PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

NIT-ology

Might as well start it now.

Does 15-14 put us in?

Gotta get to 15-14 first.

I think we can go 3-3 down the stretch. We always seem to beat up on Northwestern.

We can’t end on 15-14, so can’t really say anything. 15-14, 1-1 and I’d think we’re in and playing on the road. RPI will be too good to leave us out. 15-14 and lose on Thursday in Indy and we might need to start the CBI-ology, but we’ll end up somewhere if we have a .500 record.

The key will be: Do the players want to play in the NIT? They showed little desire tonight when the NCAA tournament was on the line.

I disagree. I think they showed plenty of desire, it just came after they dug themselves a big hole.

Well, I dont think theyd put us in the CBI. I think Curely and ED would turn it down, just like they supposedly did in 07-08.

First, I don’t believe they turned it down in 07-08.

Second, I don’t see any way they’d turn down the chance to continue the career of their seniors.

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:1926"]Gotta get to 15-14 first.[/quote]

I think we can go 3-3 down the stretch. We always seem to beat up on Northwestern.

Good thing about playing Northwestern is that they are much more of an outside shooting team than other Big Ten teams are. I think that’s why we have a lot of success against them.

You don’t just get “put in”, you have to pay an entry fee. I think it may have been like a quarter mil.

They showed desire throughout the 2nd half, just not at the start of the game. MSU got hot. They were due for a good game like this after suffering some setbacks themselves. The NCAA tournament is on the line in every game. One loss doesn’t decide it. We split the season series with MSU. That’s good. We beat Wisconsin, something very important to our chances. We were robbed from a road win at Purdue and split with Illinois. We have the #6 SOS in the country. Considering these facts, we are a few wins away from putting ourselves in position to make the tournament. We can’t allow our opponents to do what they like to do when they play us.

We have an awful lot of work to do to get back into the NCAA tournament hunt. Going 4-2 would be the absolute bare minimum and then we would probably have to win 2 games in the Big Ten Tournament to have any chance of making it. That would leave us with an 18-14 record. Just doesn’t look that great to me though. We REALLY need to go 5-1 the rest of the regular season.

Hate to rain on your parade, but 4-2 is a longshot and 5-1 look near impossible. Going to have to win at least 2 road games and then beat either OSU or Wisconsin on top of that.

When we can’t even beat UM at home I don’t think taking the two home games we need outside of all that lightly makes sense either. It would take an amazing run.

I’ll be rooting them on til the very end, but they were always on thin ice and blew a couple of games they should have won for a number of reasons - can’t afford it, will ultimately cost them it seems.

I think winning at Northwestern seems easier than winning at home without Brooks against Michigan.

Could you indulge us? Which games did PSU blow? I can only think of one game that PSU blew the entire season. Home vs Michigan. Did we blow it at Purdue, or was it highway robbery? We could have blown the game at Indiana when they made their run, but we didn’t. We could have blown the game against Iowa, but we didn’t. @ Illinois and @ MSU are tough places to play. We should feel good about splitting with these teams. We have work to do, but I don’t think we’re on thin ice. We are on strong footing. We just have to play the game of basketball like we know we can from start to finish. We went though this 3 game losing streak. It was tough, but now we can use the final 6 games to bounce back and regain our composure. All is not lost, and we still got a fighting chance at this thing, but we gotta make it happen for ourselves. It won’t be given to us.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:13, topic:1926"]When we can't even beat UM at home I don't think taking the two home games we need outside of all that lightly makes sense either. It would take an amazing run.[/quote]

I think winning at Northwestern seems easier than winning at home without Brooks against Michigan.

I do not. But it’s probably close.

Well certainly on paper the 2 Northwestern games should be our easiest games in our remaining regular season schedule. We have to have 2 wins there.

Yeah of course MSU just got hot, its never because of PSU. Every team just gets hot or just gets lucky against PSU. Its been that way all season and for the past 8 years. And when its not the other team just having a good night, its the refs, right?

This team will be lucky if they finish 2-4. Winning at the Barn and Kohl Center? Good luck. They just got throttled by a Michigan State team that lost 5 of their last 6, including terrible losses to Iowa and Wisconsin.

One loss doesn’t decide it, but 11+ losses do.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:13, topic:1926"]I'll be rooting them on til the very end, but they were always on thin ice and blew a couple of games they should have won for a number of reasons - can't afford it, will ultimately cost them it seems.[/quote]

Could you indulge us? Which games did PSU blow? I can only think of one game that PSU blew the entire season. Home vs Michigan. Did we blow it at Purdue, or was it highway robbery? We could have blown the game at Indiana when they made their run, but we didn’t. We could have blown the game against Iowa, but we didn’t. @ Illinois and @ MSU are tough places to play. We should feel good about splitting with these teams. We have work to do, but I don’t think we’re on thin ice. We are on strong footing. We just have to play the game of basketball like we know we can from start to finish. We went though this 3 game losing streak. It was tough, but now we can use the final 6 games to bounce back and regain our composure. All is not lost, and we still got a fighting chance at this thing, but we gotta make it happen for ourselves. It won’t be given to us.

You seem like the type of person who’s either incredibly optimistic or willfully ignorant. I can’t figure out which.

We’re on anything but solid footing right now I’m afraid. Had we closed out Michican, we’d be OK. 6-6 and you could convince me PSU had a legitimate shot at going 4-2 down the stretch. 5-1? Too tall of a task if you ask me. Hence, why I’m opening up the NIT thread.

Now back on topic, what’s our opinion of the bare minimum to get into the NIT field?

It’s never because of PSU? PSU has to defend the 3 point shot better, and mix-in the 1-3-1 zone. Every team just gets hot or just gets lucky against PSU? I don’t know how you could say that. You could say the same thing for PSU’s opponents. (PSU just got hot in the 2nd half against Wisconsin, or PSU got lucky it got hot when the played Indiana) That way of thinking can work both ways. It all starts on the defensive end. PSU is a solid team this year, but they play in a tough conference where wins can be hard to come by. noobd, you made it clear that you didn’t expect the team to do anything this year, then you jumped on the bandwagon after a few wins, then after the team suffers a defeat, you revert back to this “i told you so” detraction. There’s no denying that a referee decision decided the Purdue game. There were some pivotal calls in other games (like the 4th foul on Frazier that seemed to swing the momentum of the Michigan game). I’m not one to complain about calls, because we could and should have recovered from most of them, but can we ignore the facts?

[quote=“noobd, post:18, topic:1926”]This team will be lucky if they finish 2-4. Winning at the Barn and Kohl Center? Good luck. They just got throttled by a Michigan State team that lost 5 of their last 6, including terrible losses to Iowa and Wisconsin.

One loss doesn’t decide it, but 11+ losses do.[/quote]

The sky is blue, and the grass is green. Our next game is all we can concern ourselves with as well. We have some big games remaining on our schedule, which will each be opportunities to make an impact. I think it’s a mistake to look too far ahead. If we take care of business, and try to pull a few upsets, we give ourselves a chance.