PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

New to the boards

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make my first post here an introduction of myself as a fan just to kind of get things rolling.

I’m 24 and have been a fan of Penn State basketball (all sports) from the time I was able to really start becoming a fan of sports…so about 8 or 9 years old. I’m not an alum…only a fan. I’d have the hoop that you hang on the door and pretend that I was Penn State, going through each round of the tournament…eventually playing Duke in the championship and winning at the buzzer ::slight_smile:

My first real emotional memory was of course…the 2001 victory over North Carolina. Being that I was 13 at the time, I was just starting to come into my own as a fan. That moment elevated me to diehard status.

My favorite players in no particular order are Crispin, Ivory, Battle and Cornley. All recent I know but I’m young, so cut me some slack!

I’m very excited about the young nucleus that we have and the fact that Chambers plays a deep bench. It may kill us early on by playing so many young, inexperienced players. But by playing a lot early on…even if some end up not being the most talented…they will be able to develop into great role players that are experienced and know what it takes to win in the B1G.

I love the philosophy and high energy that Chambers brings. He has the initial make up of a great college coach. We’ll see what happens. But I’m excited!

I watch/listen to every game and just started researching some recruits, but I’m not a B1G statistician quite yet and I don’t know the ins and outs of every team in the conference. Some of you on here may need to help me out from time to time but I’m here to learn a little bit, debate a little bit and simply just have fun talking PSU hoops.

It may not be the best or most emotional introduction out there, but I figured it was better than just diving right into a conversation. You guys seem like a pretty tight knit group where everyone is familiar with everyone else.

WE ARE…

Welcome to the board!

Nice introduction, happy to have you on the board :slight_smile:

At least you introduced yourself. I just jumped into the discussion and doubt anyone even noticed. Welcome to the forum. And since no one else bothered to reply, allow me …PENN STATE!!!

Well, I’ve been lurking these boards since the beginning of last season (that’s when I stumbled upon it) and finally decided to make the jump, register, and start to chime in a bit!

I wanted so badly to get out to Indy to the tournament but being that I’m in Harrisburg, it would be a bit of a drive and my work schedule just didn’t allow it at the time. I regret it everytime I think about any conference tournament lol. I had to even watch the Temple game from my office and when Battle tied it, I was jumping around and going nuts. The bad thing is…not many people understand. I’ve drilled my friends long enough to where they at least don’t think of PSU basketball as a joke anymore. I need a place to share all of my thoughts and emotions! That’s why I came here.

You went to work during the first round of the tourny?!!??!?!

…rookie. ;D :wink:

[quote=“CWolfe28, post:1, topic:2830”]Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make my first post here an introduction of myself as a fan just to kind of get things rolling.

I’m 24 and have been a fan of Penn State basketball (all sports) from the time I was able to really start becoming a fan of sports…so about 8 or 9 years old. I’m not an alum…only a fan. I’d have the hoop that you hang on the door and pretend that I was Penn State, going through each round of the tournament…eventually playing Duke in the championship and winning at the buzzer ::slight_smile:

My first real emotional memory was of course…the 2001 victory over North Carolina. Being that I was 13 at the time, I was just starting to come into my own as a fan. That moment elevated me to diehard status.

My favorite players in no particular order are Crispin, Ivory, Battle and Cornley. All recent I know but I’m young, so cut me some slack!

I’m very excited about the young nucleus that we have and the fact that Chambers plays a deep bench. It may kill us early on by playing so many young, inexperienced players. But by playing a lot early on…even if some end up not being the most talented…they will be able to develop into great role players that are experienced and know what it takes to win in the B1G.

I love the philosophy and high energy that Chambers brings. He has the initial make up of a great college coach. We’ll see what happens. But I’m excited!

I watch/listen to every game and just started researching some recruits, but I’m not a B1G statistician quite yet and I don’t know the ins and outs of every team in the conference. Some of you on here may need to help me out from time to time but I’m here to learn a little bit, debate a little bit and simply just have fun talking PSU hoops.

It may not be the best or most emotional introduction out there, but I figured it was better than just diving right into a conversation. You guys seem like a pretty tight knit group where everyone is familiar with everyone else.

WE ARE…[/quote]

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard! You’re like another me ;). I’m 22 and in Harrisburg.

Everyone knows when we go to the Big Dance you change your vacation schedule despite what plans you’ve made for the year. 8)

Welcome.

