PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

@nw igt

Damn this really sucks…

The last 5 minutes is some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. The offensive foul on Glover is the worst call I have ever seen in any sport. I would love to hear a defense of that one.

Billy has now fouled out, I’m not a fan of some of these calls

NW’s freshman PG is getting to the rim at will against Trey…that kinda makes me sad.

Well we tried, NW just got hot in the 2nd half.

I hate to lose but what can you do.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:25, topic:2950”]Well we tried, NW just got hot in the 2nd half.

I hate to lose but what can you do.[/quote]

This is pretty much how I feel. There are some good things to take away but lots of mistakes that will hopefully be minimized as the season goes on. It does stink though b/c this was a game on the road that we could have won (notice I didn’t say should have, but rather it was within the realm of the possible).

[quote="lynkpsu, post:25, topic:2950"]Well we tried, NW just got hot in the 2nd half.

I hate to lose but what can you do.[/quote]

This is pretty much how I feel. There are some good things to take away but lots of mistakes that will hopefully be minimized as the season goes on. It does stink though b/c this was a game on the road that we could have won (notice I didn’t say should have, but rather it was within the realm of the possible).

First half lead could have been much larger if not for missed layups and a few sloppy turnovers that NW converted. May not have mattered given the way NW shot in the 2nd half, but I rarely see other teams miss so many shots close to the basket.

We scored 56 points against a pretty poor defensive team, and that’s a positive? ???

C’mon guys, it’s SOS we’ve seen all year. We cannot shoot the basketball, and when you can’t shoot you can’t win more often than not. Again, I put this directly on the talent eval of Eddy D. The cupboard looks pretty bare save for 4 guys right now. No shooters leads to a lot of frustration. The numbers and the eyeballs guys can agree on this.

We’re gritty, we try incredibly hard, and we clean up on the glass. I love that about this team. But we can’t score, and that inevitably leads to points on the other end.

Billy receives mop up minutes on almost any other B10 squad. His line: 18 mins, 2 points, 5 PF and a turnover…from a 4th year sophomore against an NIT caliber Northwestern squad.

Sasa: 22 minutes, 6 points
Cam: 28 Minutes on 3-13 shooting

I’m also not seeing what Glover does to warrant all the minutes he plays either.

Meanwhile, the young guys like Graham and Travis get minimal minutes? Gotta question Chambers here. These older ED guys aren’t getting it done, time to let the young kids get in on the action. Better hope Newbill and Taylor are talented enough to get us some W’s next year…or at least can shoot the ball at a 40% clip.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:28, topic:2950”]We scored 56 points against a pretty poor defensive team, and that’s a positive? ???

C’mon guys, it’s SOS we’ve seen all year. We cannot shoot the basketball, and when you can’t shoot you can’t win more often than not. Again, I put this directly on the talent eval of Eddy D. The cupboard looks pretty bare save for 4 guys right now. No shooters leads to a lot of frustration. The numbers and the eyeballs guys can agree on this.

We’re gritty, we try incredibly hard, and we clean up on the glass. I love that about this team. But we can’t score, and that inevitably leads to points on the other end.

Billy receives mop up minutes on almost any other B10 squad. His line: 18 mins, 2 points, 5 PF and a turnover…from a 4th year sophomore against an NIT caliber Northwestern squad.

I’m also not seeing what Glover does to warrant all the minutes he plays either.

Meanwhile, the young guys like Graham and Travis get minimal minutes? Gotta question Chambers here. These older ED guys aren’t getting it done, time to let the young kids get in on the action. Better hope Newbill and Taylor are talented enough to get us some W’s next year…or at least can shoot the ball at a 40% clip.[/quote]
I’m here in Dallas for the bowl game. Missed the first half of the BB game, and watched the second in a Sports City sports bar that had on the Cowboys, Giants on ever TV but the one we had the BB game on, so the noise was extreme, making it hard to focus on the game, not to mention that it was impossible to hear the play by play.
Regardless, from what I was able to observe I am largely in agreement with your analysis and comments on individual personnel.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:28, topic:2950”]We’re gritty, we try incredibly hard, and we clean up on the glass. I love that about this team. But we can’t score, and that inevitably leads to points on the other end.

Meanwhile, the young guys like Graham and Travis get minimal minutes? Gotta question Chambers here. These older ED guys aren’t getting it done, time to let the young kids get in on the action. Better hope Newbill and Taylor are talented enough to get us some W’s next year…or at least can shoot the ball at a 40% clip.[/quote]

Unfortunately I have to agree with this part. We’ve seen what some of these older guys can do. They are what they are. I think the younger guys will get their shot soon.

