PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Nice Illinois reality check

From Brennan’s blurb preview in the Altoona Mirror:

Mirror prediction: Illinois 57, Penn State 55

Comment: The Illini are 10-1 at home this year (the only loss was to No. 1 Ohio State Jan. 22) while the Nittany Lions are 1-5 on the road.

Mirror prediction record: 16-4

[right]- Mark Brennan[/right]

This is no doubt a difficult game to win. I think the “immeasurable factor” is the guys’ will. They know they could have beaten OSU on the road and the did beat PU on the road. I really think they expect to win. I’m not saying they will…but I do expect some fireworks.

Success against them notwithstanding, that gym is a hole to play in (or out of). I think Weber comes up with something to try and rattle us. We’ll be in it and that’s enough. We’ll have our chance. To read their boards, you’d think Battle was a walking incarnation of Jordan. They have to know we have other bullets in the gun but I don’t see Bub cracking 20 tonight. I think it’s Brooks tonight with the hot hand, win or lose. He’s hot, he’s defending like a machine and he’s the key.

We are 8 point road doggies, which seems like a fairly decent number considering we just beat them a few weeks back… but seems to jive with what TJB is saying here: they are a tough out at home, might be some people needing to manage their expectations as far as tonight goes.

Then give me the 8. I’m down for an imaginary dime.

We are 8 point road doggies, which seems like a fairly decent number considering we just beat them a few weeks back.. but seems to jive with what TJB is saying here: they are a tough out at home, might be some people needing to manage their expectations as far as tonight goes.

Then give me the 8. I’m down for an imaginary dime.

I think +8 is a pretty good play here also, have a hard time believing this one won’t be close given our recent history. Would feel better if you were on the underdog ML play though. :slight_smile:

What was the ML? Something like 15?

+295

total for the game is set around 129.5

Mark it 8, dude.

Then give me the 8. I'm down for an imaginary dime.

Mark it 8, dude.

I’m in awe!

Moneyline now seems to be -400 +330, spread is 8.5, -110. I think this means if you take them even(no points), you win 330 by betting 100 on PSU. You need to bet 400 to win 100 on the Illini. If you take or give the 8.5, you need to bet 110 to win 100.

Wow, 330 on 100 bet(you can of course do fraction of this). Maybe not likely, but tempting. IMO, the points are a solid bet, but the moneyline sure is enticing. I feel like Homer Simpson when he has chocolate. Hmmm…330. :wink:

What was the ML? Something like 15?

+295

Are you sure this was for the 2 game series? :wink:

[quote="Freethrow_Lion, post:7, topic:1885"]What was the ML? Something like 15?[/quote]

+295

Last night, I had be the under. Given recent history between these 2 teams, I thought it was a very safe bet.

When you make a bet like that, you become more conscious of the total score and the pace of the game. I always figure that a point total of around 130 makes for a pace of 3 points per minute (120), with the remaining points (10) being accounted for with all the fouling at the end of the game.

The teams came out at a scorching rate. They should have had about 30 points at the 10:00 mark, but they had 36. With 5:00 to go in the first half, they should have been at 45, but were at 55.

The scoring stopped after that. The two teams scored only 17 over the next 10 minutes and a total of 64 more points for the rest of the game.