PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

O.T. Tressel and tOSU

Left wondering, how the hell does a seasoned, responsible coach (adult) get less than half the game suspension, surounding the same infractions, as the college kids (2 games to 5)?
While I don’t buy that the college kids were ignorant of what they were doing, that possibility is more probable than to think that Tressel would not have known what his responsibility was.
Per Tressel: “Doing the right thing for the safety of the young people.” PLEASE!
“Quite honestly I was scared,” gets followed by "not looking for self pity."
Our friend Dave Jones has been saying that the guy in sweater vest was slick and not what his public persona and marketing arm suggested. Can’t wait to see what Dave has to say on this topic.
NCAA better come back with a significantly larger penalty, and I am not talking about monetary penalty. However, I won’t hold my breath.

And how about this embarrassing “joke” from the president of the university…

Ohio State president Gordon Gee said he and Tressel had discussed the violation at Gee’s house for 3 hours one night.

Gee also said he had not considered dismissing the Buckeyes coach.

“No, are you kidding?” he said with a laugh. “Let me be very clear. I’m just hoping the coach doesn’t dismiss me.”

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6194162

That whole program just needs to be strung up by the bucknuts.

These top programs of the big money sports know that they now can get away with whatever they wish since it’s only a slap on the wrist that they will receive from the NCAA…the biggest joke in sports.

I’m a little disappointed because I don’t think what they’re on the hook for is terribly wrong, and I’m sure Tressel thought it would never come out, but it did…so now they’re getting heat for something that most people probably think is nothing. There will be many supporters who challenge the rules instead of the violation. Two different arguments. I’ll stop here.

Freethrow, why stop there. You haven’t said anything. I’ll go on record as saying that OSU’s Gee is a hypocrite and that Tressel is a typical win at all cost coach. Two games suspension is really an embarrasement. The NCAA is becoming a joke if they don’t lower the boom on OSU.

I thought the funniest part of the players suspension was that the university said they did the penalty next year because they “didn’t want the players to miss the Sugar Bowl, a once in a lifetime experience”. Hah. The Big 10 was so desperate to win a bowl game, after going something like 0-5, players would have had to be guilty of murder to have been forced from that game.

If it didn’t come across in my post, I think they do way worse than this and my fear is it won’t come out because they’re too busy chasing this BS. I have no evidence of anything. I just can’t fathom a team in 10 years going two sports Yahtzee.

Revisionist history. The suspensions were handed down BEFORE any of the B10 bowl games were played so unless Gordon Gee, Gene Smith and Jim Delany have some sort of crystal ball, the Big Ten’s bowl record had nothing to do with the suspensions (and for the record the B10 was 2-4 going into the Ohio State game).

But let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good story. ::slight_smile:

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:2077"]I thought the funniest part of the players suspension was that the university said they did the penalty next year because they "didn't want the players to miss the Sugar Bowl, a once in a lifetime experience". Hah. The Big 10 was so desperate to win a bowl game, after going something like 0-5, players would have had to be guilty of murder to have been forced from that game.[/quote]

Revisionist history. The suspensions were handed down BEFORE any of the B10 bowl games were played so unless Gordon Gee, Gene Smith and Jim Delany have some sort of crystal ball, the Big Ten’s bowl record had nothing to do with the suspensions (and for the record the B10 was 2-4 going into the Ohio State game).

Yes, I did know it had to be before the bowl games, but I did think they had an 0-fer to that point. I saw the Delaney on TV prior to their game, and he sounded pretty desperate. Guess I had that wrong.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:2077"]I thought the funniest part of the players suspension was that the university said they did the penalty next year because they "didn't want the players to miss the Sugar Bowl, a once in a lifetime experience". Hah. The Big 10 was so desperate to win a bowl game, after going something like 0-5, players would have had to be guilty of murder to have been forced from that game.[/quote]

Yes, I did know it had to be before the bowl games, but I did think they had an 0-fer to that point. I saw the Delaney on TV prior to their game, and he sounded pretty desperate. Guess I had that wrong.

They actually started 2-0 but even those games were after the suspensions.

I knew one of Sweater Vest’s star players at YSU…nuff said :wink:

Are you a Youngstown tattoo artist? :slight_smile:

Ohio State misdeeds come as no surprise by David Jones

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/03/ohio_state_misdeeds_come_as_no.html

What’s really shocking is the number of OSU fans who think he did nothing wrong, no laws broken, you can’t tell someone they can’t sell their own stuff, they still run the cleanest program in the country, blah, blah, blah…

It’d be one thing if the mentality was, “it’s worth it to win,” but a lot of them think he’s a saint that would never ever possibly do anything wrong. Ughh.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:13, topic:2077”]Ohio State misdeeds come as no surprise by David Jones

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/03/ohio_state_misdeeds_come_as_no.html[/quote]
Dave, how do you really feel? ;D

Good stuff. I’ve always felt, from afar, that program was slimy. I’ll be interested to see what the NCAA has to say about this.

Thinking Sweater Vest cheats OR not does one thing to PSU every year. It gives us 1 loss. As for the NCAA…Well…I’m saving my "belly laugh."
I love how the schools and the NCAA have agree on these “coach game suspensions” for meaningless penalties!! I think they both believe that the fan base wants to be fooled…so why not!!
Money will Rain Supreme…BUT, at least we know the NCAA basketball tourney selections will be fair :smiley:

I think Dave does a remarkable job of staying uncynical because what he says is exactly true (in general, I don’t know anything specific about Tressel, obviously).

It is very, very difficult to watch college sports up close and continue to buy into any aspect of the mythology. We get to do it here because we are for the most part arms’ length.

Every college team (even the Calipari-coached teams) has someone who excels at things other than sports, who seems truly interested in college, who takes extreme advantage of the social and educational opportunities he has been provided because of his unusual athleticism. And every team has knuckleheads and miscreants that up close make you think the whole enterprise is corrupt and not worth it.

I think what Dave has done over the years has been more objective than we will be (both positively and negatively) and a great, great storyteller when it comes to the kids in that first category. And his writing (style and technical aspects) is a big notch above his peers.

“Choose your heroes from your personal life. And leave the prefabricated public image whores to us. Usually, we know who they are. Only too well.”

Great piece, DJ. I’m saving that last line.

And people complain when a writer like that wants to write about PSU hoops. :o

[quote=“tundra, post:16, topic:2077”]Thinking Sweater Vest cheats OR not does one thing to PSU every year. It gives us 1 loss. As for the NCAA…Well…I’m saving my "belly laugh."
I love how the schools and the NCAA have agree on these “coach game suspensions” for meaningless penalties!! I think they both believe that the fan base wants to be fooled…so why not!! Money will Rain Supreme…BUT, at least we know the NCAA basketball tourney selections will be fair :D[/quote]

Absolutely right, Tundra.

It’s a huge money making machine, and nobody wants to kill the golden goose because of something as trivial as amatuerism.

Ironic how we have another thread where is shows the 400+ staff as Ohio State alone that gets rich off of these kids, then we also have the NCAA who gets FILTHY RICh from doing jack-squat. You think they want to make waves?

It’s all so disgustingly dirty that it almost turn me off not only to college sports, but the colleges themselves for allowing this to happen.