PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Nice article on Ross Travis on Lion's Den

I’m looking forward to seeing our incoming freshmen.

http://www.bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1205433

I find it interesting that a lot of people are calling next year an “ugly” year before the team can even assemble.
Yes the team has to replace four senior leaders and yes Lewis and Ross and the big dudes are freshmen, but you just never know what will happen until it happens. By next November if we see that it just isn’t there with this team due to a lack of experience, then one can start using that “u” word.

But reading about the enthusiasm that kids like Ross Travis will bring to the team, I ask who has the right to label these kids and this 2011-2012 team before they truly have a chance to see them play on the court together.

Sports is full of surprises (see VCU & Butler for Exhibits A & B) and this could very well be another one of those surprises.

I agree with you Illini. I honestly think that the guys we have coming in (plus Graham) are at least as athletic as the departing seniors. Lewis looks like he could be another TB, Alexis is at least as big as Andrew Jones and reportedly has more of a shooting touch and better hands, Graham is already bigger than DJ, and Travis might be another Jeff Brooks in time. I think Ackerman redshirts. If Hubbard comes on board, we have more scoring and rebounding help.

We’ll be inexperienced at the beginning of the year, but we might not be bad by the end of the year.

“One never knows who will answer the door when opportunity knocks”.

I do think I sense a real excitement in the interviews, they are ready to hit the floor running. IF Tim gets them and shows them how they need to work and they respond to it, it could be a nice building year.

I’d love to see PSU utilize their speed and start getting a few more transition buckets. Hopefully that day will come soon!

It kind of surprised me that, with our guards and Jeff being our biggest assets, we didn’t run more the past two years. Our big guys never seemed to rebound and fire a quick outlet pass to our guards. The only reasons I think we didn’t do that is that (a) Ed knew our top six guys would play 35 minutes a game each and a “rebound and walk the ball up the floor” approach kept them from getting gassed and (b) DJ, Drew Jones and to some extent Jeff, weren’t really running type players.

Maybe next year, Ed figures to go nine or ten deep and run, run, run.

I think Ed has always wanted to run but just never had the depth to do it. BUT… It might be the best way to play next year given our personnel and experience, be very interested in seeing what Ed decides to do with these guys… I mean, we had 2 very good scorers that could create their own shot this past season… I don’t see that being a viable option offensively this coming season.

I think it was a combination of not having any strong rebounders and needing to slow it down. While we were good overall in rebounding, I think we accomplished that because we deployed all 5 guys on the defensive glass. By doing that we do not have guys getting down the court in transition. DJ and AJ were clearly not transition players and neither was a “presence” on the defensive glass. Hopefully, Graham, Sasa, Billy and Pete can be better rebounders than DJ, Jeff and AJ allowing our guards and wings to run.

OK. You guys are getting me psyched for next season already.

Loved the quotes about his defense. I think this guy is going to play from day 1.

Excellent article and film!

He has that same dribble/drive spin move Jeff used this year. Or as Yogi would say, “Deja Vu all over again.”

It seems like he could be Jeff Brooks reincarnated. Let’s just hope he doesn’t take until his senior season to come out of his shell.

It seems like he could be Jeff Brooks reincarnated. Let's just hope he doesn't take until his senior season to come out of his shell.

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t think we have to worry about that. He seems to have a ton of self confidence. I hope he learns to go to his left more often.

If he really is 210 he weighs more than Brooks too. I think Brooks’ lack of strength hurt him in the beginning.

Maybe I’m just making this up, but didn’t Brooks also get sick before his sophomore season and lose some weight?

I dunno if he was sick. I doubt that helped his progression. I know he showed up an inch taller than Travis and a MAX 200 pounds for freshman year.

If he really is 210 he weighs more than Brooks too. I think Brooks' lack of strength hurt him in the beginning.

Maybe I’m just making this up, but didn’t Brooks also get sick before his sophomore season and lose some weight?

Yes he did get some kind of bug for extended period during summer workouts.