NFL going to 18 games

Question for the old timers…
Isn’t this the 3rd time management has played this card? That is decreasing exhibition games in exchange for adding regular season games.
I’m very glad I don’t watch the NFL any longer. 20 something 4 hour games would make me even more crazy!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5294399

Of course you know management will add more exhibition games shortly AFTER the contract.

P.S. That is 3rd time in my memory. Who knows; they may have used this ploy more times.

I’m not ancient but I remember the 14 to 16 switch when I was a wee tyke. I’d rather the 18 games, more parlays. :wink:

This isn’t even close to a done deal. They’ve been talking about this for almost a year, and it appears the NFLPA is going to drag this out to use it as leverage in the next CBA’s negotiations

Would be surprised if this didn’t happen soon, but I"m not happy about it.

Professional sports are all going to hell in search of the mighty dollar, and college ain’t far behind it.

They would still play 20 games per year. The only difference is that there would be 2 exhibition games instead of 4 and 18 regular season games instead of 16. Won’t impact ticket sales at all since teams charge the same for exhibition tickets as they do for regular season games. And they are part of the season ticket package. The only thing this impacts is parking, concessions and fantasy football leagues.

20 games, that is, until the NFL starts adding more exhibition games. Like I said eariler, the NFL has been down this trail many times before.

Now players will demand higher salaries since they’re playing 2 more regular season games (since they “only” get a fat stipend for the weeks of training camp).

Players can always “demand.” BUT management signs the checks. Of course, management is too busy now trying to figure the benefits of a “lock out.”

They will be bound by the salary cap – which is a percentage of revenue. The new CBA will be interesting.

1. There used to be six exhibition games.

2. The big thing I remember about the NFL exhibition season was the College All Star game. It featured a team of “all stars” from the incoming class of rookies vs the reigning NFL champion at Soldier Field in Chicago. It was hyped up pretty well. (Google to find out details).

[quote=“Speed, post:10, topic:1232”]1. There used to be six exhibition games.

1. The big thing I remember about the NFL exhibition season was the College All Star game. It featured a team of “all stars” from the incoming class of rookies vs the reigning NFL champion at Soldier Field in Chicago. It was hyped up pretty well. (Google to find out details). [/quote]

Yeah, I remember the All Star game. It was always on TV and very well hyped. BUT that was the OLD DAYS in many ways. Much of training camp at that time was conditioning. Many/most players had off season jobs. The year round weigh training and conditioning is MUCH different now. Of course, so is the money!!
For a good training camp book in that era read “Paper Lion” by George Plimpton. He wrote a sequel called “Mad Ducks and Bears.” Detroit Lion players Alex Karras was the “Mad Duck” and John Gordy was the “Bear.”

I’ve been hearing about this for years, but you are right Tom.

This issue, believe it or not, is usually driven by the Players Association. Right now, as mjg pointed out, ticket sales would stay the same. There would be a few more TV dollars, but this is a card played by the PA to increase the paychecks of the players. Owners are the ones who drag their feet.

I don’t know what the NFL was like back when you watched it, but the games certainly aren’t “4 hour games” today. And they are much shorter than college games.