Nit

Let’s just say we beat MSU & Purdue. Then get to the finals of the B10 tourney. Finish at 16-18, is there any hope getting a NIT bid. I don’t remember if there is still a .500 or greater criteria. But being that we would be on a 7-2 run to finish I was wondering if there would be a possibility of an NIT bid.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:1, topic:899”]Let’s just say we beat MSU & Purdue. Then get to the finals of the B10 tourney. Finish at 16-18, is there any hope getting a NIT bid. I don’t remember if there is still a .500 or greater criteria. But being that we would be on a 7-2 run to finish I was wondering if there would be a possibility of an NIT bid.[/quote]I don’t think so but I’m not positive. I don’t think you will have to worry about this scenario anyways :wink:

[quote="jjepsu92, post:1, topic:899"]Let's just say we beat MSU & Purdue. Then get to the finals of the B10 tourney. Finish at 16-18, is there any hope getting a NIT bid. I don't remember if there is still a .500 or greater criteria. But being that we would be on a 7-2 run to finish I was wondering if there would be a possibility of an NIT bid.[/quote]I don't think so but I'm not positive. I don't think you will have to worry about this scenario anyways ;)
Never know. The most dangerous animal is one that has no fear. Our guys are just playing basketball now. They have no pressure or expectations. Don't have to worry about winning a game so they don't go 0-18 and don't have to worry about seeding. Could be an interesting 2 weeks.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:1, topic:899"]Let's just say we beat MSU & Purdue. Then get to the finals of the B10 tourney. Finish at 16-18, is there any hope getting a NIT bid. I don't remember if there is still a .500 or greater criteria. But being that we would be on a 7-2 run to finish I was wondering if there would be a possibility of an NIT bid.[/quote]I don't think so but I'm not positive. I don't think you will have to worry about this scenario anyways ;)
Never know. The most dangerous animal is one that has no fear. Our guys are just playing basketball now. They have no pressure or expectations. Don't have to worry about winning a game so they don't go 0-18 and don't have to worry about seeding. Could be an interesting 2 weeks.
Between you and Cap I'm loving this optimism. Hell why stop there ,let's win the b10 tourney, go to the dance and win the whole damn thing !!! ;D

Hey I have said all year, we can play with anybody. I also said when we were on the 0 for run which end at 0-12, that once we got our first W we were going to get a few. Well we just went 3-1 and hung with OSU. I don’t think the guys are scared and they know they can play with these guys. DJ only scored 5 yesterday and he’s been our second options. We had a nice bench performance yesterday and Brooks and Jones are playing aggressive, something I was waiting for all year. I really like the way we are playing. Talor hasn’t had to score 30 and we are looking pretty good, nice point distribution. But of course we have to keep it up and playing up at the House that Izzo built is going to be tough, but like I said I don’t think our guys are going up there scared to play Sparty.

Kalin vs Talor round 2! Ding, Ding!

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:5, topic:899”]Hey I have said all year, we can play with anybody. I also said when we were on the 0 for run which end at 0-12, that once we got our first W we were going to get a few. Well we just went 3-1 and hung with OSU. I don’t think the guys are scared and they know they can play with these guys. DJ only scored 5 yesterday and he’s been our second options. We had a nice bench performance yesterday and Brooks and Jones are playing aggressive, something I was waiting for all year. I really like the way we are playing. Talor hasn’t had to score 30 and we are looking pretty good, nice point distribution. But of course we have to keep it up and playing up at the House that Izzo built is going to be tough, but like I said I don’t think our guys are going up there scared to play Sparty.

Kalin vs Talor round 2! Ding, Ding![/quote]I hear you man. We can hang with just about anyone, prob is we can lose to just about anyone. Now if we were playing Northwestern the rest of the year I might be a believer.

There is no longer a .500 criteria, but there is also zero chance that we’d get an NIT invite. Running the table to the Big Ten Tourney finals would still only put our RPI somewhere in the 120-130 range most likely. No way that it would be good enough to get an invite. However, we’d probably be a very good candidate for the CollegeInsider.com tourney or the CBI.

