Number 12 for the Big Ten is

University of Pittsburgh

No way confirmed but there is lots of buzz that its happening. Even a possible announcement date being thrown around.
It is on Pitt and Michigan St message boards.

If this is true, does this long term help PSU basketball or does it make it more difficult to build a winner with an in state recruiting rival.

Do not believe rumor is true!

It is a rumor but if true, would point to Big Ten going to 14 teams instead of 12.

Still think it is Texas. Floating Pitt as a false target probably helps speed Texas’s decision.

Too bad for PSU bball, we need a regional rival yesterday. That and leaving the big east will knock back Pitt in recruiting. Though I still think they will have no problems getting to the sweet 16 every year. (A problem we would love to have)

Why do you say that?

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:772"]It is a rumor but if true, would point to Big Ten going to 14 teams instead of 12.[/quote] Why do you say that?

Pitt really doesn’t bring an extra media market for BTN but does get the conference championship game established. From estimates I have seen it wouldn’t boost each teams overall take that much in the offset of splitting the pie more. If you add Pitt, another east coast team and midwest team or 2 east coast , might gain multiple states for media markets. Essentially displacing the Big East in media coverage would be increase in money and households. Lar is better at the TV deal info, so maybe he could answer that.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:772”]University of Pittsburgh

No way confirmed but there is lots of buzz that its happening. Even a possible announcement date being thrown around.

If this is true, does this long term help PSU basketball or does it make it more difficult to build a winner with an in state recruiting rival.[/quote]

It’s been all of six weeks since the Big Ten Presidents directed the commissioner to report back to them with a recommendation. The commissioner was given 12-18 MONTHS so any speculation about what that recommendation is going to be is obviously way way too premature to have any substantial legs.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:772”]University of Pittsburgh

If this is true, does this long term help PSU basketball or does it make it more difficult to build a winner with an in state recruiting rival.[/quote]

I don’t believe that it is true - I think if it is true, they are likely to go to 14 instead of 12. But I would certainly love it if it was true. Bringing back the football game alone would be a lot of fun for PSU fans. In basketball, I think it would maybe fill the BJC once a season, which is good. But again, I doubt the credibility of the rumor that this will be announced soon. But it is floating around the internet… on sites of questionable credibility. Supposedly Pitt’s athletes have gotten word of the move and an announcement is coming soon, but these are very shaky rumors.

As for the Texas rumors, I think those are wishful thinking. They would be giving up a lot and ticking off a lot of alumni to gain some extra revenue, and they already pull in plenty of revenue. I think the chance of Texas joining the Big Ten is probably less than 10%

The rumor seems to be growing by the minute… a Kansas City Star reporter blogged that this may be a done deal

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/681

The domino effect will be interesting to watch. If this is true, I think the Big East is finished as a major conference. The basketball only schools never came around to realizing that they needed better football programs in their league. I doubt they will hang on to their BCS bid, and I doubt that Pitt is the only school leaving. Supposedly there is a lot of buzz that the ACC and SEC are also trying to grab some Big East schools

I had feeling as one team jumped ship, there would be multiple others.

This still may not be true - but certainly seems to have legs

I say if we pluck Pitt, we should also pluck Syracuse and U Conn too. Basically put the dagger in the Big East.

This thing has been a message board juggernaut. I’ll believe it when I see it. Seems awful early to make a decision.

It does seem early, which makes me doubt it. The only angle I could see making this possible is that Pitt approached the Big Ten about joining very fast, and the league saw a quick path to a title game with a member that fit. And then the Big Ten could have their title game while looking for 13 and 14. But this is all speculation by me, which has about zero value.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:13, topic:772"]This thing has been a message board juggernaut. I'll believe it when I see it. Seems awful early to make a decision.[/quote]

It does seem early, which makes me doubt it. The only angle I could see making this possible is that Pitt approached the Big Ten about joining very fast, and the league saw a quick path to a title game with a member that fit. And then the Big Ten could have their title game while looking for 13 and 14. But this is all speculation by me, which has about zero value.

Well what I have read is if Big Ten wants to play a championship game by 2012 season, any team in the Big East must announce by end of March of this year. If Pittsburgh did approach the Big Ten right as it went public or before the public announcement. It does make sense if they really want to be playing Penn State every year in football, joining the Big Ten was the way to make it happen.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:13, topic:772"]This thing has been a message board juggernaut. I'll believe it when I see it. Seems awful early to make a decision.[/quote]

Well what I have read is if Big Ten wants to play a championship game by 2012 season, any team in the Big East must announce by end of March of this year. If Pittsburgh did approach the Big Ten right as it went public or before the public announcement. It does make sense if they really want to be playing Penn State every year in football, joining the Big Ten was the way to make it happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Pitt in the Big 10. But that just seems like a fake requirement created simply to add some support to this rumor.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Pitt in the Big 10. But that just seems like a fake requirement created simply to add some support to this rumor.

perhaps Pitt started this rumor themselves to help them land some recruit on signing day. Wouldn’t surprise me, they are just dirty people in general

It could be fake, could not be. I would think we will see media really digging into this the next couple days.

Just found that the big east has a 27-month notice policy for schools leaving the conference so if 2012 is the target, things got to move soon.

It could be fake, could not be. I would think we will see media really digging into this the next couple days.

Just found that the big east has a 27-month notice policy for schools leaving the conference so if 2012 is the target, things got to move soon.

My gut feeling is that this rumor is actually true, and that they aren’t finished expanding yet

The big east will keep their BCS bid forever. Too many congressman and senators in their area who would cry fowl. Also upon Pitt leaving they will open up membership to any competent football school (Memphis, that directional Mississippi school Brent Farve went to, ECU, UCF-built there own stadium, FL Atlantic-Building their own stadium-something the U has never done.) You might say why but think of that many more congressman demanding that those schools keep their BCS cut. I am sure at this point the BCS powers that be would prefer a similar league be set up west of the Mississippi (call it the Big West)

I do wonder if instead of the breakup of non football schools that the Big East has a premiership set-up in bball. Something voluntary as part of setting up their own network through NBC/Comcast. (Ie giving these lesser schools better TV time slots then they could hope for on ESPN in exchange for letting SU/Georgetown/Uconn/Villa etc. stay in one separate super league. That and giving the lesser league one automatic bid)

But like I said the Big East is very adaptable and flexible which alone should guarantee its survival.