Right now there’s a bunch of guys that play really hard and relatively smart, but at some point you have to have players on the floor that can make basketball plays on the offensive end.

We're gritty, we try incredibly hard, and we clean up on the glass. I love that about this team. But we can't score, and that inevitably leads to points on the other end.

Meanwhile, the young guys like Graham and Travis get minimal minutes? Gotta question Chambers here. These older ED guys aren’t getting it done, time to let the young kids get in on the action. Better hope Newbill and Taylor are talented enough to get us some W’s next year…or at least can shoot the ball at a 40% clip.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this part. We’ve seen what some of these older guys can do. They are what they are. I think the younger guys will get their shot soon.

Right now there’s a bunch of guys that play really hard and relatively smart, but at some point you have to have players on the floor that can make basketball plays on the offensive end.

Who would that be?
[quote="BleedPSU, post:28, topic:2950"]We're gritty, we try incredibly hard, and we clean up on the glass. I love that about this team. But we can't score, and that inevitably leads to points on the other end.

Who would that be?

Good question. I think some of the younger guys, like your boy Trey, are going to be asked to provide points in the near future.

I assume most of these guys shot well in high school, but perhaps they were just very good athletes who did not have to shoot really well from the outside to score. Confidence could be an issue.

I wouldn’t assume that. IMO, most shooters/scorers are recognized at the HS level. Pretty good number is that you score 60-70% of what you did in HS in college. Re shooting, if you’re not draining 3’s in HS, very unlikely you’ll do so in college. Some big guys go from inside game to outside type college game, but still, if it’s tough to get your shot off and hit it in HS, how can you expect to get it off at DI? Maybe recruiting real shooters, like Danny Morrissey, or like UM’s Douglas and Novak, might help. Seems Ed went for athleticism, yet the team under him, anyway, played more halfcourt. I guess maybe Trey Lewis and Jermaine Marshall were the best scorers/shooters in HS on this team. I notice Trey hasn’t done too well inside the arc, at 12-30, and 5-8 from the line isn’t getting enough FTA’s, not for 20mpg.

Some of my thoughts…

-The team once again showed how young they were in the second half.

-Billy still being out of his role. He should not be covering the other team’s big man, but what option does Chambers and Billy have?

-If you did not know who was on the sidelines, you would see no difference between this team and Ed’s teams.
-Good rebounders,
-combination of man and zones, with the players getting lost in zones,
-offense without direction, only breaking down for desperation plays at the end

What I liked is that some players are actually looking for their role, even if they are not very successful at that role at first. McLover looked lost at times, but is trying to assert his power. Trey looking for for shots, Timmy did not look to be forcing things too quickly at the end of the game. Marshall looking to be an honest second option.

This.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:35, topic:2950”]Some of my thoughts…

-The team once again showed how young they were in the second half.

-Billy still being out of his role. He should not be covering the other team’s big man, but what option does Chambers and Billy have?

-If you did not know who was on the sidelines, you would see no difference between this team and Ed’s teams.
-Good rebounders,
-combination of man and zones, with the players getting lost in zones,
-offense without direction, only breaking down for desperation plays at the end

What I liked is that some players are actually looking for their role, even if they are not very successful at that role at first. McLover looked lost at times, but is trying to assert his power. Trey looking for for shots, Timmy did not look to be forcing things too quickly at the end of the game. Marshall looking to be an honest second option.[/quote]

May be all great, but as Iowa beat Wisky at the Kohl and IU has beaten Kentucky, ND and now OSU, and PSU lost to NU today, looking tough to see any wins in conference. Not saying there won’t be any, but it’ll be slim pickings. This is really Ed’s team, and when you see how Beilein improved UM, how McCaffrey reinvigorated Iowa, and Crean seems to be bringing IU along, literally from devastation, it just should not take so long to improve a program, unless one wants to blame it on legacy/location. I wish Chambers luck. This team doesn’t really have any good size inside, nor really shooters, so there’s lots to do. IU’s wins have been unreal. Talk about great OOC wins. My goodness. IMO, PSU has to run plays to the basket, like NU, if they’re not going to post up. Not sure of this 4-1 offense. I see Nova struggle with it at times, despite talented players. I think it works better if you have a beast as the 1 inside player. If you don’t, it’s more like 4-0.

It looked like some of the guys didn’t want to swing the ball to billy. There were a few times he was open where they looked and drove instead of getting it to him

Both teams played hard. NW had kids who made baskets in the 2nd half. We didn’t.
We can beat them at BJC…I think anyway :-\

Dickie J gave an interesting stat at the end of the game. NW is something like 40-5 at home against non-ranked teams. 3 of those 5 losses are to PSU.

Maybe we were just overdue for an L in Evanston.