Thanks Frats. What is our RPI now? I would think with wins against MSU, and Purdue. Plus three in the Big 10, that should put the RPI in th high 80’s.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:8, topic:899”]Thanks Frats. What is our RPI now? I would think with wins against MSU, and Purdue. Plus three in the Big 10, that should put the RPI in th high 80’s.[/quote]Okay I thought you were joking at first but now you are starting to really scare me :o

Our RPI today is 191. Using the data from RPIForecast, we’d have an RPI around 165 heading into the BTT if we win both of our games (MSU and Purdue). To get to the finals in Indy, we’d have to beat either NW or Michigan (since winning both would make us likely the 9th or 10th seed), then beat something like MSU and OSU and lose in the finals to someone like Wisky. I just threw a number out there since there aren’t really any models for those results, but I can’t see our RPI jumping more than 50 spots with those 3 wins and a loss on neutral courts. It certainly wouldn’t put us as high as the 80s.

Between you and Cap I'm loving this optimism. Hell why stop there ,let's win the b10 tourney, go to the dance and win the whole damn thing !!! ;D

Why not? UGA did it a year or two ago. Their record wasn’t as bad. But they won four games in four days if my memory is working right. It can be done.

Why not? UGA did it a year or two ago. Their record wasn’t as bad. But they won four games in four days if my memory is working right. It can be done.

Two years ago and their record was very similar. They were 13-16, 4-12 going into the SEC tournament.

I just have a strange feeling about the @MSU game. I really feel that PSU can win that game… and it has nothing to do with PSU’s recent surge. The Purdue game is also very winnable since Hummel is out. They have only played once, but their offense is very subject.

Win against those two teams and anything can happen going into the BTT. :wink:

Oh Lord we are the Pgh Pirates of basketball. I think I might have to go with Penn State Pirates for our new name. Every year the Buccos put out the false hope & hype and by Mid May we can talk about next year. This year was especially interesting-they made ZERO off season improvements and are talking about being a playoff team. Who says you can’t fool all the fans all of the time. Take a look at this thread-HILARIOUS!!

You’re such a downer. WE JUST BEAT MICHIGAN AND NW, NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE! WE ARE GODS!

Here’s what I don’t get. Why the hell are we talking about just making the BTT final and an NIT bid? I think winning the whole thing is just slightly more unlikely than winning out until the final.

Oh Lord we are the Pgh Pirates of basketball. I think I might have to go with Penn State Pirates for our new name. Every year the Buccos put out the false hope & hype and by Mid May we can talk about next year. This year was especially interesting-they made ZERO off season improvements and are talking about being a playoff team. Who says you can't fool all the fans all of the time. Take a look at this thread-HILARIOUS!!

You’re such a downer. WE JUST BEAT MICHIGAN AND NW, NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE! WE ARE GODS!

Here’s what I don’t get. Why the hell are we talking about just making the BTT final and an NIT bid? I think winning the whole thing is just slightly more unlikely than winning out until the final.

I can’t speak for the user that made this post, but there isn’t too much to talk about (other than seeding) when discussing winning the BTT. Everyone knows where we’d head. At least in this instance, it’s playing a “what if”. Certainly the odds of it happening are <1%, but at least there is something new in this thread instead of rehashing the same old arguments.

[quote="hoopla, post:14, topic:899"]Oh Lord we are the Pgh Pirates of basketball. I think I might have to go with Penn State Pirates for our new name. Every year the Buccos put out the false hope & hype and by Mid May we can talk about next year. This year was especially interesting-they made ZERO off season improvements and are talking about being a playoff team. Who says you can't fool all the fans all of the time. Take a look at this thread-HILARIOUS!![/quote]

I can’t speak for the user that made this post, but there isn’t too much to talk about (other than seeding) when discussing winning the BTT. Everyone knows where we’d head. At least in this instance, it’s playing a “what if”. Certainly the odds of it happening are <1%, but at least there is something new in this thread instead of rehashing the same old arguments.

This makes no sense to me. Its like saying its more interesting to discuss what would happen if the Pirates finish in 2nd place (wildcard?) rather than them winning the division. ??? I guess that’s the mindset of the beaten down Penn State hoops faithful. We can’t even dream big. :’( Its also the mindset of a group of people who thought winning last year’s NIT was better than just making the NCAA. I just don’t get it.

Frats you pretty much summed up my inquiry. Because we all know that if we won the BTT we would win it all. :wink:

Not sure where you read or heard anyone say the pirates might make the playoffs this year. I’m a big as pirate fan as any and I haven’t heard one person suggest that from management down to talk show callers. I think you are confusing the overblown ‘dynasty’ comment last week.

13 game winning streak baby.