New PSU walk-on

gopsusports.com: Justin Hamilton out of Penn Hills H.S.

Ryan Harro is also officially on the roster…he had previously been rumored but I don’t recall seeing anything official.

Interesting we’re carrying five walk-ons…seems like a lot for guys who won’t see meaningful minutes. I wonder if it’s to save wear and tear during practice.

The link says he’s a junior. Does anyone know anything about this kid? Did he come from a branch campus? Has he tried out before? Maybe I’m wrong, but it strikes me as unusual to have a junior (except for Rudy) in his first year as a walkon. But hey, good luck to the kid. It’s probably a lot of fun being a part of that team.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:2, topic:183”]Ryan Harro is also officially on the roster…he had previously been rumored but I don’t recall seeing anything official.

Interesting we’re carrying five walk-ons…seems like a lot for guys who won’t see meaningful minutes. I wonder if it’s to save wear and tear during practice.[/quote]

That’s enough for a foreign team.

I Googled the Hamilton kid and he apparently played two years at Penn State Greater Allegheny. He was PSUAC All-Conference both years.

Brings back memories of that thread in which someone asked why PSU doesn’t bring in players from the branch campuses :slight_smile:

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:5, topic:183"]I Googled the Hamilton kid and he apparently played two years at Penn State Greater Allegheny. He was PSUAC All-Conference both years.[/quote]

Brings back memories of that thread in which someone asked why PSU doesn’t bring in players from the branch campuses :slight_smile:

I was thinking the same thing. :slight_smile:

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:5, topic:183"]I Googled the Hamilton kid and he apparently played two years at Penn State Greater Allegheny. He was PSUAC All-Conference both years.[/quote]

I had that in mind when I asked if he was from a branch campus. Good for him making the most of this opportunity.

I had to look it up. Greater Allegheny is the new name for “McKeesport.”

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:2, topic:183"]Ryan Harro is also officially on the roster...he had previously been rumored but I don't recall seeing anything official.

Interesting we’re carrying five walk-ons…seems like a lot for guys who won’t see meaningful minutes. I wonder if it’s to save wear and tear during practice.[/quote]

That’s enough for a foreign team.

Could have saved PSU some recruiting money had they done that the last time they brought in a foreign team :slight_smile:

I had that in mind when I asked if he was from a branch campus. Good for him making the most of this opportunity.

I would think ED would have a soft spot for these kids.

SIAP: Article about Harro

I think having enough guys for a foreign team is a great idea.

The elite women’s programs have had up to six men on their foreign team for years - and I do mean men. There are a couple reasons for this. (1) the theory is that the women will find the competition from men (even non-elite male players) to be tougher than even the best women players, so they should have tougher practices than games and (2) these men often are on partial scholarships and/or books and/or other fees, so it counts as support of women’s programs and helps comply with the federal law.