PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Nittany Lion and Lady Lion coaching staffs working together

From LadyLions.com: Breaking bread with the Nittany Lions

It’s been a long time coming. When Rene was here, she absolutely drove a wedge between the men’s and women’s programs. There was no spirit of cooperation at all. Things were better between DeChellis and Coquese but there was still room for tons of improvement. Hopefully this time, the antagonism will be buried for good.

Both teams working together :slight_smile:
New blood on the Men’s staff :slight_smile:
It’s a wonderful time for PSU hoops :slight_smile:

What are the chances these three points are related… ::slight_smile:

Now if we can just get the ladies to adopt the school’s mascot, all remnants of that bad memory will be erased.

+1

[quote="PSUJAG, post:4, topic:2661"]Now if we can just get the ladies to adopt the school's mascot, all remnants of that bad memory will be erased.[/quote]

+1

Please elaborate… I’m not sure I know the entire story.

[quote="PSUJAG, post:4, topic:2661"]Now if we can just get the ladies to adopt the school's mascot, all remnants of that bad memory will be erased.[/quote]

+1

Rene changed their name to the Lady Lions. They should change back to the Nittany Lions like every other sports team at the school.

+1

The women’s basketball team is the only team on campus that doesn’t call themselves Nittany Lions, they go by Lady Lions instead. That was at Rene’s insistence - don’t know what her rationale was but she refused to let her team be called Nittany Lions.

I thought that all/most of the women’s teams were called Lady Lions when I arrived in 1990. Was the basketball team teh only one?

They might have been, but at some point the athletic department decided that there was really no difference between the women’s and men’s athletic programs and that all the athletes should be considered Nittany Lions. Rene wouldn’t go along with it. I haven’t a clue why but she wouldn’t.

I’ll try to do some digging around, but my foggy memory is that Farmer either went with Nittany Lions when he started the varsity program @94 or shortly there after. I think they were the first with the others changing over the years. I’m positive that the Women’s Volleyball team was still going by Lady Lions in the mid 90s.

Well I’m glad to see they took this step and I hope they make lunch a monthly/quarterly thing. It would also be great to see Coquese on the golf cart with Pat!

Could be but I thought it was Russ Rose that spearheaded the movement to have his team referred to solely as Nittany Lions. I’m also not sure exactly when when the complete changeover happened. Rene always wanted equality for her program so I never understood her reluctance to calling her teams Nittany Lions. The only thing I can think of would be the NIH (not invented here) syndrome which would be something I could see from Rene.

[quote="Psu96, post:1, topic:2661"][url=http://ladylions.com/blog/comments/breaking_bread_with_the_nittany_lions]From LadyLions.com: Breaking bread with the Nittany Lions[/url][/quote]

It’s been a long time coming. When Rene was here, she absolutely drove a wedge between the men’s and women’s programs. There was no spirit of cooperation at all. Things were better between DeChellis and Coquese but there was still room for tons of improvement. Hopefully this time, the antagonism will be buried for good.

Can you elaborate on this? I knew things were always icy with Rene around (my god I hated her), but I just assumed that all went away with her departure.

My perception from afar is that Rene always wanted her WBB program to have a distinct brand, much the way she appeared to insist on running her program by her own rules, regardless of what the administration wanted. I believe most–maybe all–the women’s teams at Penn State were known as Lady Lions at one point, probably in the '90’s, but all except Rene dropped it over the last 10-15 years. I recall the coaches decided individually.

I was a little surprised that Coquese retained “Lady Lions” when she was hired. Maybe the administration thought they had risked enough offense to the WBB alumni and fans with Rene’s firing and stayed with “Lady Lions” to help salve the wounds.

I hope at some point the “Lady Lions” become “Nittany Lions” again.

[quote="Psu96, post:1, topic:2661"][url=http://ladylions.com/blog/comments/breaking_bread_with_the_nittany_lions]From LadyLions.com: Breaking bread with the Nittany Lions[/url][/quote]

Can you elaborate on this? I knew things were always icy with Rene around (my god I hated her), but I just assumed that all went away with her departure.

I can’t give you specifics but I think the years of intersquad bickering simply left too many scars on all parties for things to go away completely even though Rene was gone. But with new regimes in town on both sides now, they can go about looking for ways to jointly improve basketball around here. Hopefully the breaking bread is the first step toward a more sharing atmosphere.

Well given that searching the archives that “The Collegian” maintains has been rendered useless since their redesign, I really don’t have the time to figure out the time line. I know that Volleyball was one of the early adopters, but for some reason I think Soccer was the first. Browsing through the Collegian, both Volleyball & Soccer were still referred to as Lady Lions in the Collegian through the end of the 1999/2000 seasons. I’m sick of bowsing. If someone else wants to pick up from 2000, knock yourself out. I have an email out to the Sports Museum.

Given that ED was here for the RP-BP feud, I’m sure that there were still some historical baggage. I’m sure that some of Portland’s attitude came from trying to up the Admin’s support for her program. I believe that they were still playing in WHite building when she was hired. I think there was one season where PSU opted for hosting a men’s NIT game in lieu of a women’s NCAA game. In some ways, I used to wish that the men’s coach would rock the boat a bit with the Admin. as Rene did. We didn’t get a DBO until after Rene hired one for herself first.

Bottom line, I’m glad to see that that both programs appear to be tearing down, rather than mending fences.

[quote=“timauman, post:17, topic:2661”]Well given that searching the archives that “The Collegian” maintains has been rendered useless since their redesign, I really don’t have the time to figure out the time line. I know that Volleyball was one of the early adopters, but for some reason I think Soccer was the first. Browsing through the Collegian, both Volleyball & Soccer were still referred to as Lady Lions in the Collegian through the end of the 1999/2000 seasons. I’m sick of bowsing. If someone else wants to pick up from 2000, knock yourself out. I have an email out to the Sports Museum.

Given that ED was here for the RP-BP feud, I’m sure that there were still some historical baggage. I’m sure that some of Portland’s attitude came from trying to up the Admin’s support for her program. I believe that they were still playing in WHite building when she was hired. I think there was one season where PSU opted for hosting a men’s NIT game in lieu of a women’s NCAA game. In some ways, I used to wish that the men’s coach would rock the boat a bit with the Admin. as Rene did. We didn’t get a DBO until after Rene hired one for herself first.

Bottom line, I’m glad to see that that both programs appear to be tearing down, rather than mending fences.[/quote]

Agreed.

Jerry was kept asking for a DBO and kept getting denied. Rene just went ahead and hired one (it might have been her son but I wouldn’t swear to that), then Curley had to let Dunn hire one.

The DBO that Portland hired (circa 2001) without clearing the hire with the AD was Cara Consuegra, a former Iowa point guard. Cara was appointed WBB head coach at Charlotte (UNC-C) last April, after working as an assistant for seven years at Marquette.

I do recall that one of Rene’s sons filled the DBO job for a year.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:19, topic:2661”]The DBO that Portland hired (circa 2001) without clearing the hire with the AD was Cara Consuegra, a former Iowa point guard. Cara was appointed WBB head coach at Charlotte (UNC-C) last April, after working as an assistant for seven years at Marquette.

I do recall that one of Rene’s sons filled the DBO job for a year.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up my fuzzy memory.