No tv coverage for Penn? Where's the BTN on this?

Why wasn’t this Friday’s game picked up by the BTN? They are not showing any other games, just their usual Friday night programming…

It’s on the BTN.com for $3. Those of us that watched the Slippery Rock game can tell you that the quality of the video is very good, however it’s best to keep the live stats open while you’re watching so that you know the score of the game and any other info that you want.

I plan on listening to Steve and Dick.

The BTN is airing the Howard/Indiana game from 8-10 on Friday night.

The Penn/Penn State game will air on Monday the 16th at 1:00pm, under the label of “Student U”.

I heard the feed was quite the opposite. Depends on the connection maybe? Either way, good to hear you guys had a good experience.

[quote="Liebs1, post:1, topic:216"]Why wasn't this Friday's game picked up by the BTN? They are not showing any other games, just their usual Friday night programming...[/quote]

The Penn/Penn State game will air on Monday the 16th at 1:00pm, under the label of “Student U”.

They do have the alternate channels which they use for football. I wonder why all the Student U airings are replays. It would be nice if they were airing them live.

[quote="Liebs1, post:1, topic:216"]Why wasn't this Friday's game picked up by the BTN? They are not showing any other games, just their usual Friday night programming...[/quote]

They do have the alternate channels which they use for football. I wonder why all the Student U airings are replays. It would be nice if they were airing them live.

None of the “Student U” games air live. They are all given hard times to hit and must all be edited down to fit those times. Here’s a list of all the “Student U” games this year. You will notice lots of PSU Women’s games will be broadcast through this method.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/schedule/Student-U-TV-schedule.asp

As for firing up the alternate channels…the Big Ten only does that for football I believe. All the weekday men’s hoop games last season were spread across Tues/Wed/Thurs on both the BTN and ESPN. Weekend games on Saturday/Sunday aired on CBS/ESPN/BTN. Not once did the network ever double up on the times for the in-conference games on the BTN.

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:216"]It's on the BTN.com for $3. Those of us that watched the Slippery Rock game can tell you that the quality of the video is very good, however it's best to keep the live stats open while you're watching so that you know the score of the game and any other info that you want.[/quote]

I heard the feed was quite the opposite. Depends on the connection maybe? Either way, good to hear you guys had a good experience.

My feed wasn’t good, wobbily, etc. Almost unwatchable. And wasn’t synchronized as the announcers words were repeated, like “Frazier brings it up, Frazier brings it up, passes it to Brooks, passes it to Brooks”. It was like that guy in Goodfellas who repeated everything, “I’m going to get the paper, get the paper.” This went on for most of the game. Got a little better in the second half(late), but I’d give it a D or worse. I have DSL, so maybe that’s it. I TIVO’d it at BTN at 3am and watched it the next morning. I’ll probably try it once more. I also tried the radio broadcast to do together, but they were a minute behind the video, so that didn’t work either.

Seems as though the BTN has gotten a sweet little deal for themselves with this Student U thing.

They get the students of the schools to film and produce them - and end up looking like the good guys still for allowing students at the school a place to air their work, while providing coverage of games for one which probably wouldn’t have coverage otherwise.

Then again - we miss out on live broadcasts with higher quality production… but, i guess they wouldn’t touch the games so this is the next best option.

My feed was all but flawless. I’ve got a cable modem and Wireless G. And it seemed like high-def, or even better than high def.

I have to give my annual gripe about the BTN’s coverage of Penn State hoops…

5 possible game, and they cover only 2(TWO) !!!

Robert Morris plays next Monday at 7:30, but still being bumped to the PPV .com site. Why? What else is scheduled to be televised? Back-to-Back episodes of “BIG TEN Tonight” at 7:00 and 8:00, followed by “Michigan Campus Programming” at 9:00 and 9:00

PATHETIC !!!

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:216"]It's on the BTN.com for $3. Those of us that watched the Slippery Rock game can tell you that the quality of the video is very good, however it's best to keep the live stats open while you're watching so that you know the score of the game and any other info that you want.[/quote]

Robert Morris plays next Monday at 7:30, but still being bumped to the PPV .com site. Why? What else is scheduled to be televised? Back-to-Back episodes of “BIG TEN Tonight” at 7:00 and 8:00, followed by “Michigan Campus Programming” at 9:00 and 9:00

PATHETIC !!!

