Nittany Lions Stifle UMBC, 58-42

gopsusports.com: Brooks Scores Game-High 14 Points; Jones Tallies Fourth Career Double-Double

altoonamirror.com: Lions rebound against Retrievers By Mark Brennan, For the Mirror

collegian.psu.edu: Lions dispatch Retrievers with strong second half

bigtennetwork.com: UMBC-PSU highlight video

This game will go into my memory bank as "surreal."
A couple of thoughts - no order

Gus Johnson referred to Jon C "As Penn State Great"
Ed , it seemed to me, in the post game interview, referred to Jon as “Joen” A combination of Joe and Jon
UMBC was flat out terrible ( worst than NJIT last year) - I guess UMBC was pretty good last year
The game was fast - mercifully
PSU played as bad as I can REMEMBER any PSU team playing a half (1st half) ( but, My memory isn’t the greatest, I know I have seen many a poor half of play)
PSU had 14 turnovers for the game Also many more BAD passes that were deflected by UMBC but did not become actual "turnovers"
I actually re-watched parts of the game this morning
I liked the hustle of Ed (Andrew) Ott last night - Frazier played good “on ball” defense in the 2nd half
This game is making me rethink my “I like cupcakes” policy
PSU should refund the money , in double, for anyone who attended last night!
Heck, I’m thinking I should have been payed to watch the game on the BTN
Did I say, PSU had 14 turnovers against a YMCA quality team - I guess the saying “You play to your opponents level” is true

centredaily.com: Defensive effort by Jeff Rice

You obviously don’t remember NJIT last year. This UMBC team would have beaten them by double digits (easily). UMBC may be 0-8 now, but they’ll win 7-8 games this season.

Had to be the quickest game I’ve ever attended. Out of the BJC at 8:08. Good for beating the snow home across the mountain. :slight_smile:

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:450"]UMBC was flat out terrible ( worst than NJIT last year) - I guess UMBC was pretty good last year[/quote]

You obviously don’t remember NJIT last year. This UMBC team would have beaten them by double digits (easily). UMBC may be 0-8 now, but they’ll win 7-8 games this season.

They’re not an 0-8 team. OK they are, but you get my drift. They had their 7-footer, Robbie Jackson out with an ankle injury and lost their leading scorer, Chauncey “Billups Armon” Gilliam, early in the game. Still they gave a hard-fought effort.

My concern was that PSU, in the first half, was settling for passes around the arc and hoisting up 3-pointers instead of working it down low where they had an advantage. Yes UMBC packed it in with their zone, but our guards wouldn’t even try to penetrate the zone. Wasn’t until the 2nd half, when the Retrievers inexplicably went man-to-man, that PSU ratcheted up the offense and buried them.

I still like this team and the players on the team. Shooting of course is not quite there yet…heck, it’s nowhere near where it needs to be. But the effort and the talent seems to be there. Chemistry, well, let’s just say that they have three more games to figure it all out before the real season begins. Then I think things will get real interesting with this team. I have a feeling that PSU has kids who will rise (and fire:-) to the occasion.

I do like the fact that since the 2nd half at Virginia, this team is getting after it on the defensive end. Granted it’s Temple and UMBC, but 87 total points in two games is not all that bad regardless of who you play at this level.

Many of those shots were uncontested. PSU could have easily been trailing at halftime to a really bad small conference team who was playing without their big man.

No way to put a positive spin on that game.

[quote=“bdroc, post:7, topic:450”]Many of those shots were uncontested. PSU could have easily been trailing at halftime to a really bad small conference team who was playing without their big man.

No way to put a positive spin on that game.[/quote]

We were 1-11 from the arc in the first half. If we hit a couple more, we could have been up double digits too. The “shots falling” concept works both directions. We played with little intensity the first half. Not sure if it was ED’s halftime speech or Brooks’ dunk to start the second half that lit the fire. But we definitely turned it up after the break.

[quote=“bdroc, post:7, topic:450”]Many of those shots were uncontested. PSU could have easily been trailing at halftime to a really bad small conference team who was playing without their big man.

No way to put a positive spin on that game.[/quote]
And many of the shots PSU missed were wide open and/or in the paint. Both teams missed.