PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Non-league losses not kind to PSU

No kidding! :frowning:

Go to the Jeff Rice story

Rice is a little off kilter with PSU needing 20 wins to go to the dance, but the odds certainly arent in PSU’s favor. According to rpiforecast, a 20 win season (not counting the BTT) would give PSU an estimated RPI of 11. So, that is a big stretch. At this point, they would likely need around 18 wins which would put their RPI around 31. There is no doubt that an opportunity was missed. However, 12 BT wins wouldn’t be neccessary.

are you really that surprised that people in Centre County just don’t get it when it comes to the way college basketball works? Look at the AD, for example, and PSU’s history of pathetic attempts to build a men’s program. 20 wins is an abritrary number that has taken on extra meaning for them. not really sure why. 20 wins plus a bad schedule with no good W’s gets you in the NIT

Battle said it best - all of the 3 losses came to unranked teams! Penn State is going to get beat up this year in the Big Ten. They are in way over their heads in a super competitive conference. ZERO chance at NCAA. ZERO.

Prepare… Prepare… You are about to receive a number of lectures for voicing your prediction!!!

I couldn’t believe it when I read that comment but it shouldn’t have surprised me. Very few people in the area know anything about hoops and Rice just proved himself to be one of them.

OK…if we somehow end up with an RPI of 11 and get passed over by the NCAA, then I’ll join the Oliver Stone club.

I’m just hoping something happens(not sure what) that has this team player tougher inside D, and scoring in the paint. I don’t expect it, just hope it. Those first 5 conference games will tell the tale, IU and UM away as a start followed by Purdue, MSU and IL at home. 0-5 a real possibility, but hopefully, win the 2 away, and take 1 of 3 at home. Won’t be easy.

PSU’s only hope and it’s a slight one at this juncture is to do the following:

Wins

Indiana
Iowa
Michigan (twice)
NW (twice)

That’s six wins right there, and will give the team something to hang their hat on. “You beat the teams you should beat” kind of resume building thing.

Minnesota at home…seven.

Then you’ll need at least two wins (probably three) from the following eleven games:

MSU, OSU, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin and Minny on the road.

Basically they’ll probably need to go 4-8 against the Top six in the BT to get a sniff from the NCAA. And that’s only if they take care of business against the four lesser teams, which is far from a sure thing.

I’m not going to say it’s doable, but at least they have a shot since they are playing a dozen games against teams that will make people sit up and take notice, should PSU beat them.

Bottom line: The Big Ten is brutal this year and so far it looks as if the Nits will be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

And a plastic knife at that

The first thing I want to mention is that we need to beat Maine on Tuesday, that will give us 8 win. Once we get into conference play we will need to pull out 9 wins somehow. Based on how we’ve played in the non-conference I think it’s unlikely. We will have to play much better in the Big10 to win in conference. If we can get 9 wins then we just need 1 win in the conference tournament. It will be a tough road to the NCAA Tournament, and it’s very questionable if we will make it.

What am I missing, did Calvin Booth, Pete Lisicky, and Geary Claxton have a year of eligibility left that no-one knew about and will be on the roster for the Big Ten season. How can people actually think that PSU is going to have a winning record in the Big Ten after getting beat up by Ole Miss, Va Tech, and embarrassed by Maryland. Short of Jones or Brooks or Jackson turning into Teen Wolf over the Holiday Break, this team has a shot against Iowa and Indiana, every other team in the Big Ten would be considered a real upset. Let’s hope whoever pulled Curley’s strings on the wrestling and lacrosse hires is the same guy that decides on the new football and BBall coaches this year.

Nobody said that they think it’s going to happen, they simply commented on what would have to happen for it to take place. The odds may be long but it’s certainly a possibility. Stranger things have happened (like the 22 wins that earned Rokk a self imposed exile).

