PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

No. 18/19 Lady Lions Continue Road Swing at Michigan State Sunday

The game will be televised on ESPN2 at 3 p.m.

Big game. MSU really socked it to us last match-up.

And MSU is on a four game skid that they will be hungry to stop.

No. 18/19 Lady Lions Come Up Short at Michigan State

This team keeps underachieving. I don’t know if it’s poor coaching or just poor playing.

My guess is that the coaching is just too soft. It seems we have a “shoot everytime you get the ball offense” without much form.
Playing fast may keep players happy…BUT, “form” is needed to get the ball in the proper players hands (see: Maggie) in a position to score at important times.
Again I think more structure will equate to more wins and more happy players in the long run.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:3020”]This team keeps underachieving. I don’t know if it’s poor coaching or just poor playing.

My guess is that the coaching is just too soft. It seems we have a “shoot everytime you get the ball offense” without much form.
Playing fast may keep players happy…BUT, “form” is needed to get the ball in the proper players hands (see: Maggie) in a position to score at important times.
Again I think more structure will equate to more wins and more happy players in the long run.[/quote]

Did you watch the game, tundra?

Unusual game. It had nothing to do with playing fast. The game was actually slowed down. PSU only had 12 TOs.

Problem was with Nikki Green. She is the lady’s answer to John Graham. Can’t stay out of foul trouble. MSU really doesn’t have an inside presence. Nikki fouled out quick because she can’t help but reach in on a shot. When she was out, the other bigs are young. They didn’t rotate well, and didn’t ‘help’ on defense very well. Poole, their little guard, all but scored at will on drives.

Maggie did not get the ball much in the second half because the team was purposely trying to isolate down low to take advantage of the size we had over them. Our post players took a lot of shots, and rightfully so. They are just young, so shots that will eventually fall for them did not do so in this game.

It’s a learning experience. I don’t think the young post players were used to the responsibility of carrying a team. Hopefully, they have a lot of film to find out what needs be done.

This team keeps underachieving. I don't know if it's poor coaching or just poor playing.

Again I think more structure will equate to more wins and more happy players in the long run.

Unusual game. It had nothing to do with playing fast. The game was actually slowed down. PSU only had 12 TOs.

Problem was with Nikki Green. She is the lady’s answer to John Graham. Can’t stay out of foul trouble. MSU really doesn’t have an inside presence. Nikki fouled out quick because she can’t help but reach in on a shot. When she was out, the other bigs are young. They didn’t rotate well, and didn’t ‘help’ on defense very well. Poole, their little guard, all but scored at will on drives.

Maggie did not get the ball much in the second half because the team was purposely trying to isolate down low to take advantage of the size we had over them. Our post players took a lot of shots, and rightfully so. They are just young, so shots that will eventually fall for them did not do so in this game.

It’s a learning experience. I don’t think the young post players were used to the responsibility of carrying a team. Hopefully, they have a lot of film to find out what needs be done.

Only saw some of the game. I accept your summary…I would just rather my stars with the ball at crunch time not young post players.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:3020"]This team keeps underachieving. I don't know if it's poor coaching or just poor playing.

Again I think more structure will equate to more wins and more happy players in the long run.[/quote]

Only saw some of the game. I accept your summary…I would just rather my stars with the ball at crunch time not young post players.

You’re right. Maggie had 19 points three minutes into the second half, then the team seemed to forget about her. At that point she had almost half of the teams points (19 of the 43 they had scored) on 8-10 shooting. She got just two the rest of the way. Even the announcers were dumbfounded as to how PSU wasn’t running their offense through her. That loss was on the coaching staff.