PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Not real excited about the Elite 8 match-ups

Has to be some of the worst in years. I was really hoping to see OSU vs UNC as I think that would have been a great game. Duke vs. UConn was also something I was hoping to see. VCU vs KU is OK, underdog to root for there. Butler vs. Florida is another underdog, just not a big fan of Florida, thought BYU vs. Butler would have been a more fun game to watch with Jimmer and the way BYU plays vs Butler.

I guess it’s all a matter of preference. My thinking is that teams don’t get this deep without being good, and I prefer to watch the games for good basketball, not star power of a particular player.

I’m excited about all four.

VCU - Kansas: Obvious Cinderalla story line. Will they reach George Mason status?
Kentucky - UNC: Heavyweight programs.
Arizona - UConn: Heavyweight again. Arizona is firing on all cylinders and UConn has Kemba, who I would prefer over "Jimmer"
Butler - Florida: Butler trying to get back to the Final 4, another great storyline.

Imagine a Butler-VCU Final 4 game? I’m hoping at least one of those two teams win this weekend.

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:2257”]I’m excited about all four.

VCU - Kansas: Obvious Cinderalla story line. Will they reach George Mason status?
Kentucky - UNC: Heavyweight programs.
Arizona - UConn: Heavyweight again. Arizona is firing on all cylinders and UConn has Kemba, who I would prefer over "Jimmer"
Butler - Florida: Butler trying to get back to the Final 4, another great storyline.

Imagine a Butler-VCU Final 4 game? I’m hoping at least one of those two teams win this weekend.[/quote]

I’m with you, this is an awesome group. Only thing missing for me in a big 10 team to keep rooting for.

I had to catch myself falling into the same trap I’m about to point out… i just realized Billy Donovan is on the verge of yet another final four appearance. Is he the most underrated coach in the game right now or what? I don’t care what you think of him outside of the actual game, the guy can flat out get it done when it counts and his name never seems to come up in the discussion of greatest coaches in this generation. It’s odd…

I’m enjoying watching the NCAA studio team on CBS.

Greg Gumbel reminds me of the good teacher who was more amused by his students than pushing them to get As.

Greg Anthony is the kid who gets all As only because he studies hard and does what the teachers tell him to do. He is resentful of the kids who don’t have to work as hard but seem to be better liked and respected. He wears his honor roll lapel pin and campaigned to get elected president of the school chapter of the National Honor Society.

Jay Wright and Kenny Smith are the class brains who do all the work and get all As, but it’s just because of natural ability. They don’t need to draw attention to themselves or need to be seen as the smartest person in the room, but they enjoy talking about what they know just because it’s interesting. They didn’t even know the Honor Society was anything more than an honorific, so they don’t go to the meetings or know that Anthony is their president. They don’t dislike either Anthony for his striving or the class clown for his mockery of all things “good kids” should value. They are bemused by both.

The class clown is, of course, Barkley. He doesn’t do any of his homework. He says things just to be outrageous. He may in fact be the smartest person in the room, but he likes the smart kids. It’s Anthony he wants to goad, so that Anthony knows that Barkley’s way smarter than he is and he’s not even trying. Not only that, the teacher likes him better!

This Butler team is definitely clutch.

Butler - Florida toe to toe!

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2257”]I’m enjoying watching the NCAA studio team on CBS.

Greg Gumbel reminds me of the good teacher who was more amused by his students than pushing them to get As.

Greg Anthony is the kid who gets all As only because he studies hard and does what the teachers tell him to do. He is resentful of the kids who don’t have to work as hard but seem to be better liked and respected. He wears his honor roll lapel pin and campaigned to get elected president of the school chapter of the National Honor Society.

Jay Wright and Kenny Smith are the class brains who do all the work and get all As, but it’s just because of natural ability. They don’t need to draw attention to themselves or need to be seen as the smartest person in the room, but they enjoy talking about what they know just because it’s interesting. They didn’t even know the Honor Society was anything more than an honorific, so they don’t go to the meetings or know that Anthony is their president. They don’t dislike either Anthony for his striving or the class clown for his mockery of all things “good kids” should value. They are bemused by both.

The class clown is, of course, Barkley. He doesn’t do any of his homework. He says things just to be outrageous. He may in fact be the smartest person in the room, but he likes the smart kids. It’s Anthony he wants to goad, so that Anthony knows that Barkley’s way smarter than he is and he’s not even trying. Not only that, the teacher likes him better![/quote]

I guess that makes Pitino the student teacher who gets mauled by the class clown because he can’t maintain discipline and the clown doesn’t have any respect for a student teacher.

I'm enjoying watching the NCAA studio team on CBS.

The class clown is, of course, Barkley. He doesn’t do any of his homework. He says things just to be outrageous. He may in fact be the smartest person in the room, but he likes the smart kids. It’s Anthony he wants to goad, so that Anthony knows that Barkley’s way smarter than he is and he’s not even trying. Not only that, the teacher likes him better!

I guess that makes Pitino the student teacher who gets mauled by the class clown because he can’t maintain discipline and the clown doesn’t have any respect for a student teacher.

Pitino jumped the shark for me when he wore that white suit. The hair dye, the Botox, the bar tryst, the white suit … Sheesh.

Butler on the line down 1’ 30.7 seconds left.

I think Gus’s voice cracked about 20 times in the last 30 seconds of regulation there.

Gus is a natural wonder. The new Keith Jackson.

Who else doesn’t like the clear everything out and let the star do his magic play?

I thought Donavon taking Macklin off the court, with Fl having the ball with a minute left and up by 1 point was a mistake. The heck with the low% foul shooting. FL should have got the ball in his hands inside and let him take it up. Couldn’t do it, he was not on the court and FL. could not execute in that last minute.

I’m ok with it in the NBA, but not college

this is quite a game

Butler = the new Gonzaga…

Walker doing his Talor Battle impression

Holy mother of pearl, Florida-Butler finish.

Walker is money from 25, shaky from 15!

Fantastic game!

Not a good shot there by Butler. No need to try to coerce the foul there.