We need a bit more young blood around here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Given what we spend on marketing, I’m bummed people still find us by stumbling in.

Welcome CW !
Good to have you aboard I’ve been a college bball fan since my family got cable TV back in the early 60s … weaned on Big 5 bball … turned into a 'Nova fan ( and still am ) because one of my baseball teamates from Susquehanna Twp HS ended up playiing at 'Nova in the Howard Porter years … after ending up at Penn State, given I’m a fan of the underdog, it was easy to to open my heart to the PSU hoopsters.

Also a lurker of this board for many years … seem to me to be a collection of misfits ( said endearingly ) … with good hearts … lots of opinions … with all sharing a sincere desire to see PSU hoops succeed.

Feel free to leap into the melee … I did with What I Wanna … … was a bit alarming at first as I seem to be taken for the reincarnation of a less than revered individual. Probably should have formally introduced myself as you did.

[quote=“jlr820, post:13, topic:2830”]Welcome CW !
Good to have you aboard I’ve been a college bball fan since my family got cable TV back in the early 60s … weaned on Big 5 bball … turned into a 'Nova fan ( and still am ) because one of my baseball teamates from Susquehanna Twp HS ended up playiing at 'Nova in the Howard Porter years … after ending up at Penn State, given I’m a fan of the underdog, it was easy to to open my heart to the PSU hoopsters.

Also a lurker of this board for many years … seem to me to be a collection of misfits ( said endearingly ) … with good hearts … lots of opinions … with all sharing a sincere desire to see PSU hoops succeed.

Feel free to leap into the melee … I did with What I Wanna … … was a bit alarming at first as I seem to be taken for the reincarnation of a less than revered individual. Probably should have formally introduced myself as you did.[/quote]

There was cable tv in the 60’s? What channels were on then?

;D

Nice.

[quote="jlr820, post:13, topic:2830"]Welcome CW ! Good to have you aboard I've been a college bball fan since [b]my family got cable TV back in the early 60s[/b] .. weaned on Big 5 bball .. turned into a 'Nova fan ( and still am ) because one of my baseball teamates from Susquehanna Twp HS ended up playiing at 'Nova in the Howard Porter years .. after ending up at Penn State, given I'm a fan of the underdog, it was easy to to open my heart to the PSU hoopsters.

Feel free to leap into the melee … I did with What I Wanna … … was a bit alarming at first as I seem to be taken for the reincarnation of a less than revered individual. Probably should have formally introduced myself as you did.[/quote]

2 thru 13 ;D

[quote="jlr820, post:13, topic:2830"]Welcome CW ! Good to have you aboard I've been a college bball fan since [b]my family got cable TV back in the early 60s[/b] .. weaned on Big 5 bball .. turned into a 'Nova fan ( and still am ) because one of my baseball teamates from Susquehanna Twp HS ended up playiing at 'Nova in the Howard Porter years .. after ending up at Penn State, given I'm a fan of the underdog, it was easy to to open my heart to the PSU hoopsters.

Actually, there was.

And, it started in Pennsylvania. Here’s a good history of cable tv

Welcome CW ! Good to have you aboard I've been a college bball fan since [b]my family got cable TV back in the early 60s[/b] .. weaned on Big 5 bball .. turned into a 'Nova fan ( and still am ) because one of my baseball teamates from Susquehanna Twp HS ended up playiing at 'Nova in the Howard Porter years .. after ending up at Penn State, given I'm a fan of the underdog, it was easy to to open my heart to the PSU hoopsters.

Feel free to leap into the melee … I did with What I Wanna … … was a bit alarming at first as I seem to be taken for the reincarnation of a less than revered individual. Probably should have formally introduced myself as you did.

FTR - I don’t know if jlr is local or not, but State College was one of the first towns in the country with cable - and we did have it here in the 60s back when it was called CATV (Community Antenna TV). Cable TV got it’s start in the US in Pennsylvania in the 40s (several places have claimed to be the first but they are all towns in the Central PA mountains).

Actually, there was.

And, it started in Pennsylvania. Here’s a good history of cable tv

Okay, so not cable TV as we know it today, but more like a way for people in remote locations to pick up over the air channels. That’s pretty cool. Thanks for posting the link.

I had a college friend from Mahonoy City and when I visited him once his mom made sure that I knew that their town was the first to have cable television in 1948. They’re very proud of that fact.