Nittany Lions And Illinois Continue Thrilling Series Wednesday

gopsusports.com: Five of last nine games between two teams decided by one-point/THON NIGHT at BJC

PSU game notes

From the game notes…“Battle
IS THE ONLY BCS player to lead his team in points,
rebounds, assists & steals.”

Wow, seems impossible for a point guard.

Illinois game notes

fightingillini.com Video: Tisdale and Cole talk about their players only meeting and their upcoming game against PSU.

[quote=“psu76, post:2, topic:741”]From the game notes…“Battle
IS THE ONLY BCS player to lead his team in points,
rebounds, assists & steals.”

Wow, seems impossible for a point guard.[/quote]

This speaks more to the lack of a consistent big men than it does to the versatility of Battle, though he is a versatile dude. Now if he led in blocks as well, that would be amazing. But Talor has zero, yes zero blocks on the season. Sadly, he’s only 7 blocks behind the leaders. PSU as a team only has 30 total with Brooks and Jones leading the way with 7 apiece.

[quote="psu76, post:2, topic:741"]From the game notes..."Battle IS THE ONLY BCS player to lead his team in points, rebounds, assists & steals."

Wow, seems impossible for a point guard.[/quote]

This speaks more to the lack of a consistent big men than it does to the versatility of Battle, though he is a versatile dude. Now if he led in blocks as well, that would be amazing. But Talor has zero, yes zero blocks on the season. Sadly, he’s only 7 blocks behind the leaders. PSU as a team only has 30 total with Brooks and Jones leading the way with 7 apiece.

shocking numbers on the blocks.

With the Tempo Free stats, we’re 331st (out of 347 teams) in blocks. The only BCS team lower than us is Stanford. In the previous 5 years, we’ve been 322, 281, 304, 266, and 283.

Wouldn’t more blocks probably translate into more fouls on our big guys?

Really? I would have to say this year’s numbers are probably just as good (or maybe even better) than the last 10 seasons or so.

EDIT: I guess Frats did the research for me. Not better but it’s certainly not a newsflash that we don’t block shots.

[quote="FanofPSU, post:5, topic:741"]shocking numbers on the blocks.[/quote]

Really? I would have to say this year’s numbers are probably just as good (or maybe even better) than the last 10 seasons or so.

EDIT: I guess Frats did the research for me. Not better but it’s certainly not a newsflash that we don’t block shots.

What I have seen is teams not really taking it inside on the Nits as much as before, maybe because the teams we’ve played so far in the Big Ten lack that sort of presence, outside of Leuer and Sims. I will say that Ott, while not able to block many shots, is more than capable of altering shots with his height, his girth and his hustle.

But also, it seems that a Dechellis philosophy is to have his guys stay out of foul trouble. The team might give up an easy deuce in return for not picking up a foul. That’s why it’s so important for the defense to deny the entry pass into the low post. Though with things going the way they are at times, I’d rather have the Nits give up the pass and the easier attempt at two instead of the dagger three.

All I know is that I miss Calvin Booth.