Nittany Lions Offer Free Student Tickets For Saturday's Game Vs. No. 6 Purdue

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030210aaa.html

Thats pretty awesome. I’m not sure how many people would still be on campus and would come, but still…

Over 150 RSVPd…and considering a lot of things, thats pretty solid one day into the promo

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:906"]Thats pretty awesome. I'm not sure how many people would still be on campus and would come, but still...[/quote]

Over 150 RSVPd…and considering a lot of things, thats pretty solid one day into the promo

How large is the usual student section? What if say… X + 100 students signed up? Where would they sit? Or is there a cap on it?

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:906"]Thats pretty awesome. I'm not sure how many people would still be on campus and would come, but still...[/quote]

How large is the usual student section? What if say… X + 100 students signed up? Where would they sit? Or is there a cap on it?

There is no offical size, but the sideline holds about 780. Most games that don’t have a student section we’ve put anything we can get behind one of the baskets. My guess is that is where we will go. Next to/behind the band. It might not be much…but it’s better than how it usually is for non-student section games.

I’ll do my best to keep the totals updated.

BIG DEAL…Spring Break starts Monday

Students should be FREE for ALL GAMES

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:906”]BIG DEAL…Spring Break starts Monday

Students should be FREE for ALL GAMES[/quote]With our struggling attendance there is no doubt it should be free for all students >:( Timmy!!!

A little over 200 students

About 250 now

Hopefully the number continues to increase as the game approaches. What is the average or ballpark amount of students at the games?

1st off, are we really that excited that possibly only 250 students are gonna be at the game on Saturday? I mean, obviously that’s better than none, but it’s certainly nothing to be proud of. Considering tickets are free, the spring break excuse is invalid. I

2nd off, Facebook events has shown time and time again that their RSVP lists are more worthless than College basketball polls.

if you’re not in town, the free ticket incentive is invalid

[quote="NGameday, post:9, topic:906"]About 250 now[/quote]

1st off, are we really that excited that possibly only 250 students are gonna be at the game on Saturday? I mean, obviously that’s better than none, but it’s certainly nothing to be proud of. Considering tickets are free, the spring break excuse is invalid. I

2nd off, Facebook events has shown time and time again that their RSVP lists are more worthless than College basketball polls.

Don’t some students already have season tickets? Do they get a refund if they attend? Or was this game not part of the package since it is during break?

This game wasn’t part of the package.

It’s more of the fact that many kids are just going home for break, which for a decent number of people is within an hour or two radius of the school. Free tickets to see a 1 or 2 seed in the upcoming tournament should be plenty of incentive to stay an extra day.

Then again, it is State College and we are Penn State.

[quote=“eric17, post:15, topic:906”]It’s more of the fact that many kids are just going home for break, which for a decent number of people is within an hour or two radius of the school. Free tickets to see a 1 or 2 seed in the upcoming tournament should be plenty of incentive to stay an extra day.

Then again, it is State College and we are Penn State.[/quote]

I hope you mean the B10 tournament :D.

Hold your horses. It’s not just the fact that we are Penn State. I think that the NIT run last year showed that - people will do what it takes to watch the games if the team is good. However, our record shows that we are lousy. Most people aren’t as big of Penn State basketball fans as yourself, relax. Most people aren’t going to inconvenience themselves to see their team most-likely lose.

Also, don’t the dorms close by noon on that Saturday of breaks? That takes away a decent portion of students to attend the game. Additionally, let’s think about what classes are dominated by SB goers - Junior and Senior classes. What classes are most likely not living in the dorms any longer, hence would have available housing still? Juniors and Seniors.

So that means that the only two classes that the vast majority of would still have open housing, are the same two classes that are most apt to be have already left SC by Saturday. Therefore, the 2 classes that have the highest probability of attending this game are the same two classes that most will not have open housing in.

Put those two thoughts together and A LOT of the student body will not have the option of attending.

[quote=“State4Life, post:17, topic:906”]Hold your horses. It’s not just the fact that we are Penn State. I think that the NIT run last year showed that - people will do what it takes to watch the games if the team is good. However, our record shows that we are lousy. Most people aren’t as big of Penn State basketball fans as yourself, relax. Most people aren’t going to inconvenience themselves to see their team most-likely lose.

Also, don’t the dorms close by noon on that Saturday of breaks? That takes away a decent portion of students to attend the game. Additionally, let’s think about what classes are dominated by SB goers - Junior and Senior classes. What classes are most likely not living in the dorms any longer, hence would have available housing still? Juniors and Seniors.

So that means that the only two classes that the vast majority of would still have open housing, are the same two classes that are most apt to be have already left SC by Saturday. Therefore, the 2 classes that have the highest probability of attending this game are the same two classes that most will not have open housing in.

Put those two thoughts together and A LOT of the student body will not have the option of attending.[/quote]

The fact remains if you made that offer at any other Big Ten School (save NW where they are already free) or most Big East/ACC schools, the student section would be packed. It’s all part of the uphill battle at Penn State. PSU does NOT have a basketball culture whereas much of the rest of the conference (and ACC/Big East) does. At other schools, they find ways to attend the games, not look for excuses not to.

I’m just a little annoyed that it sounds like another student section is going to roll into the BJC and takeover. I thought those days were over.

However, this is not the place to vent because we all know the situation in regards to our fanbase.

The fact remains that every other Big Ten School save Northwestern, consistently put out winning teams that go dancing more than once every 10 years. If you have a consistent winning basketball team, you will have a basketball culture. Schools that have big time basketball cultures are schools where making the NIT is a bad year.

I’m all for promotions to get more seats filled, but nothing fills the house like a consistent winner. If MSU, Wisky, 'cuse, Duke, etc. had our history on the court, they would have our fans in the stands.