PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Newbill spreading the word

“Of course, I’m going to try to get some guys there,” said the 6-foot-4 sophomore guard, who transferred from Southern Mississippi to Penn State last week. "Penn State is a good school, nice facilities. We got some good coaches up there.

Lions’ Newbill wants company

Video Interview

Obviously exposure is key.

But how does today’s recruit see this article? Probably not in print edition. They’re probably not looking around philly.com for articles. Does spreading the word today rely nearly solely on social media in a situation like this?

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:2605”]Obviously exposure is key.

But how does today’s recruit see this article? Probably not in print edition. They’re probably not looking around philly.com for articles. Does spreading the word today rely nearly solely on social media in a situation like this?[/quote]

Probably. Newbill tweets the article/video and with just a couple of retweets from his followers, his interview is out there.

He’s getting the word out there probably in the same way Cam Williams is doing for the football team this year, and a couple guys have done over the past few. Social media is the leading edge, then camps and word of mouth, etc.

I don’t even necessarily mean him.

Just in general. The increased exposure in the Philly market is good, but is that exposure reaching the recruits or just us fans?

Hopefully Newbill’s help can jump start the Philly connection.

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:2605”]Obviously exposure is key.

But how does today’s recruit see this article? Probably not in print edition. They’re probably not looking around philly.com for articles. Does spreading the word today rely nearly solely on social media in a situation like this?[/quote]

I’m assuming this did hit the Phily Inquirer print edition. I don’t have the paper yet but I’ll try to check.

I didn’t suggest it wasn’t in the print edition (though anymore, it’s possible)…I just meant I don’t figure too many teens read a printed paper.

Once we got Newbill to transfer to us I started to think that we have a good chance of tapping into Philly. With Newbill and Coach Chambers we have a good chance of landing more Philly products in the future.

Most Philly high school coaches don’t even know PSU BBall exists. Just as important as getting the potenial recruits in and around the Philly area to recognize PSU BBall, it is just as important, if not more to get the general Philly BBall scene to recognize. I would have to believe that Pat is going to be down in the Philly area giving talks, shaking hands, shop up at a local camp or two. Herb Magee will certainly potenially talk to a few people about Pat and what he is doing up at PSU.

Forget Philly !!!

Now that the CornHuskers are in the BIG TEN, it cracks the fertile recruiting area of Nebraska WIDE OPEN !!! We can go there and drain it of all the talent, it’s just there for the pickin’ !!! ;D

Philly kids to PSU?? No way can’t happen. Location is just horrible ::slight_smile:

Sure they do! …along with their morning coffee and grapefruit.

Once we got Newbill to transfer to us I started to think that we have a good chance of tapping into Philly. With Newbill and Coach Chambers we have a good chance of landing more Philly products in the future.

Forget Philly !!!

Now that the CornHuskers are in the BIG TEN, it cracks the fertile recruiting area of Nebraska WIDE OPEN !!! We can go there and drain it of all the talent, it’s just there for the pickin’ !!! ;D

Oh, come on Skeeza…just look at the talent oozing from this team from Lincoln East. In fact, I think that’s Lar standing on the left.

1979?? - - Looks like 1959

Now that I have had a little time to look at the photo I posted, Alex Stivrins actually played in the NBA. So maybe there is something to recruiting Nebraska.

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:2605"]Obviously exposure is key.

Probably. Newbill tweets the article/video and with just a couple of retweets from his followers, his interview is out there.

And his followers include Rysheed Jordan, Rondae Jefferson, and Ja’Quan Newton, to name a few.

Jeff Rice also does a story on Newbill.