PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

No surprise: Sullinger heading to the NBA

I’m surprised he stayed this long. I guess OSU doesn’t want to be known as One and Done State University. Let’s see: Odom, Kofous. I’m sure there are others.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-04-04/nba-draft-2012-jared-sullinger-ohio-state-buckeyes-anthony-davis

Don’t forget BJ Mullens. Each year at PSU, I got to see a new all-world center for Ohio State come to the BJC…

Sullinger was in school two years, so how does he qualify for the One and Done State University tag line?

I don’t like Sullinger’s future in the NBA. I’m not sure he’s an explosive enough athlete to score on the block.

The B1G needs guys like Sullinger. I wish him luck in the NBA.

That said, I don’t think his ceiling is all that high. Then again, anyone recognize who this draft profile is talking about:

“For all his skill on the low block, [he] does run into some problems in the post, specifically when he’s going up against a longer defender. He is prone to having his shot blocked, and has trouble trying to score over bigger defenders. He doesn’t show much in terms of vertical explosiveness, being a mostly under the rim player. To his credit, he does a great job pursuing his own misses, as his motor never stops, and he’s often able to convert on his second effort.”

That’s Kevin Love, one of the best players in the NBA.

Sullinger’s NBA potential will be very interesting. He looks short to me for a NBA center. (6-8 max in my opinion.) Not great lift. Can he play PF? we will see.
But, he should be able to earn paychecks.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:3232”]The B1G needs guys like Sullinger. I wish him luck in the NBA.

That said, I don’t think his ceiling is all that high. Then again, anyone recognize who this draft profile is talking about:

“For all his skill on the low block, [he] does run into some problems in the post, specifically when he’s going up against a longer defender. He is prone to having his shot blocked, and has trouble trying to score over bigger defenders. He doesn’t show much in terms of vertical explosiveness, being a mostly under the rim player. To his credit, he does a great job pursuing his own misses, as his motor never stops, and he’s often able to convert on his second effort.”

That’s Kevin Love, one of the best players in the NBA.[/quote]

True, but Love was a much better shooter than Sullinger too.

I’m not going to begrudge him success, he should be a lottery pick, but I’m not positive he can be even a poor man’s Kevin Love.

Not really. Sullinger shot 52% from the floor, 40% from three.

Love’s freshman year he shot 56% from the floor, 35% from three.

Their FT percentages are almost identical.

Tom, Tom, Tom…You know better. :wink:

Fair enough, revisionist history on my part.

[quote="rwd5035, post:6, topic:3232"]True, but Love was a much better shooter than Sullinger too.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to project Sullinger’s NBA career to match Love’s. I’m just comparing that they were similarly regarded players coming out of college.

[quote="rwd5035, post:6, topic:3232"]True, but Love was a much better shooter than Sullinger too.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to project Sullinger’s NBA career to match Love’s. I’m just comparing that they were similarly regarded players coming out of college.

I know, I’m not accusing you of that. 8)

I know, I’m not accusing you of that. 8)

I haven’t checked Love’s college stats, but he did play just 1 year, so not much to go on. But in the NBA, he’s a spectacular 3 pt. shooter. Sullinger is clearly not. I am a big Sullinger fan, and thought he’d carry them to the title. I was disappointed, and I think his stock went down. Sure, he’ll make it, and be a lottery pick, but his game is totally inside the arc, some facing up, but much back to the basket. I love guys like this, inside bangers. Just not sure his height won’t hurt his effectiveness. I’m thinking Charles Oakley type player, or even Wes Unseld. Is there room for a guy like that? I hope so. I miss the back to the basket game. If you’re Shaq it can be done, and I hope Jared does well also. We’ll see. But I wouldn’t expect 3 pt. bombs from him, unlike Love. And isn’t Love 7’0"?

37% career 3pt isn’t spectacular. Quite good, but not spectacular. And as pointed out, he wasn’t a great 3pt shooter in college.

Unless he’s grown a few inches in the NBA, he’s not even 6’8.

But in the NBA, he's a spectacular 3 pt. shooter. Sullinger is clearly not.

37% career 3pt isn’t spectacular. Quite good, but not spectacular. And as pointed out, he wasn’t a great 3pt shooter in college.

And isn't Love 7'0"?

This I would dispute because he plays basketball in shoes. He’s 6’9’’, ain’t no one running around the NBA in bare feet.

Shooting stats are just numbers. Can they be used to make inferences? Sure. BUT many human inferences are incorrect when looking at short term or broad based (all shots) data. OR, many human inferences are just , in general, not correct.

Usually big guys who shoot very close to the basket (dunks included) have the top shooting %s.
Shaq shot .582 for his NBA career. I think he lead the league many times. .610 in college. Could you make an inference that he was a “great shooter?” NOT on your life.
In converse Rick Mount shot.433 in his pro career. I’ve heard many call Mount the game’s best shooter ever!

Who was the better shooter???..TRUST EYEBALLS MORE THAN STATS

[quote="kidcoyote, post:12, topic:3232"]But in the NBA, he's a spectacular 3 pt. shooter. Sullinger is clearly not.[/quote]

This I would dispute because he plays basketball in shoes. He’s 6’9’’, ain’t no one running around the NBA in bare feet.

I’m willing to bet Sullinger measures in pretty much the same height in shoes, too.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:12, topic:3232"]But in the NBA, he's a spectacular 3 pt. shooter. Sullinger is clearly not.[/quote]

I’m willing to bet Sullinger measures in pretty much the same height in shoes, too.

I would bet he’s taller.

I would bet he’s taller.

Who cares. Sullinger clearly has talent. The question is whether or not he’ll have the desire once he signs that 7 figure contract. Love works hard every night. Even the superstars – Kobe, MJ, Bird, etc. – all worked harder than the other guy. Sometimes that’s the difference.

Agreed, but I don’t think that will be an issue with Sullinger. Love was able to adjust against taller defenders, and I think Love might be quicker on his feet. I think Sullinger could succeed, but I doubt he reaches Kevin Love’s levels.

Love displayed more skill on the offensive end than Sullinger, who mostly “big dogged” his way to buckets. While Love certainly did some of the same, he also displayed a more impressive arsenal on the offensive end, where Sullinger struggled when he was not able to simply out physical his defender. Sullinger did improve his offensive arsenal this season, but he is still not where Love was coming out of college.

Also, Love was a better rebounder and the best outlet passer the college game has seen in a long time. I also think Love was a better passer in general and while maybe not an elite defender he showed much more willingness and desire on that end than Sullinger does. The ever popular basketball IQ also swings in Love’s favor, though Sullinger is no slouch in that department being a son of a coach and part of a basketball family.

In summary, the players might have similar measurables but I think Love was on a higher level entering the NBA.