Next Year's 76 Classic in Anaheim

While watching the Butler-Minn game on ESPN 2,they posted the 2010 field. It looks like PSU will be spending next year’s Thanksgiving in Anaheim.

Tubby’s boys are looking tough.

Okie State, Stanford, VaTech, UNLV, Depaul, CS-Northridge, and Tulsa will all be there also. Hopefully PSU will make some noise in the tournament and propel them to a big season.

But do they use The Rock?

That is quite a field. Guess we won’t get VT in the ACC Challenge.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:2, topic:360"]Okie State, Stanford, VaTech, UNLV, Depaul, CS-Northridge, and Tulsa will all be there also. Hopefully PSU will make some noise in the tournament and propel them to a big season.[/quote]

Is there an @VT game locked into next year? I would wonder if they would move it because of the tourney. It’s also not unheard of for teams to play twice due to a tourney.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:2, topic:360"]Okie State, Stanford, VaTech, UNLV, Depaul, CS-Northridge, and Tulsa will all be there also. Hopefully PSU will make some noise in the tournament and propel them to a big season.[/quote]

Is there an @VT game locked into next year? I would wonder if they would move it because of the tourney. It’s also not unheard of for teams to play twice due to a tourney.

No. The B10/ACC matchups are reset every year.

I thought UVA was the B10/ACC game this year and the VT game was a regular OOC game.

Yep, I saw this too. Was too lazy to post it though :wink:

Pretty solid field. An upgrade from the Charleston Classic, but once again PSU has to win.

VT was a home-and-home series, I thought. We might see them twice next year, but that’s unlikely.

I thought UVA was the B10/ACC game this year and the VT game was a regular OOC game.

oops. You’re right.

Mentioned by Katz, too

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4692321&name=katz_andy

Yeah, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to see if Va Tech would be willing to have the away game part of the deal played in 2011 just to avoid the potential of meeting twice. But if we play them twice, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Field looks okay, some improvement strength-wise over Charleston Classic, but not super tough. On big improvement would be the TV coverage – all the game are featured on ESPN2 or ESPNU this season. Hpefully, we won’t lose the first game.

At first glance the teams appear to be a slight improvement over the teams in Charleston this season…although I guess we wouldn’t want them to be drastically better since we lost twice :frowning: I do wish there was at least one elite team in the field since I can’t imagine we’ll schedule an elite team outside of a tourney.

Speaking of elite, check out the field for Maui next season (in Katz’s article)…wow!

[quote="psuphiman80, post:5, topic:360"]Is there an @VT game locked into next year? I would wonder if they would move it because of the tourney. It's also not unheard of for teams to play twice due to a tourney.[/quote]

Yeah, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to see if Va Tech would be willing to have the away game part of the deal played in 2011 just to avoid the potential of meeting twice. But if we play them twice, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Field looks okay, some improvement strength-wise over Charleston Classic, but not super tough. On big improvement would be the TV coverage – all the game are featured on ESPN2 or ESPNU this season. Hpefully, we won’t lose the first game.

Thanks. I agree it wouldn’t be a big deal, I’m just trying to think about next years schedule when we on this board will attempt to put together all the puzzles pieces of the schedule and try to guess what it will look like.

Well, I had a free place to stay in Charleston, but had to decline because my nephew graduated from his computer school (anyone looking to hire a network / internet security guy?) last Thursday – and out of towners came in for the weekend. So I felt obligated to stay in town. Anaheim is about 2 hours from my brother’s house, so maybe I can make up for it and go next year. Anyone up for the trip?

Even in this crappy economy…he should have no problem finding a job in that field.

Too bad we can’t be in the Puerto Rico Classic, since that’s where I spend my Thanksgivings each year, along with my whole family, all 15 of us. This year, we even stayed in the same hotel as the teams, and you constantly are running into the players. I actually took an elevator ride with Tom Crean–great guy–and asked him to please stop recruiting so well, because beating Indiana for a change felt really good. He responded “Sorry, but I wouldn’t count on that happening again. Last year sucked, but we’re already putting it behind us. But good luck, you guys got a pretty good team too.”

Jim Larranaga–also a very nice guy, and his players were easily the nicest and most approachable, with Indiana’s a distant second and Ole Miss third. And if Penn State had been staying there, you can bet I’d be trying to chill with Talor and the crew.