Three years ago, I would have had to listen to Steve and Dick for all five of those games. Now, I can watch two on TV and spend $9 to see the other 3 on my computer. I’m certainly not complaining.

PATHETIC !!!

Three years ago, I would have had to listen to Steve and Dick for all five of those games. Now, I can watch two on TV and spend $9 to see the other 3 on my computer. I’m certainly not complaining.

Agree. Some people are never happy.

PATHETIC !!!

It’s ridiculous, Lar. Tell me the reasoning behind it. Isn’t one of the main purposes of the BTN to give the schools and teams more national exposure?

You have to be kidding me. The BTN is picking up every single one of our conference games that isn’t being picked up by ESPN/CBS. That means we’ll get the “national exposure” for such games as MSU, Purdue, and Indiana. How much “national exposure” do you really think we’d get by having the BTN pick up PSU-Penn or PSU-Robert Morris, or PSU-American? It would be great if those games were on the BTN as it would save me $3 a pop, however things are better today than they’ve ever been and I don’t take for granted the fact that just a few years ago, I was hoping that the Christian station in Philly would pick up the PSU hoops games so that I could hear them.

PATHETIC !!!

I’m fine with the $3. I had poor transmission, switched to hardwire, disconnected it from the TV, yada yada. It kept freezing on me. Might be my provider. I’ll give it another shot.

[quote="Skeeza, post:14, topic:216"]It's ridiculous, Lar. Tell me the reasoning behind it. Isn't one of the main purposes of the BTN to give the schools and teams more national exposure?[/quote]

You have to be kidding me. The BTN is picking up every single one of our conference games that isn’t being picked up by ESPN/CBS. That means we’ll get the “national exposure” for such games as MSU, Purdue, and Indiana. How much “national exposure” do you really think we’d get by having the BTN pick up PSU-Penn or PSU-Robert Morris, or PSU-American? It would be great if those games were on the BTN as it would save me $3 a pop, however things are better today than they’ve ever been and I don’t take for granted the fact that just a few years ago, I was hoping that the Christian station in Philly would pick up the PSU hoops games so that I could hear them.

Like I said, what is the reasoning for the BTN to be dumping the game to the internet in favor of back-2-back episodes of BIG TEN Tonight? If there were no alternative, I could almost understand. BUT WHY ?!!!?!

PATHETIC !!!

It’s ridiculous, Lar. Tell me the reasoning behind it. Isn’t one of the main purposes of the BTN to give the schools and teams more national exposure?

The purpose of the Big Ten Network is to make money. Certainly, the Big Ten Conference invested in the BTN because they thought that the network would bring more exposure to the conference athletics than they were getting through ESPN/ABC/CBS while at the same time providing the conference with significant revenues at little risk. However, the driving force behind the BTN’s decision making is still ratings not altruism toward the conference.

I believe you answered your own question.

Have you ever thought that by showing back to back episodes of Big Ten Tonight will provide more national exposure for multiple Big Ten teams and multiple Big Ten sports than exposing one Big Ten basketball team? Shoot, the football coverage alone would probably be a bigger draw nation wide & conference wide than our game vs BobbyMo right now.

It’s called the Big Ten Network, NOT the Penn State Hoops Network. Although, maybe tjb has plans for expansion.

[quote="Skeeza, post:17, topic:216"]Like I said, what is the reasoning for the BTN to be dumping the game to the internet in favor of back-2-back episodes of BIG TEN Tonight? If there were no alternative, I could almost understand. BUT WHY ?!!!?![/quote]

I believe you answered your own question.

Have you ever thought that by showing back to back episodes of Big Ten Tonight will provide more national exposure for multiple Big Ten teams and multiple Big Ten sports than exposing one Big Ten basketball team?

It’s called the Big Ten Network, NOT the Penn State Hoops Network. Although, maybe tjb ha plans for expansion.

Particularly when it’s the home stretch of conference football play.