PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New Verbal - Ross Travis

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/25602403745

http://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/25592070435

Nice. Got the feeling this was going to happen soon. I wonder if Fant follows suit?

Strengths: Travis is an athletic versatile player who can play several positions on the floor. He has made big strides in his ballhandling and his mid-range shot has shown improvement. He has long arms and can defend multiple positions on the court. Travis has excellent court vision and is a good passer.

Weaknesses:
He needs to continue to expand his shooting range to keep opposing defenses honest.

Bottom Line:
He emerged this summer after playing primarily JV ball as a sophomore. Travis has had back issues, which has caused him to miss part of the second half of his junior season. He comes from a basketball family and has plenty of potential, but needs to stay healthy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/recruiting/player-Ross-Travis-99240

IF the verbal is true,
I will go “on record”…I LOVE his tapes. Seems to be a strong kid with solid skills with excellent court awareness. It seems like he likes to play a type of “point forward.” BUT next season’s team could be totally wide open. So who knows who will be playing where??

GREAT VERBAL!! Congrats to Ross and the PSU coaches.

P.S. I don’t give a good crap who allegedly “offered” him or who didn’t!

He seems like he will be a 4 or a 3. Sasa and Graham will be at the 4, Marshall and Woodyard might be at the 3 (both undersized though).

Nice, a SF with some size. I hope the kid’s a player. Seems like a good pickup. Welcome aboard Ross!

[quote=“noobd, post:2, topic:1364”]Nice. Got the feeling this was going to happen soon. I wonder if Fant follows suit?

[quote]Strengths:
Travis is an athletic versatile player who can play several positions on the floor. He has made big strides in his ballhandling and his mid-range shot has shown improvement. He has long arms and can defend multiple positions on the court. Travis has excellent court vision and is a good passer.

Weaknesses:
He needs to continue to expand his shooting range to keep opposing defenses honest.

Bottom Line:
He emerged this summer after playing primarily JV ball as a sophomore. Travis has had back issues, which has caused him to miss part of the second half of his junior season. He comes from a basketball family and has plenty of potential, but needs to stay healthy.[/quote][/quote]

I’m wondering if Travis was following Fant’s twitter, noticing that George seemed to be having a good time at PSU, and decided to pull the trigger before Fant did. I have reason to believe that we might have a silent verbal which would mean that there was really only one ship open.

Then Ed could start working on his 2012 pick. It would be nice to be ahead of the recruiting game.

Silent Verbal? Have you been hanging out with Mr. BWI this weekend? That is his favorite phrase.
I like to welcome Travis to the Blue and White.

Now if your sources are solid, I commend the coaching staff for getting the kids after what started looking like a tough recruiting season with the decommit and transfers. PSU has got 2 players for this seasons frosh class and now 4 kids for next seasons frosh class in roughly 6 months.

Lar, so with this silent and Travis, PSU is “done” with the 11-12 class, right?

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:1364”]IF the verbal is true,
I will go “on record”…I LOVE his tapes. Seems to be a strong kid with solid skills with excellent court awareness. It seems like he likes to play a type of “point forward.” BUT next season’s team could be totally wide open. So who knows who will be playing where??

GREAT VERBAL!! Congrats to Ross and the PSU coaches.

P.S. I don’t give a good crap who allegedly “offered” him or who didn’t![/quote]

BWI and FOS are both reporting that Travis informed Dan Earl yesterday.

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:1364"]Nice. Got the feeling this was going to happen soon. I wonder if Fant follows suit?

[quote]Strengths:
Travis is an athletic versatile player who can play several positions on the floor. He has made big strides in his ballhandling and his mid-range shot has shown improvement. He has long arms and can defend multiple positions on the court. Travis has excellent court vision and is a good passer.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
He emerged this summer after playing primarily JV ball as a sophomore. Travis has had back issues, which has caused him to miss part of the second half of his junior season. He comes from a basketball family and has plenty of potential, but needs to stay healthy.[/quote][/quote]

I’m wondering if Travis was following Fant’s twitter, noticing that George seemed to be having a good time at PSU, and decided to pull the trigger before Fant did. I have reason to believe that we might have a silent verbal which would mean that there was really only one ship open.

WOW, …“silent verbal”…very interesting…sounds like it’s NOT Fant. Is this correct??
Who says we don’t have “insiders??”

[quote="UncleLar, post:7, topic:1364"]I'm wondering if Travis was following Fant's twitter, noticing that George seemed to be having a good time at PSU, and decided to pull the trigger before Fant did. I have reason to believe that we might have a silent verbal which would mean that there was really only one ship open.[/quote] Silent Verbal? Have you been hanging out with Mr. BWI this weekend? That is his favorite phrase. I like to welcome Travis to the Blue and White.

I keep expecting Phil to channel his inner Dean Wormer and announce a double secret silent verbal.

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:1364”]WOW, …“silent verbal”…very interesting…sounds like it’s NOT Fant. Is this correct??
Who says we don’t have “insiders??” [/quote]

A player’s mother posts here occasionally, Dave Jones comments on things, and Lar hints at a “silent verbal”… Oh yeah, we are really kept in the know. ;D

From what I read on Ryan James’ twitter, Ross cancelled a trip to Minny.

Seems like Ross is a huge get. I love that rebounding is considered among his positives.

Also Love that Coach is bringing in a solid class despite last year’s issues. Good luck to Ross and the rest of the new Lions.

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:1364"]Nice. Got the feeling this was going to happen soon. I wonder if Fant follows suit?

[quote]Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Lar I know better than to doubt your sources but I just took a look at Fant’s twitter and he certainly doesn’t seem like he just lost out on an opportunity to play here. His post was dated three hours ago and if Ross did inform Earl yesterday then Fant should have known. We’ll find out in the coming days since there is no longer any reason to keep the verbal silent I guess.

Hopefully they stay committed to being Lions, no matter the outcome of this season.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:14, topic:1364"]Also Love that Coach is bringing in a solid class despite last year's issues. Good luck to Ross and the rest of the new Lions.[/quote]

Hopefully they stay committed to being Lions, no matter the outcome of this season.

I would expect all the commits to sign LOI’s during the fall signing period since all have committed this early.

SHU is going to have to look at some other guys. :wink: Just pulling your chain noobd. Seems like you’ve been taking a pounding this weekend. Hang in there. The season is going to start soon. I’m sure somebody else will end up with the bullseye.

Gopherhole

Some glowing reviews over on Minnesota’s message board. Consensus seems to be that if he stays healthy he can be quite the player.

More positive reviews.

http://twitter.com/GophersNow/status/25648095551

Gophers got their man Joe Coleman, but I also think Penn St got steal in Chaska's Ross Travis. He has All-B10 potential if he stays healthy.

[quote]Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Lar I know better than to doubt your sources but I just took a look at Fant’s twitter and he certainly doesn’t seem like he just lost out on an opportunity to play here. His post was dated three hours ago and if Ross did inform Earl yesterday then Fant should have known. We’ll find out in the coming days since there is no longer any reason to keep the verbal silent I guess.

There are lots of reasons why a verbal might be silent. Not sure why you think those reasons have suddenly disappeared. May I remind you that it’s the athlete who discloses a verbal not the school.