[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:1651"]What am I missing, did Calvin Booth, Pete Lisicky, and Geary Claxton have a year of eligibility left that no-one knew about and will be on the roster for the Big Ten season. How can people actually think that PSU is going to have a winning record in the Big Ten after getting beat up by Ole Miss, Va Tech, and embarrassed by Maryland. Short of Jones or Brooks or Jackson turning into Teen Wolf over the Holiday Break, this team has a shot against Iowa and Indiana, every other team in the Big Ten would be considered a real upset. Let's hope whoever pulled Curley's strings on the wrestling and lacrosse hires is the same guy that decides on the new football and BBall coaches this year.[/quote]

Nobody said that they think it’s going to happen, they simply commented on what would have to happen for it to take place. The odds may be long but it’s certainly a possibility. Stranger things have happened (like the 22 wins that earned Rokk a self imposed exile).

And I was also commenting what I think would have to take place for PSU to get in the NCAA tournament. I think that my statement is grounded in better reality than thinking the current team is going to rip off 10 wins in this Big Ten season.

[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:1651"]What am I missing, did Calvin Booth, Pete Lisicky, and Geary Claxton have a year of eligibility left that no-one knew about and will be on the roster for the Big Ten season. How can people actually think that PSU is going to have a winning record in the Big Ten after getting beat up by Ole Miss, Va Tech, and embarrassed by Maryland. Short of Jones or Brooks or Jackson turning into Teen Wolf over the Holiday Break, this team has a shot against Iowa and Indiana, every other team in the Big Ten would be considered a real upset. Let's hope whoever pulled Curley's strings on the wrestling and lacrosse hires is the same guy that decides on the new football and BBall coaches this year.[/quote]

And I was also commenting what I think would have to take place for PSU to get in the NCAA tournament. I think that my statement is grounded in better reality than thinking the current team is going to rip off 10 wins in this Big Ten season.

And you just did it again when you said “thinking the current team is going to rip off 10 wins in this Big Ten season”. Nobody is “thinking” that. They are just answering the hypothetical question “what will it take?”. Maybe there’s only a 5% chance of that happening, but that’s what it would take (actually, I think 9 wins just might get us in with a win in the B10 tournament). That’s not the same thing as saying that’s what we think will happen.

Cletus,

You honestly feel that I and others are saying the Nits “will win ten games” and this is how they will do it. Lar is correct. All this is hypothetical.

If I was in Vegas right now and someone said to put $$$ down on an over/under six wins bet for PSU in the Big Ten right now, I’d probably go with the under. I hope I’m wrong, but that is how I truly feel.

Hypothetically speaking, I still think the Teen Wolf scenario is how 10 wins most likely could happen. That or a very wide spread cheating scandal that is found out over Xmas break that somehow ensnares 7 or 8 schools and results in 4 or 5 players per team being declared ineligible for the Big Ten season.

How can anyone possibly think that Jones, Brooks, or Jackson could possibly turn into a werewolf? Don’t they realize that was just a movie. There’s no such thing as werewolves in real life. Some of you people evidently live in a fantasy world.

See. I just did it to you. ;D

[quote="Cletus11, post:17, topic:1651"]Hypothetically speaking, I still think the Teen Wolf scenario is how 10 wins most likely could happen. That or a very wide spread cheating scandal that is found out over Xmas break that somehow ensnares 7 or 8 schools and results in 4 or 5 players per team being declared ineligible for the Big Ten season.[/quote]

How can anyone possibly think that Jones, Brooks, or Jackson could possibly turn into a werewolf? Don’t they realize that was just a movie. There’s no such thing as werewolves in real life. Some of you people evidently live in a fantasy world.

That was good, Lar, made me laugh. ;D

[quote="Cletus11, post:17, topic:1651"]Hypothetically speaking, I still think the Teen Wolf scenario is how 10 wins most likely could happen. That or a very wide spread cheating scandal that is found out over Xmas break that somehow ensnares 7 or 8 schools and results in 4 or 5 players per team being declared ineligible for the Big Ten season.[/quote]

So you agree the Teen Wolf scenario is our best shot at 10 wins…