, but let’s not act like he doesn’t benefit from having some pretty good players around him. Let’s pretend he all of a sudden switches roles with Andrew Jones this season - do you think AJ wouldn’t look a bit better, and Johnson quite worse? I know I do. I personally don’t find him all that great.[/quote]

Craftsy, you’re in a different universe on this one. He’s the best player on their team. On PSU, Johnson would dominate and he’d be getting the ball any time he wanted. He also chases opposing bigs away from the hoops and alters shot after shot. Fabulous player with good hands and great ups.

Good analysis, bdroc. I think the only problem with Sasa is he can’t play D, so PSU goes zone. I don’t care. While I think our bigs have gotten better in the last 6 games, he’s not getting enough minutes to even see if he has stamina. Look at Battle’s 1st season. What was he 6-31 from the arc? Posters were calling for his head. If Sasa could just get 8-10 straight minutes, I’d be happy. He seems to get 3-4, in which you can’t tell anything.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:924"][quote]21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. Jones/Jackson/Brooks had no answer for him. Johnson altered several PSU shots in addition to his 3 blocks.[/quote]

To be fair - he shot about 14 free throws, and I’d say he actually earned about 4 of them. He’s a good player, but let’s not act like he doesn’t benefit from having some pretty good players around him. Let’s pretend he all of a sudden switches roles with Andrew Jones this season - do you think AJ wouldn’t look a bit better, and Johnson quite worse? I know I do. I personally don’t find him all that great.[/quote]

Craftsy, you’re in a different universe on this one. He’s the best player on their team. On PSU, Johnson would dominate and he’d be getting the ball any time he wanted. He also chases opposing bigs away from the hoops and alters shot after shot. Fabulous player with good hands and great ups.

Spot on Kid. Good luck trying to explain this one to Craftsy :wink:

I normally agree with Craftsy, but he’s off on Johnson. JJ’s a great shot blocker and he’s an impossible matchup for most teams at the 5 spot because he can hit the long jumper AND post up inside. If you switched the two, Purdue would be much worse and we’d be much better.

You guys think Johnson was / is more valuable to Purdue then Hummel? With Hummel out, you think teams in the NCAAs will try to double Johnson in the post?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:924"][quote]21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. Jones/Jackson/Brooks had no answer for him. Johnson altered several PSU shots in addition to his 3 blocks.[/quote]

Good analysis, bdroc. I think the only problem with Sasa is he can’t play D, so PSU goes zone. I don’t care. While I think our bigs have gotten better in the last 6 games, he’s not getting enough minutes to even see if he has stamina. Look at Battle’s 1st season. What was he 6-31 from the arc? Posters were calling for his head. If Sasa could just get 8-10 straight minutes, I’d be happy. He seems to get 3-4, in which you can’t tell anything.

From what I saw of Johnson last night he reminded me of a cross between Calvin Booth (shot blocking) and John Ameachi (range). He is a very dangerous player and if they can get another guy involved like Grant or Kraemer they are still a dangerous team.