PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

O.T. Now This Kid's Got Game

12 year old from Washington state.

http://www.komonews.com/sports/heroes/111892554.html

Never real impressed with these videos because everybody that went to bball camps as a kid knew a handful of kids like this that never amounted to anything as players.

Is he great at those drills? Sure. Am I impressed? Not a bit. :wink:

The sad fact for him and most other kids is they will never be big enough or athletic enough to play any meaningful basketball beyond high school. He may look back in anger at his father years later if this whole “drilling him to death” while his friends got to go out and play around all summer doesn’t work out for him, which odds say it won’t. Then again, he may hold a grudge against them even if it does, so who knows.

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?topic=1756.0

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1782”]Never real impressed with these videos because everybody that went to bball camps as a kid knew a handful of kids like this that never amounted to anything as players.

Is he great at those drills? Sure. Am I impressed? Not a bit. :wink:

The sad fact for him and most other kids is they will never be big enough or athletic enough to play any meaningful basketball beyond high school. He may look back in anger at his father years later if this whole “drilling him to death” while his friends got to go out and play around all summer doesn’t work out for him, which odds say it won’t. Then again, he may hold a grudge against them even if it does, so who knows. [/quote]

Or he may actually turn out to be pretty good basketball player and coach.

Sean Miller on Johnny Carson

What about this guy?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Is-turning-a-5-year-old-into-a-phenom-a-step-t?urn=highschool-305514

There’s another kid out there like that, an 11 year-old from out west. Can’t remember his name off the top of my head, but he’s already drawing interest from UCLA. And how about that 13 year old who gave a verbal to USC for football? That’s just crazy…

Would be nice to already be set up for college when you’re just starting high school. :slight_smile:

Or he may actually turn out to be pretty good basketball player and coach.

Maybe. But it will have nothing to do with how great he is at these drills as a 12 year old.

Maybe. But it will have nothing to do with how great he is at these drills as a 12 year old. [/quote]

Also, what kind of father forces their kid to play basketball for two hours a day? I said it on the other thread, there is no mention of how smart the kid is, how he does in school. It’s just, look at this nifty dribble, shot, and pass. At 12, he should be doing other things than playing basketball everyday.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:7, topic:1782"][quote]Or he may actually turn out to be pretty good basketball player and coach.[/quote]

Maybe. But it will have nothing to do with how great he is at these drills as a 12 year old.[/quote]

Also, what kind of father forces their kid to play basketball for two hours a day? I said it on the other thread, there is no mention of how smart the kid is, how he does in school. It’s just, look at this nifty dribble, shot, and pass. At 12, he should be doing other things than playing basketball everyday.

Who ever said that he forces him? The kid may just love the game.

Western version of “Tiger Mother”. :wink:

Worked out fine for Todd Marinovich.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:7, topic:1782"][quote]Or he may actually turn out to be pretty good basketball player and coach.[/quote]

Maybe. But it will have nothing to do with how great he is at these drills as a 12 year old.[/quote]

Who ever said that he forces him? The kid may just love the game.

Possible, but seems unlikely. Most 12 year olds that “just love the game” are busy playing pickup games with their friends, not spending hours doing drills everyday (which it’s obvious he does to be so proficient at them). I would be shocked if there weren’t some strong paternal influence there getting him to work on it so hard.