PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Next Year's Schedule

Don’t shoot me for asking this while we’re in the middle of this season, but since the team is off this weekend I figured I’d be safe to bring this up.

Does anyone know any rumors about next year’s schedule? I think we ended all our current H-H series this year. I also haven’t heard anything about being in an exempt tourney. Anyone got a feel for PC’s scheduling philosophy?

Given our record in them, that might be a good thing. :slight_smile:

That said, as a fan, I had a great time driving up to Connecticut for the Hall of Fame Tip Off this year and watching the games there.

We know a few things so far:

We have a game against a Pac 12 squad
We have a home match up in the BTT

Everything else? Who knows.

Hopefully a second Big Five school. Boston U maybe?

i don’t know anything about PSU’s sked, but my Illini wife is putting a bug in my ear to go visit her cousins in Maui for the Maui Invitational next Thanksgiving, where Illinois will be playing. Marrying into a college basketball tradition rich school has its benefits, I guess. :slight_smile:

According to the Basketball Traveller’s board, we were looking for a guarantee game for the day after Thanksgiving.

other usual suspects…

BU was looking to start a H/H in Bostin on Nov 16/17

Duquesne was looking for three H/H series on the road

Stanford was looking for a H/H with a high major starting in Palo Alto

Richmond was looking to start a series on the road with a BCS school

Old Dominion was looking to start a series on the road with a BCS school

La Salle was looking to start a series at home

[quote=“timauman, post:6, topic:3023”]According to the Basketball Traveller’s board, we were looking for a guarantee game for the day after Thanksgiving.

other usual suspects…

La Salle was looking to start a series at home[/quote]

I know it’s easier said than done, but we need to schedule some teams on a weekend that will guarantee a really big crowd, even if that means opposing fans are there as well.

Pitt, Cuse, Nova, Maryland, etc.

Does this mean we are likely playing Monday or Tuesday of BT-ACC challenge? Do they even play challenge games on Monday? Just thinking why would our game have to be Friday and not Sunday (Game can’t be on Saturday, Fball is home vs. Wisky, I believe).

According to the [url=http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1][b]Basketball Traveller's[/b] [/url]board, we were looking for a guarantee game for the day after Thanksgiving.

other usual suspects…

La Salle was looking to start a series at home

I know it’s easier said than done, but we need to schedule some teams on a weekend that will guarantee a really big crowd, even if that means opposing fans are there as well.

I don’t agree with that at all. Crowds will show up if we’re playing winning basketball, let’s schedule in a way that best suits what the team is trying to do on the court.

Supply side economics never work, not even in college hoops. :wink:

That doesn’t mean squat. They have had a game at the BJC on the same day as a home football game before. This past season was one example.

According to the [url=http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1][b]Basketball Traveller's[/b] [/url]board, we were looking for a guarantee game for the day after Thanksgiving.

Does this mean we are likely playing Monday or Tuesday of BT-ACC challenge? Do they even play challenge games on Monday? Just thinking why would our game have to be Friday and not Sunday (Game can’t be on Saturday, Fball is home vs. Wisky, I believe).

They don’t yet know when the BT-ACC game will be but they wouldn’t want to schedule a Sunday game then discover the challenge game is Monday, hence they take the safe route and play the other game on Friday.

[quote="timauman, post:6, topic:3023"]According to the [url=http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1][b]Basketball Traveller's[/b] [/url]board, we were looking for a guarantee game for the day after Thanksgiving.

other usual suspects…

La Salle was looking to start a series at home[/quote]

Good luck getting Syracuse to come here (or anywhere)

Jon Perry’s looking for exhibition games for Quincy.

Me Love Cupcakes,

:)  
           Cupcake Monster

[quote="lioncub, post:8, topic:3023"](Game can't be on Saturday, Fball is home vs. Wisky, I believe).[/quote] That doesn't mean squat. They have had a game at the BJC on the same day as a home football game before. This past season was one example.

True, but I really don’t think it turned out all that well in terms of attendance, to be honest. Perhaps I am wrong. I’d be surprised to see it again anytime soon.

When has a home opener not been a disappointment with attendence? I don’t think it’s time to close the book on the football-basketball double header just yet.

[quote="lioncub, post:15, topic:3023"]True, but I really don't think it turned out all that well in terms of attendance, to be honest. Perhaps I am wrong. I'd be surprised to see it again anytime soon.[/quote]

When has a home opener not been a disappointment with attendence? I don’t think it’s time to close the book on the football-basketball double header just yet.

With all the other distractions at the time of this season’s home opener, I wouldn’t use it as proof it won’t work. There was no way to get anyone focused on hoops. No amount of marketing efforts would have made a difference. Everyone was reading about the scandal and not basketball.

[quote="lioncub, post:15, topic:3023"]True, but I really don't think it turned out all that well in terms of attendance, to be honest. Perhaps I am wrong. I'd be surprised to see it again anytime soon.[/quote]

With all the other distractions at the time of this season’s home opener, I wouldn’t use it as proof it won’t work. There was no way to get anyone focused on hoops. No amount of marketing efforts would have made a difference. Everyone was reading about the scandal and not basketball.

True, and the football team lost that game to boot.

I remember talking in business class about how much downtown busnesses would suffer finacially during a football loss. Much fewer people would go out and spend money after a loss than they would after a win.

But, as mjg says, we should take NOTHING from the last home-and-home. Very unique situation.

Actually, fans were super focused that weekend. All through that week there was a push to support the players through the then newly-breaking scandal.

Yes, they were focused on the football game. The way we lost that game was heartbreaking, and the entire game was emotionally draining. No one wanted to watch the basketball team go play Hartford. There were maybe 50 students there that day.